Goldwings are too expensive and heavy now - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Garage
Any Regrets going 1800???

I'm a new Goldwing owner...3 months old with a 1994 SE. IMO, there's a smokin deal in southern Colorado for a 2008 GL1800 (only Premium Audio) with 12k miles for $14k asking.
I'm tempted, and believe it or not the wife says "LET'S GO GET IT!". We can't really afford it, but here's the question thrown out there.
Has anyone that went to an 1800 from being a 1500 owner regretted the move? What are the things you miss about the 1500?
I'm even tempted to just go get it and resell it up here in Denver, but I'm gun-shy that I will fall in love...and be in big debt.

Thoughts/comments???

The greatest excercise for the heart is lifting people up.

1994 GL1500 SE
2003 Kawasaki 1500 Nomad
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 570
1984 Honda Custom 900
1982 Suzuki GS450L
1980 Yamaha 400 Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Hi Coloradowing and I should welcome you to the forums here.

Your question posed, takes the thread off topic here, so I will just give a brief answer. Maybe ask the same question in a new thread, or do a search and you will find a good few threads about that very subject.
There have been one or two who have regretted the move, but in general the majority have not. The couple of key, minor disadvantages are a slight reduction in luggage space and the seating position favours the passenger rather than the rider. The fairing gives slightly less wind protection, but all the above are small things. Hope that helps a little and do ask again in a dedicated thread.

In answer to Dave0430, I would agree, I would not want to see a change of the Wing to something smaller. Leaving the flagship model to progress as it is, I would only say that it might be nice if they introduced another model that caters for those who may want a modern equivalent of an old 1000 or 1100. Sports/tourers never match up to the consumate tourer that a Goldwing is.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Cyclebusters.com

Year: 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 74, 75, 76, 80, 81, 82, 83
Make: Honda, Suzuki Kawasaki, Triumph BSA
Model: Standard, Interstate, Aspencade.
don't get me wrong I love the new Wings. But its not something I would want, I don't want a integrated circuit with wheels. give us a Wing around 1100CC fuel injected, lightweight fairing, trunk and bags with a nice dual seat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current toys
69 BSA Rocket 3, 69 H1, 68 T500 Cobra, 71 Trophy 650, 72 CB750, 73 CB750, 74 CB750, 76 CB750, 72 S2/500 hybrid, 81 Gl1100 Standard, 71 A1SS, 71 H1, 78 SR500, 81 Honda MB50, 75 GL1000, 76 GL1000, 76 Goldwing Gl1000 LTD, 82 GL1100I, 82 GL1100A, 83 GL1100 Standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclebuster View Post
don't get me wrong I love the new Wings. But its not something I would want, I don't want a integrated circuit with wheels. give us a Wing around 1100CC fuel injected, lightweight fairing, trunk and bags with a nice dual seat.

It would be a nice addition to the line but it should not be called a goldwing, they should have reserved the name "silverwing" for that.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
It would be a nice addition to the line but it should not be called a goldwing, they should have reserved the name "silverwing" for that.
You are right Dave, whilst I have nothing against the Silverwing scooter that took the name after the mid sized tourer, when they did it, I thought it was wrong to label it such.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Model: GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
In answer to Dave0430, I would agree, I would not want to see a change of the Wing to something smaller. Leaving the flagship model to progress as it is, I would only say that it might be nice if they introduced another model that caters for those who may want a modern equivalent of an old 1000 or 1100. Sports/tourers never match up to the consumate tourer that a Goldwing is.
The Goldwing is a luxury tourer and we become oxymoronic if we ask for a luxury tourer that doesn't allow us to tour in luxury. Part of the allure of a Wing is the "Land Barge" image, as challenging as the price and service can be. Cappucino anyone?

Does anyone remember the Cadillac Cimmaron, a small Caddy based on the Cavalier chassis? Few people remember them because even fewer bought them.

Len
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Model: 2002 Goldwing 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Yes l agree, have you seen what Honda dares call the silverwing these days?
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...9QEwBA&dur=845
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Year: 98 01 06
Make: HellyesHonda
Model: Valkyrie, the RACE wing! 2001 GW
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't see any reason why the Goldwing ever needed to get any bigger than a 1200/four, and I don't see why the bike itself ever needed to get physically bigger. The 1200 was a luxury land yacht back in it's day. The above is strictly my opinion.

Nope, not strictly your opinion.

I imagined a GL1200 evolving (think KLR650 and its essentially unchanged for decades, just technologically superior) into a, lighter, better gas mileaged, wind tunnel designed, synthetic running, fuel injected, electronic-computerized, adjustable windshield, factory LED bristling sex machine instead of fatter, slower, harder to work on, harder to turn, lower gas mileage, harder to just hop to the store, more expensive version of what our Asian brother engineers are otherwise outstanding at accomplishing.
My 86 was built in Ohio, spent its whole life here and I love it.
Maybe a hair too big to run grocery shopping, but doable, easy enough to work on, does NOT need a reverse gear..wth..if I wanted a tractor, I'd have got one...I Want a new one, but imagine by the time I buy one thats 10 years old, its going to be an expensive pain in the ass to maintain.

your mileage may, or may not, vary. regards

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Model: 2002 Goldwing 1800
Let me tell you about the 1800.
Before l bought mine (2002 model) l was actually looking for an 1100, 1200 or 1500 depending on price/condition etc, the 1800 was way beyond my budget anyway.
In the mean time l researched everything l could find, the pros/cons for all of them, 1800 included, and to be honest my vision of the perfect bike was an optioned up 1500 SE, l didnt really like the bubbly sportier look of the 1800 or the age of the others.
Finally l tracked down a 1500 SE in great condition at a good price, l was just about ready to settle when the seller disappeared off the face of the planet, and at the same time an 1800 in perfect condition shows up for the same money, l originally only wanted to use the 1800 as leveridge to get a better price on the 1500, but l couldnt wait forever and this bike was a bargain (even if it wasnt exactly what l wanted) so l bought the 1800.
Since owning it l find it veeery heeeavy at low speeds ,its boxes dont hold as much stuff as the 1500 , the fans go the wrong way forcing me to watch the temp in traffic,its not quite as pretty as the 1500 from the front, and the oh mighty Honda tells lies about the "sportsbike like handling" in reality it handles like a pig (worse than my old GL 1000}
That being said the 1800 is awesome and l wouldnt swap it now for any other bike,for a start until you have ridden a six cylinder you havnt lived yet, there is something very special about them l cant explain you just have to know , the 1500 is a great bike but nothing like an 1800 in so many ways, even when you see them side by side the 1500 looks very dated, and with ABS and a fuel injected 120 HP six cyl motor its the king, there are so many little things l just cant list them all, but l can say Honda has done great with the evolution of the goldwing and l just hope they keep it up.
l know they are getting a little too big and clumsy and we all love the old 1100s and 1200s of the past, but there is nothing better than a big arsed sure footed bike that towers over everything else with its God like presence that demands respect even when parked.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Remember when Cadillacs were HUGE cars? I do. But not any more. There used to be a lot of huge cars on the road, now they are all gone (albeit mostly replaced by huge trucks and SUVs) but luxury cars still exist, just smaller. The Goldwing has already gotten so big many cannot ride it without turning it into a trike. Honda needs to back off a bit. Remember the VTX1800 and the Vulcan 2000? They're gone now. They simple went to far, got to big and heavy, and they didn't sell.

First the Japanese companies were in a race to see who could build the fastest sport bike, then they got into a race to see who could build the biggest v-twin. Then Triumph came out with a 2300cc triple. 2300cc!! That's bigger than the engine in my car.

Enough is enough. It is time motorcycles returned to being motorcycles. IMO, these huge cruise ship sized bikes sort of defeat the purpose of riding a motorcycle in the first place. The 1800 is bigger than Honda's mid '70s Civic ( a great little car which I wish was still around)

Honda should at least realize that they have reached, and in many ways exceeded reasonable limits with the 1800, and not make it any bigger. Not only has the size become absurd, but the price has as well. $30K for a motorcycle? You can buy some fairly nice cars for HALF that

And I still wish Honda would build a no frills model for those who just want to ride, and need something big enough to carry a passenger and luggage. I for one cannot imagine listening to a stereo while riding, though I realize I seem to be in the minority there.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page