More power?? Like the new Beemer - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Wondering if honda is going to increase the power of there bike, being an ex-ZX14 rider and sportbikes in general find the goldwing lacking. The comfort is great but sure would like a bit more juice. Even thinking of moving over to a beemer but passenger seat seems not to be as good as the wing which might make the wife complain. So is honda going to step it up when the finally come out with a new model??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Hi Silverbird,
Over all the years of it's production, from Japan to the USA and back again, Mother Honda have been masters of keeping a lid on what they are doing. We have had people speculating about all sorts of changes that Honda are apparently going to make every year and rarely are the rumours even remotely accurate.
We have had folks saying that Honda were issuing a 2 ltr engine and they have been going to do that, since around about when they brought the 1800 out in 2001.

So really, your guess is as good as anyone's, personally I doubt there will be major change, but that is just my guess and I would not have been able to guess the changes for the 2011 model that we now see.

The BMW is indeed an amazing machine, blessed with power and packed with goodies, but then again I have heard some less than favourable reports filtering through, more about the BMW supply chain and service, than any particular fault with the bikes themselves.
I guess though that the end of the day, it is good that there are bikes around to suit everyone. The 1800 Goldwing is more than quick enough for me, it out accelerates most four wheeled vehicles, so can hardly be considered lacking and where it is legal to do so, it has a very fast top end, if you need more, then I doubt a touring machine is for you, sports tourer comes to mind more.
Do let us know here if you do get involved in trying out the Beemer, we would always welcome the report.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I do like the goldwing, just like I said coming from a ZX14 power is lacking. Although I like the power that the new beemer has, my opinion its over the top with electronics to a point where if something goes wrong with them how do you find it. Already has to replace the amplifier on my wing stereo with it blew up and that wasn't cheap. As for a 2 litre wing, why?? I'm sure honda could squeeze a lot more power out of the current engine if they so desired. I did try the a couple of sport tours, yes they are lighter and quicker but lack capacity of the wing and comfort. With all the ponies they can squeeze out of a litre bike I'm sure they could find a few more ponies in the wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

To me the Goldwing is a 2 wheeled motor home, and power is not what it's about. It will cruise all day at highly illegal speeds just above idle. It has plenty of power for what it is designed for. I want comfort above everything else. That's why I like the 1500 better than the 1800. IMO, if you want a sportbike, get a sportbike. Besides the super expensive BMW, the ST1300, FJR1300, and ZG1400 Concours fills the sport touring niche. To me, sport and touring are two totally different things, and aren't really compatible.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

I can see how the raw power of a sportier bike, might be missed by someone moving to a Goldwing, since the Wings have always been about smooth power delivery, with masses of torque, something normally seen as ideal in a touring bike where effortlessness is seen as king. Not seen normally with a sportier model, the revs will usually be seen to go up to maybe twice that of a Wing and it will usually demand much more gear changing, unlikely then, that something like the BMW would be happy to be in top gear at under 30 mph and then to be happy to accelerate smoothly to it's top speed without a gear change.
It is all about what one is used to or favours and we aren't all going to be alike, just as Jerry has stated that he prefers the 1500 to the 1800 and I am the other way round.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

They sure could increase the power if they wanted to and if the beemer starts cutting into the goldwing market they might. The Honda civic with the same 1832ccs (4cyl) has 144 HP, about 26 more than the GL1800 and the car gets about the same fuel economy as the bike. All they need to do is redesign the heads and put in 4 valves with the VTEC system. If they put it in the new 2012 body I will still pass though. They sure ruined a good looking bike IMHO.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: 2008 Gl 1800 P premium Audio
Post imported post

Silverbird There is A guy that makes a Turbo system for the gl1800 I would google it & You should be able to come up with his page He was boasting about 30% increase in Horse power I think he said something like 145 hp @ 7 lbs of boost ! Im not sure Id want to ruin the reliablity of the goldwing but then again its free will brother I had asked him if he made a Turbo unit for a gl1500 Like I own & Like I said Im not really sure Id want to Ruin the reliability of the wing although It would be nice to pull my Little guy Up mountain passes with no effart oh well you win so & lose some but once again my gl1500 has 95 almost 96,000 miles Id like to see the new beemer go that far with nothing other then an alt going out at 41,000 miles so I would really consider your thought about moving over to a bmer !

All good things come to He who waitith if he workith like hell while he waitith !
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 AM

Post imported post

I guess there is always somebody that has the need for speed. I don't see the Wing lacking but its not my ZG1400 but I don't expect it to be either.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW ......... what a ride !"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 AM

Post imported post

Sounds like ya need two bikes, if ya don't already have M.B.S. The wing may not be as quick as you would like, but it's also almost a half ton. It's as quick as it neds to be!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM

Post imported post

Just got off a C-14 and bought a Wing. The C-14 was fun...but wife could not stand to ride on it for more than an hour. I rode it from Florida to Alaska and now that I own a wing I may have to make the ride again. The 1800 has enough power for me as is..but I would never turn down more.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page