Center stand LOCK - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 AM

Model: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckfarrack View Post
Yea,don't know why one solenoid couldn't trip both lock tangs?
A couple of reasons. A.) The solenoid is the lock tang (think electric door lock on a car), and 2.) Don't want to lock the sidestand (or centerstand) if its not down.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
You can try to idiot proof anything and just when you think you've succeeded along comes a better(?) idiot and you start over.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Model: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
You can try to idiot proof anything and just when you think you've succeeded along comes a better(?) idiot and you start over.
Agreed, but just because a good enough thief can steal your car no matter what you do to prevent it, doesn't mean you should leave the windows down and the key in the ignition.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Quote:
In my opinion the idiot that allowed children to "play" on the bike should have been shot and peed on, not necessarily in that order.
If the bike where on the side stand and the boy pushed it over we could say that bikes should be equipped with dual side stands that deploy together.

Where does it stop?

I've even seen my neighbour clean grass from under her lawnmower, engine running and holding the safety bar down.

You can't fix stupid, you can only hope that you're not there when the inevitable happens.

First of all, I agree, the owner should not have allowed kids near the bike. If I had a really nice bike, Id be really upset to find kids playing on it. And just where were these kids parents?

As for the lawnmower, I have removed the safety bar from many lawn mowers. Lawn mowers did not have this nuisance device when I was younger. It is not necessary IF you know how to operate a lawn mower. Many times I have spotted something in front of the mower I needed to remove before I ran over it, and that meant restarting the engine. I have also jumpered the seat shut off switch on riding mowers for the same reason, to avoid having to restart the engine everytime I needed to jump off and pick something up.

As for "where does it stop", I don't think it does. Manufacturers just keep coming up with crazier and crazier "safety" devices.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
X-Roughneck

Model: 84 GL1200A w/poorboy alt & 1997 1500SE Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-winger View Post
A couple of reasons. A.) The solenoid is the lock tang (think electric door lock on a car), and 2.) Don't want to lock the sidestand (or centerstand) if its not down.

Bill

A spring loaded tang that automatically locks when the stand is down,only being "released" by a cable pull (or solenoid) and resets the tang when in the UP position,is what i was thinking.
No way "lock" the stand until it "self locks" when folded down.

Which may also, help prevent theft of said motorcycle!!!

Yea,that's it! When the "ignition key" is turned to the "on" position,the lock would be,could be, released!
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

As for "where does it stop", I don't think it does. LAWYERS just keep coming up with crazier and crazier "safety" devices.
Fixed that for you

Len
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Quote:
.....If the bike where on the side stand and the boy pushed it over we could say that bikes should be equipped with dual side stands that deploy together.
Oh great now I have to connect my 2 side stands to work simultaneously

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
This is a pretty good idea. I like the way a Harley side stand locks in place when the bike is leaned over on it. I would not want an electric solenoid lock on either but a pull release of some kind on the center stand would be good.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Stupid Idea! No types of electrical locks or anything to do with a key!

First I often push my bikes off to side and don't have my key handy, so why should I have to go in house to get one, or worse drive 10 miles to get the key at the house just because I want to roll a bike 30 feet over at the shop! Or what if I can't find my key, what then leave my drive blocked for a few days while I look for it? I have more than 1 or 2 bikes and I don't always carry every key to every bike I have!
Some I don't ride often have a dead battery once in a while, turning on the key would do nothing so what then if the stand is locked?? Can't even roll the bike over to charge the battery! Might have to roll it around to be able to get to it for a jump from a car, nope can't do that either if stand locked.
Gee just think, stuck parked in odd spot with dead battery on a trip, stand locked, no way to roll bike and not able to get a car up to it where parked to give it a jump. Great!
Stupid Idea!

What would be next, anti slip paint for car hoods and roofs so kids don't fall off when using the windshield as a sliding board? Yes I seen that also!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
X-Roughneck

Model: 84 GL1200A w/poorboy alt & 1997 1500SE Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromo View Post
Stupid Idea! No types of electrical locks or anything to do with a key!

First I often push my bikes off to side and don't have my key handy, so why should I have to go in house to get one, or worse drive 10 miles to get the key at the house just because I want to roll a bike 30 feet over at the shop! Or what if I can't find my key, what then leave my drive blocked for a few days while I look for it? I have more than 1 or 2 bikes and I don't always carry every key to every bike I have!
Some I don't ride often have a dead battery once in a while, turning on the key would do nothing so what then if the stand is locked?? Can't even roll the bike over to charge the battery! Might have to roll it around to be able to get to it for a jump from a car, nope can't do that either if stand locked.
Gee just think, stuck parked in odd spot with dead battery on a trip, stand locked, no way to roll bike and not able to get a car up to it where parked to give it a jump. Great!
Stupid Idea!

What would be next, anti slip paint for car hoods and roofs so kids don't fall off when using the windshield as a sliding board? Yes I seen that also!
Wow dude you taking to extremes here! Just a simple cable pull that's all!No walking TEN moles to find YOUR keys,No blocking the driveway for days,come on!Just a small wittle bitty tang so the bike cant be shoved forward,that's all! You freakin out over a wittle bitty tang?
Now i have to ask...how many times have you played on your folks car hood? LOL
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page