Why so long to get parts? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 AM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
MAYBEEEEeeeeeeeee. . . . . .

GWF needs a "I have "X" part(s)" sticky thread?

Bad part is, how to keep it updated for parts sold and not restocked? Individual sellers gets lazy or forgets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Sometimes it's just a matter of how many parts a dealer orders and how fast. If the parts manager (he/she is usually the only person authorized to actually order parts) gets only a few parts to order each day he/she will usually wait till an order sheet is full. If, on the other hand they fill up a order sheet in one day the parts get ordered that day and get to the dealership faster. Thus….. the possibility of some orders taking longer than others.

Another thing about parts warehouses. Honda has several. From what I remember there is Torrance Ca, Seattle Wa, Irving Tx, somewhere in North Carolina, Marysville Ohio and Lincoln Alabama. As a part was ordered it would automatically search the closest available warehouse for the part. If it wasn't in stock there it would search the other warehouses and 'cross-ship' the part to the dealer. That could take some extra time.
If none of the available warehouses had the part it would be put on B/O (back order) until the part was received. A B/O could last as long as 6 months without any reason. Regardless what warehouse ordered the part (that is B/O'ed) it is mandatory that it comes from Japan into the Torrance warehouse first. Then it is shipped to the warehouse that ordered the part and then to the dealer that ordered the part. More time!

That's how it worked as of 2004 when I left the dealership.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 AM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decosta18 View Post
I skate everyday for at least an hour, for about three years and i would always just guess when i need new stuff. I would like to know actually how long a pair of spitfire wheels, bones reds bearings, thunder trucks and any pro model deck usually last for someone who skates a lot?
decosta….
are you sure you're on the right forum? Last time I rode a skateboard I was 16 years old…. and that was 1968.
The average age around here runs from the 40's, 50's, 60's plus and minus a few. Probably not a lot that still ride skateboards.

Ray
88 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
I never go to a dealer for parts. Motogrid and Honda Direct are as close as your keyboard. Motogrid normally ships quickly, usually about a week to get any Honda OEM part depending on your desired shipping option. Honda Direct Line is sometimes a bit cheaper but can take a few days longer to get your order. Both have good parts diagrams to make it easier to find the part you need.

http://www.motogrid.com/

http://www.hondadirectline.com/oempartfinder.htm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayworx View Post
Sometimes it's just a matter of how many parts a dealer orders and how fast. If the parts manager (he/she is usually the only person authorized to actually order parts) gets only a few parts to order each day he/she will usually wait till an order sheet is full. If, on the other hand they fill up a order sheet in one day the parts get ordered that day and get to the dealership faster. Thus….. the possibility of some orders taking longer than others.

Another thing about parts warehouses. Honda has several. From what I remember there is Torrance Ca, Seattle Wa, Irving Tx, somewhere in North Carolina, Marysville Ohio and Lincoln Alabama. As a part was ordered it would automatically search the closest available warehouse for the part. If it wasn't in stock there it would search the other warehouses and 'cross-ship' the part to the dealer. That could take some extra time.
If none of the available warehouses had the part it would be put on B/O (back order) until the part was received. A B/O could last as long as 6 months without any reason. Regardless what warehouse ordered the part (that is B/O'ed) it is mandatory that it comes from Japan into the Torrance warehouse first. Then it is shipped to the warehouse that ordered the part and then to the dealer that ordered the part. More time!

That's how it worked as of 2004 when I left the dealership.
That as I understand it is how the system works and as far as I know motorcycle dealers only get a stock order delivery once a week. So if their normal delivery day is Thursday and you order a part on Friday it is not going to get there before the next Thursday, unless you are willing to pay shipping. It works the same for the online vendors so if they do not have it in stock they have to wait for it also. Honda auto dealers get overnight delivery if they are within a certain distance from a warehouse.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Also, some stores may only order once a week, so if they place their order on Friday morning, and then you order something on Friday afternoon, your order won't even be placed until the following Friday.

...and then, as Rudy pointed out, you have to wait until the part comes up on eBay.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page