Center stand LOCK - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
X-Roughneck

Model: 84 GL1200A w/poorboy alt & 1997 1500SE Green
Center stand LOCK

Ten years ago my wife and i watched a smal girl climb onto a goldwing at a bike show and her older brother got behind the bike and was trying to push her while the bike was on the center stand.Well,he pushed alright! Enough to shove the bike forward and it fell over.THANK GOD, the third child had just walked away from the bike or he might have been pinned underneath it. Luckily nobody got hurt other than a freak out crowd viewing.

We were too far away to stop it from happening,and i told ALL the staff running the show,they need to tell the owners to at least,put the bikes in gear and/or chalk the rear tires.

At that point i started thinking.All HONDA would have to do is put a small cable pull lock/stop on the frame near the center stand to lock it from folding. I think it would be a great safety devise on ALL motorcyles with a center stand.

On a perfect planet....the parents would actually WATCH their children and maybe,MAYBE not let them climb on the bikes,but we all know how that goes too.

Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Senior Something

Year: 1979
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1000
Garage
The only place mine is on the center stand is in the garage. Although, It is a good idea.

Happy Trails

My pic's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 AM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
You would need to chock the front wheel if the bike is on its center stand to stop it moving off. The lock release idea would be good except for us forgetful ones trying to take off with the stand locked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM

Model: 1998 GL1500SE
Garage
This is a great idea, and Honda could put a Lock light on the dash to remind us old fogey's the center stand lock is engagd.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
In my opinion the idiot that allowed children to "play" on the bike should have been shot and peed on, not necessarily in that order.
If the bike where on the side stand and the boy pushed it over we could say that bikes should be equipped with dual side stands that deploy together.

Where does it stop?

I've even seen my neighbour clean grass from under her lawnmower, engine running and holding the safety bar down.

You can't fix stupid, you can only hope that you're not there when the inevitable happens.
Trailboss likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 AM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
Too true Ken!
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
X-Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
In my opinion the idiot that allowed children to "play" on the bike should have been shot and peed on, not necessarily in that order.
If the bike where on the side stand and the boy pushed it over we could say that bikes should be equipped with dual side stands that deploy together.

Where does it stop?

I've even seen my neighbour clean grass from under her lawnmower, engine running and holding the safety bar down.

You can't fix stupid, you can only hope that you're not there when the inevitable happens.
I truely agree! There is SOOOO many dum basses out there it ain't funny.My dad probably would have whooped my ass for touching the bike if it was me,BUT lots of kids anymore are free to do anything they want and it would make me sick to see one crushed by an 800lb bike just because the parents need a slap in the jaw.
It's only a matter of time where we are forced to mount our fridge and TV set to the wall.A simple little spring loaded lock would stop grown men too from shoving a bike over when they reach in the cooler while camping to get another beer.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM

Model: r-15
Too many people lack common sense nowadays. I think a center stand lock is a great idea. It would prevent any accidents from happening.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM

Model: 1100
Well, as long as we're battling social Darwinism, make it a solenoid lock that engages automatically when on the stand ( make one for the sidestand too) and the key is off, and disengages when you turn the key on.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
X-Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-winger View Post
Well, as long as we're battling social Darwinism, make it a solenoid lock that engages automatically when on the stand ( make one for the sidestand too) and the key is off, and disengages when you turn the key on.

Bill

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yea,don't know why one solenoid couldn't trip both lock tangs?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page