Honda parts.. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1998 GL1500SE
Garage
Honda parts..

Soichiro Honda promised that when someone purchases a Honda, the stock MC parts will always be available. With his passing this is now not the case, and I feel that it will hurt the value of our old Honda's. Come on Honda! Let's go back to the same core values Mr Honda set forth for his company many years ago!

Brian "bj" Atwood
Blair, NE U.S.A.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
It would be a good idea in my book, Honda makes a great bike like the Wing and then you get sent on a scavenger hunt trying to find good used parts to keep your Classic Wings running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 AM

Model: 2012 level II
You are right but unfortunately it's all about economics and not principle. Honda wouldn't sell as many later models if people were able to maintain the older models longer. Because of not being able to sell as many later models, they wouldn't make as many which would drive the prices higher.

If principal still applied, Walmart would still be conducting business the Sam Walton way and selling American made products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjatwood View Post
Soichiro Honda promised that when someone purchases a Honda, the stock MC parts will always be available. With his passing this is now not the case, and I feel that it will hurt the value of our old Honda's. Come on Honda! Let's go back to the same core values Mr Honda set forth for his company many years ago!

In reality how would you reasonably expect Honda or any other manufacturer to do that unless they just kept making the exact same model indefinitely? Believe it or not Honda does not make every part they use, far from it. The vendors or Honda are not going to continue making some part they may sell only a few of, it is just not profitable to run a production line or keep it set up to make 3 parts a year. A certain amount of replacement parts are made when it is in production and they last until they are gone. Sorry but you have to face the facts.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
It would be great to have 'all parts, all the time' which is what Mr. Honda said back in the day. But that was when the total model count was probably under 100. I counted the different models that were made as of 1984 and that was 183 beginning from 1959. I could only guess the model count now. That promise isn't economically possible any more.

I was service manager at a Honda dealer in California back in the late 80s. We got to tour the Marysville factory and it was fantastic to see how they made the parts there. The engines for the 1500's were made in their factory in West Ohio…. the frames, all fairings, bags, cover parts were molded and painted at Marysville. One of the things they told us was how the GL's were more American made than the Harleys were. I don't remember the exact percentage but it was something like 83% American made Hondas to 79% American made Harleys. Most of the switches and sensors were made in Japan for Honda.
Back in 2004 I had a 'fall down' on my 88 GL1500. At the time I found out that I got the last Phantom Grey fairing that was left in the USA…. at the time. The fairings are now/still/again available from Honda. The Phantom Grey was a one year color and I think it says a lot about Honda that they are still making fairings for a bike whose color was last made 25 years ago.

Ray
88 GL1500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page