Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcosmo View Post
If the dealer has the Phoenix Injector (as I do), this job (bleeding clutch), takes less than five minutes.
Not when you have to take the lower cowl off and the vapor canister.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
ck the fine print on the actual RECALL notice from honda (its on here or the internet)
On something like brakes-- it often includes towing to the dealer at least, and often the return to owner

Honda certainly doesnt want the liabilty of you riding it with bad brakes!

CALL CORP before anything else happens!! ask what is covered and what extra charges are allowed- or covered

15-30 minutes to flush the Front brakes and clutch is reasonable
but- as said before- a dollar amount must be approved by the customer
Thats overseen by your state bureau of auto repair- handles all types of repair shops- with a business license--they issue them!

If Honda allows 6 pints of brake fluid- that covers everything!!
Yes the dealer may know whats up and is scamming or it may be a mistake by human
Stupid Humans!!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM

Model: 2013 Goldwing
I just talked to my dealer to set-up an appointment to get my recall done. I asked what the charge would be to have the clutch and front brakes done while it was in and he told me that this is normally a 2 1/2 hr job, they are doing it at a 1 1/2 hr rate so it will cost me about $160.

Still seems high How difficult is it to do? I'll probably check with an independent shop I use and see what they want.

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'13 Goldwing Current bike as of April 2013!
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 PM

Ok, I just read through the recall procedure on a link provided by "Dadztoy" and it sure looks to me that by the time they are done with what they need to do the only "extra" thing I should be charged for would be the clutch fluid change. $160 for that seems high. The independent shop I have used said they would do the clutch for about $80.

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:39 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
it is not a hard job .or difficult.it only takes very small amount of fluid a a small amount of time.

life is good.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Model: '07 GL1800
I had the clutch flushed while mine was in for the recall. It was $37 out the door. X amount for labor, some overpriced fluid, and sales tax.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Banned

Time to call Corporate customer service and ask what the deal is?!
Honda corp expects perfect 10s on customer satisfaction surveys, anything less is a failing grade
With the slow economy and shops needing every dollar,,,plus recall work pays less to the dealer than regular customer rate...
they appear to be hosing the consumer with this extra charge
Sure IF all the panels were in place..but the bike is naked in the needed areas!
AND Honda provides for plenty of fluid, once a bottle is open it must be used immediately--It was charged for that bike,
should go in it- not the next bike...
Surely there is some leftover for the other areas~

That, or get a $5 1-man bleeder at harbor freight or parts store and a qt of DOT4 fluid
Working on your bike can give a great feeling of satisfaction, and you can do a 200 mile burger run with the 100 dollars you saved!

But seriously- DO CALL CORP!!

I am assuming the riders with issues have already spoken directly with the SERVICE MANAGER, that is who corp will tun around and call after your complaint of overcharging

Is the towing issue covered in the recall notice (Im not on an 1800 so didnt read it)
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Banned

Question: with the 1800s interconnected brakes (of which I have no understanding)
wouldn't the repair work on rear master cyl then require a front brake bleed/flush?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:39 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Question: with the 1800s interconnected brakes (of which I have no understanding)
wouldn't the repair work on rear master cyl then require a front brake bleed/flush?
Yes and no .
The front system operates 3 pistons in the front calipers and the rear system operates another 3 pistons in the front calipers . The two systems are not connected "hydrailical" to each others an the fluid dosnt mix .
Bleed/flush the front system is "ekstra" Work , and will take half an hour for me (yes i now that some Works faster than me ).
Bleed/flush the clutch system is another task , and will require the removal off front lower cowl and wapor canister , as mentioned by Dave , and the complete Work is about an hour or so , - eaysily more if the bike is equipped with aftermarket ass .(yes i now there is faster mechanics than me ).

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:23 AM

Looking through the procedure again I guess I was mistaken. The recall flush and fill does only cover the fluid on the pedal system, nothing on the brake lever system. When I talked to the independent shop they did say if I needed the clutch and the front brakes fluids done it would be about $140. They do not specialize on Goldwings but do work on them.

This does put the cost a little more in line, but still seems high. I'll probably check with a couple other dealers in the area - see if I get the same answer - and contact corp, see what they have to say.

Bob

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page