What the next Gen GoldWing should be.... - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffo View Post
The problem there is that while most of us have opinions on what the Goldwing should come equipped with, none of us know what it should look like overall.

That's because most or all of us are at the consumer end of the spectrum. We buy the stuff and don't have experience in design. Some of us flunked art too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Model: 2008 GL1800, 16k miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept Guy View Post
Of course you would also need at least one member proficient in hard surface CG modeling (I can't do that) to make it look real.

Welcome to the forum scannell. We have some CG chaps here already. Chromo is one, also Anim8or Earl. MobyDick is good at graphics too. Not forgetting wingnut junior (Dylan), who seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds. Last year he made this CG model of the 1500 Wing:

If you can come up with the art work, I am sure these chaps can make it real.
post #13 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Model: GL1800 abs
I am no expert on MC design, but I can tell you what practical improvements I would like to see on a future Goldwing.

1. Headlight running right across from mirror to mirror. Get rid of the chrome or black filler pieces where the current headlight ends, instead extend the headlight up to the mirrors.

2. Better foot protection from rain. Heated saddles and grips are useless when my "waterproof" boots are soaked through. Honda should have beaten that by extending the lower fairing or the engine covers out to keep rain off boots.

3. Place the warm air vents in more practical places. The lower vents (in the exhaust covers) in the newer 1800 and on the old 1500se are too far forward and any warm air gets whisked away by the forward motion of the bike. Those vents should be nearer our feet.
Make the lower fairing knee area vents bigger.
Make the windshield vent wider and get rid of the small fiddly vents near the speakers. I'll take bigger speakers instead.

4. Extend the dash cover out to better cut down reflections from the instruments.

5. More side lighting, along the saddlebags and fairing.

6. Get rid of the long antenna and replace it with a low visibility antenna. The long ones look cool but are impractical and they often rip motorcycle covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM

+1 on better foot protection.

I would like to see the wheels solid type wheels. They would be easier to clean and look better imho.
post #15 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM

Model: 2010 / Champion Trike
Mother Honda is putting many new models out based on the wing problem being they are butt ugly
post #16 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Model: 2012 level II
Personally it wouldn't hurt my feeling if Honda were to keep the current production Gold Wing for a while and spend the money and R&D time in working out the bugs and making the electronic more dependable.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen.
post #17 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Nobody You Know

Model: 2013 GL-1800
My suggestions are all immediately feasible - no new tooling required! Doubt that they will happen because all would likely reduce the average sales price...

1. Make ABS an option without having to buy XM and GPS. I'd definitely buy ABS, but not if I have to buy XM and GPS as part of the deal.
2. Make radio and intercom an option. I've been Bluetooth for both for years. Truth be known, I probably paid over $1,000 for the radio and intercom on my 2013 1800 and have never turned either of them on! (Don't even know how.)
3. Make factory seat an option. I'd rather spend the dollars saved on something proven to be much more comfortable for the long haul.

Ken
2013 GL-1800
1999 CB-750 Nighthawk
1988 GL-1500 (gone but not forgotten)
1975 CB-400F (long gone but fondly remembered)
1970ish Kawasaki 90 (just plain long gone)
1965 Cushman Super Eagle (long gone and thankfully forgotten)
1957 Sears MoPed (long gone, but some good 'first bike' memories)

K 4 D I T
post #18 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 AM
The Irish Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept Guy View Post
Almost forgot. If you guys can pull together as a team and think about how a new Goldwing should look, I would be happy to give some free time to the artwork. It might be fun to do. Of course you would also need at least one member proficient in hard surface CG modeling (I can't do that) to make it look real.
I'm surprised nobody took you up on this. I think you being the only forum member actually working in automotive design, you might be better off doing the initial art work yourself based on what you think a new Wing should look like. Once you get the ball rolling others will come along with input.

Dave Heffernan.
post #19 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:30 PM

Model: GL1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffo View Post
I think you being the only forum member actually working in automotive design, you might be better off doing the initial art work yourself based on what you think a new Wing should look like. Once you get the ball rolling others will come along with input.
Okay, I'll get things rolling. I will start with the front end/wheel. I would like to see (for easier cleaning) either a solid wheel, or a fully enclosed wheel. I would also like to see much wider tires.

I have attached a rough sketch to show the general idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newwing1.jpg (166.8 KB, 41 views)
post #20 of 165 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Model: GL1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1800 View Post
We have some CG chaps here already. Chromo is one, also Anim8or Earl. MobyDick is good at graphics too. Not forgetting wingnut junior (Dylan)......

Thanks Andy. I will PM all of them now and see if they can help.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page