I'd buy a new Goldwing if .... - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800
I'd buy a new Goldwing if ....

IMHO we've reaches the end of the road for bigger, heavier, & more complicated.

I'd buy a new Goldwing if ....

it had a simpler and cheaper engine like a horizontally opposed 4 that could be serviced by the owner. 1200cc. would be plenty and maybe you could make it get better than mid 30's for Mpg.

reduce the parts count drastically. the GL1800 is far too complicated. cut the # of parts by a third and you'd cut the cost to manufacture by a similar amount. (note the 4cly immediately gets you the parts count reduction on the engine!)

use the weight savings from the smaller engine and parts count reduction to increase the load capacity.

skip all the plastic that covers the engine, adds cost, and makes it a bitch to service. lots and lots of goldwing owners are old enough to remember the days when the owner could do a lot of his own maintenance and would do it again given 1/2 a chance.

make trunk and bags removable. maybe expandable or 2 sizes.

make the electronics optional and 3rd party friendly to keep the cost down.

give it an electric windshield (which the GoldWing STILL doesn't have!)

make the seat optional. many many gold wings have aftermarket seats. save the new owner the cost of an OEM seat he isn't going to use anyway.

design the frame and suspension so a lowered version is easily accomplished at little or no added cost for short people. lots and lots of short people out there.

go to the big goldwing rallies and study the add-ons. you'll find lots of things Honda could be selling that you are ceding to the aftermarket industry. (examples: air wings, passenger armrests, trunk racks, etc.) you might find some significant additional profit in this market without making the base version expensive.

price should come in around $15k. my guess is you'd sell a lot of them. I'd buy one.

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Garage
What you are saying is good for the customer not so good for the manufacturer.
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Nav/XM
Keeping things simple is a lot easier but it will not keep up with the market. Most riders anymore want the latest and greatest. There are a few things I can appreciate about the simplicity of the earlier models but I don't think I would want to go back.

The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

Goldwings I've had the privilege of owning

1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1988 GL1500
1994 GL1500-SE
2006 GL1800
2012 GL1800

Vietnam Combat Veteran 11B40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 AM

Model: Red GL1800
I have had 5 Gold Wings - oil changes are simple. Tires replaced by a dealer - steering head bearings replaced by my mechanic cause I did not to wrench anymore. I bought Gold Wings to ride - not to wrench.

Hardly any maintenance required.

Due to my age and the age of my 2008 Pearl White - I will never need to buy another Wing.

Riding in SW OH in the summer - FL in the winters
My sixth Gold wing now - it is a red one this time!
I am on R and R - RETIRED and RIDING
AMA Life Member # 283954
GWRRA Life Member # 028867
Florida Prowler #5
Darksider # 1002 - Dunlop Wintersport 175/60R - 16
OH Chapter L Cincinnati - Former C D
GWRRA International Couple 2006-2007
F and AM #346 - Ohio 40 plus years
AASR 32nd Scottish Rite Mason. 40 plus years
Past Wings - Gl1100, Gl1200, Gl1500, 2002 Gl1800 2003 GL1800 & 2008 Gl1800
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Nav/XM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theROADRUNNER View Post

Due to my age and the age of my 2008 Pearl White - I will never need to buy another Wing.
You might be surprised how many times I've said that.

The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

Goldwings I've had the privilege of owning

1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
1988 GL1500
1994 GL1500-SE
2006 GL1800
2012 GL1800

Vietnam Combat Veteran 11B40
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 PM

Model: 96 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikker View Post
You might be surprised how many times I've said that.

I am "only" 46. When I bought my wing in April, I did so with the intentions of not having to buy one again. Even if Honda doesnt want to keep up with parts demand, the aftermarket will keep the 1500 alive for quite some time due to its popularity. Now that I have put some miles on it, I can see where the shortcomings will be in the future. All have been mentioned already. I am sure I can skip over an 1800 and could consider a used model of whatever replaces it when the time comes. Apparently, tall fellas are a bit cramped on the 18's. And I'm just not wild about its overall looks. The new style of mismatched luggage compartments doesnt help. I will certainly end up with something else later on. Goldwing would be first choice. It seems as though Honda used to use their motorcycles to get certain technologies on the market, then move that stuff to their cars. Now, it appears the bikes are behind their automotive counterparts. I wont ask for all the fancy stuff. IMO, that just ruins the idea of being on a motorcycle. It has to remain the way it is for that reason alone. But Honda must keep up with the technologies, and discourage the dealer practice of not working on something older than 10 years. I know there are reasons behind dealers doing it. All car manufacturers end up doing similiar things as well. It is not just because they employ strictly $10/hr mechanics. I am certain that is not the case. A service dept cannot survive on idiots or technicians lacking in training. I stepped into a Honda dealer ONCE. Over 20 years ago, just to browse and drool. I will probably do it again at some point. But the attitude that seems to be expressed in this forum and others is that Hondas attitude needs to change in regards to customer service. They need to somehow encourage dealers to step up to the plate with a higher level of commitment. I can go into my local HD any Sunday and look around. Not much for me to buy that doesnt have HD plastered all over it. But dealers are making a ton of cash on all those aftermarket sales. NO ONE with a Japanese franchise is open on Sundays in my area. Seems they are missing out on something.

You cant just stuff in a larger cylinder without that change affecting other things. A 15's cylinder is 250cc. Increasing it to 450 or 500cc would neccesitate a larger block and heads regardless if it is 4 or 6 cylinders. Engine width would already be added due to keeping the engine 'squared'. The majority of increased displacement would have to be from cylinder diameter. That is what would add to engine size. And any type of change like that would require alot of repackaging. Sure it can be done. But know and understand those changes will compromise other aspects of the motorcycle that many may now enjoy. It seems to me they should be able to drop it back down to 1500, keep it a 6 cyl for that low end smoothness, fuel injection and some engine management for the extra power and mileage. As sweet as it would be, forced induction, or 4 valve heads will just add bulk and complexity.

On a bright spot though. I got a new seat for my 96 a couple months ago from a dealer on ebay. ( it feels wonderful compared to what was on it)The seat has a manufacturing date on it for Dec 2011. Nice to know Honda is still having them made. They may not want to service them, but it appears they have not left everything out to dry for the 1500's. Most auto companies have discontinued their parts offerings by this time frame, and leave only what the dealer network has in stock.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800

The 2013 Wing in The Fastest Colour......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Redwing"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Hey Redwing,

is there enough room on your island to ride that one?

~ John

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800

Plenty of room but my neighbour wont be interested in buying that wing....

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 AM

Model: 1200 GL Aspencade (pending)
...if they were making 1500's, and only if its from Marysville.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page