Improved tire wear - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL 1500
Post imported post

I would like to know what exactly Honda has to say about using automobile tires on their bikes? This is something that has been going on for a while now, and if it is safe to do so, then why is this not OEM by now? I personally would like to hear it from the horses mouth... Any input from Honda would be appreciated!

Note: If this is something previously addressed by Honda, then I would like to have a link to the website where the info is posted... Thanks, Shamus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Year: 97
Model: SE
Garage
Post imported post

:R OFL:

Really? Their lawyers would have a hissy-fit if they endorsed CTs on a motorcycle. As has been said numerous times in many places, there is not a tire manufacturer (who owns them?) that would put the R&D into this question to verify a CTs superiority on a touring bike. Money speaks, and there's no money in it for any concerned party.

I continue to search for even a single report of a motorcycle accident where the CT is blamed for the mishap. I am able, however, to find a myriad of stories of mishaps attributed to MT failure and resulting collisions/deaths. Anecdotal evidence causes
greater concern over the use of a MT on the rear of a heavy tourer than for the use of a CT.

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

I think you will see a Honda endorsement of car tires about the same time you see them endorse trailers and hitches.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda
Model: 1100
Garage
Post imported post

re you serious?? hitchs and trailers and cts oh my! not endorsed?

They are all perfect
Last samuri
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I do see the points made here, but I really do think that a longer lasting, (and perhaps even safer), tire is in everyones best interest... I'm sure most of you can remember the bias ply tires we used to drive on back in the day that were lucky to get 25,000 on a small care? Now were getting well over 60,000, and with less problems! I'm not at all against using a CT on a motorcycle personally, but unless studies are done and statistics kept, no one has all the facts... I can also tell you that tires have improved a lot for motorcycles since I began riding big bikes. I only used to get a few thousand miles on a rear, and twice that on the front in the early seventies!

Having said all of that, if you still think my questions are unrealistic then I guess we just disagree... I think that Honda can, and should do better!

As for trailers, I pull one, and have not had any problems doing so... That does not mean that everyone is capable of doing so, anymore than I'm capable of keeping up with sport bikes in the twisties. I'll never have those kinds of skills again, (and really don't care to). Everyone is different.

Now relax a little, go take a ride or something... ;-))
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Shamus,

Its just that us Type A personalities hate being told what we can and can't do. As you must know, the usual intelligent response from a Type A is "Oh yeah, watch me!" Its why we show up earlier in the obits. Its also why Type A's are the most innovative people on the planet. Wonder what they said to the Wright brothers when they said they wanted to fly. If they'd had to get permission from material manufacturers or their lawyers we'd still be looking at the birds and marveling at how they do it. And what about Chuck? Imagine him asking if the manufacturer would stand behind the product and give him assurances he wouldn't explode when he broke the sound barrier.
If we had to wait for 'permission' from Mother Honda for every bobble, piece of bling or modification the world would be a far duller place. And they would be far richer. Mother Honda will not even endorse aftermarket parts.

As to your argument that motorcycle tire technology on TOURING bikes has improved I will agree to disagree. While the tech on car tires has increased their longevity at least 4X since the seventies, the same may not be said of Goldwing tires. I've owned every series but the 1800 and the tech has not even doubled the mileage I get out of a MT. I understand why it is that way. No money in testing/improving such a small market.

If a CT is not in your future I will respect that. But as I posted earlier, until I find even one CT-caused Goldwing accident, I will be an ardent supporter of what I consider to be a superior product. And the MT riders will continue to post threads about their cupped, 'singing', out-of-round, blemished, cracked, shredded, slippery, low mileage rubber.

I'd rather discuss the effectiveness of Deer Whistles.

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

LOL!! I've never said that a CT is not in my future. I just would like to know the facts. As for type A personalities, please don't think that ardent daksiders have the corner on that market! I've always done what feels right for myself, and have many scars, (and story's), to prove it... LOL!!

I would hope that mother Honda isn't too old, (or confident), to learn here? And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
Quote:
And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
LOL! Glad to hear it. I checked your profile and see you haven't been thru the 'new member' information session.

Here's step 1:

clickhere

Step 2:

click here

Step 3:

click here

Step 4:

click here

Still with us? CT discussion seems like such a tame thing now, don't it?

Ride Safe.

Lawrence

'97 1500SE
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Quote:
Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
Quote:
And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
LOL! Glad to hear it. I checked your profile and see you haven't been thru the 'new member' information session.

Here's step 1:

clickhere

Step 2:

click here

Step 3:

click here

Step 4:

click here

Still with us? CT discussion seems like such a tame thing now, don't it?

Ride Safe.

Ah yes, what you are saying is that everyone has an opinion, and to learn you should avoid breathing through your nose? Or is it that one should be careful what they ask for unless they already know the answer... ;-))
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Post imported post

There have been car tires put on bikes since the 60's that I am aware of. If it has not been studied by now I doubt it ever will be.

I have run a car tire across country on my wing and no problems.

Will never return to a motorcycle tire.

I guess it just comes down to personal choice and preference.

Yea, I pull a trailer also

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page