Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Improved tire wear (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/385635-improved-tire-wear.html)

silvercreek 10-30-2012 08:28 AM

You may not believe this but The OEM front and rear tires on my 2009 Harley Ultra Classic had 16,000 miles on them with 3/32 od thread left on them when I had them changed. They were the best riding tires I had ever had on a motorcycle. I don't know what Dunlop did with their newly designed tires but they certainly had a winner in my opinion.

saltmar14 11-16-2012 10:15 PM

i'd just be happy with ride flats, i understand the police have them but won't allow them sold to public so they can stop them with their spikes.

CarolinaYellow 01-20-2013 10:51 PM

With all this talk about whether or not their is or isnt data ,physics, or just plain trial and error out there to prove ct's are better than mt's. Why dont we petition the government for a few billion $ to study it? I mean they give millions to the study of mice on treadmills and Green Energy companies that are going under..Geez we ahve the funding just give it to us..uh and I'll be the first to study it ..I will need $10 million up front to start the program.

silvercreek 08-04-2013 08:31 AM

It's called planned obsolescence. Most of us couldn't afford the cost of a higher mileage tire.

Old Guys Rule :) 09-18-2013 07:32 AM

I'll play devils advocate for a bit. :lash:

If car tires were superior over motorcycle tires why wouldn't a motorcycle manufacturer jump on the occasion and outfit their bikes with CTs from the factory? If manufacturer 'A' advertised their bikes were outfitted with car tires which offer superior handling and milage with the same or lower price point to you the consumer, wouldn't that be a huge marketing advantage for them over other bike manufacturers? Similarly, if Goodyear came out with a guaranteed million mile tire that cost less or the same than a top of the line Michelin, wouldn't you buy it for your Ford or Chevy or Honda? If running car tires on a motorcycle was simply better why has no one jumped on it? Why are insurance companies who have to payout loss of property and injury claims not saying CTs are safer? Are companies like Metzler and Shinko making so much money selling bike tires they can pay Honda, Suzuki, HD, Progressive, Allstate and everyone else to keep their mouths shut year after year after year? Perhaps the answer is so obvious studies don't have to be done.

Just sayin'.

Medina 09-18-2013 07:45 AM

All it takes is five minutes of watching you tube videos of car tires on the back of motorcycles to convince ME that I'm sticking with higher priced, faster wearing, no steel belted run flat tires.
car tires designed to do all that stuff with the help of three other tires.
those vids, all clearly show what happens to car tires vs. bike tires when you go into one of those insane hair raising turns...like changing lanes, pulling into a parking space etc.

FightNGear Holsters 11-10-2013 09:38 PM

To me the question is not why they don't address car tires on motorcycles, but rather why a tire manufacturer does not make a motorcycle tire with the characteristics of the car tire that add the mileage and extra load rating? They could easily design it for the motorcycle rim.

It would seem to me to be a no brainer massive profit making enterprise to design a motorcycle specific tire but add the tread and sidewall qualities people are looking for when they try the car tires. I just can see the process being that hard to do.

LarryInSeattle 11-11-2013 02:10 AM

868 Attachment(s)
I am thinking about changing the oil in my lawn mower. Got any suggestions?

bobalou 11-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryinseattle (Post 2668945)
I am thinking about changing the oil in my lawn mower. Got any suggestions?

clean oil. Now back to tires.