4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
thank you for the explanation of the different braking system

This looks to me to be a case of: Oh shiteza! there are a lot of body panels and parts to remove to access things on this bike!

Which leads to: If you cant bear the dealer prices of 90-100+$ per billable hour = DIY!

option: visit the dealer during the `lunch` coach time...meet a mechanic who works at home on the weekends.... for 25 an hour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

NOTE!!
the 1st person you talk to at corp #800 is a minimum wage phone answering person,
NOT a person with any authority to do more than read from a book.
They will take your info and complaint- placing it in a stack for others to deal with

An actual Area Rep will make contact with the dealer and you from there
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Model: 2013 Goldwing
One of the nice things about living in a large metro area is we have multiple Honda dealerships to talk to. I just called one of them and they want $52 to do the clutch and $52 to do the front brakes - plus the fluid. That drops the price to about $40 less than another dealer wanted. And I didn't even say anything to him about having checked elsewhere. This shop is close to where I work, there is one closer to where I live that I'll have to call. Eventually I'll probably see what all of them are charging.

I'm sure more updates to follow.....

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'13 Goldwing Current bike as of April 2013!
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Sure IF all the panels were in place..but the bike is naked in the needed areas!
Nothing that has anything to do with bleeding the clutch is removed for this recall.
Face it Tom, 1800s are different from 1500s, a lot different.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Another update. I just talked with another dealer - #3 - he said to do the front brake and clutch is a flat rate 1 hr, $90. I asked why three dealers have three totally different pricing schedules and he told me that each dealer has it's own hourly charge rate and rate schedule. He said that honestly, to do the front at the same time as the recall work takes about an extra 15 minutes. He said the clutch is a pain. This dealer is the one that is closest to my house so they may get the bike tomorrow, weather permitting.

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Banned

I forgot the 18 has no rotor covers and different panels....and should probably refrain from commenting on anything 1800

Too many years in the auto repair industry, what can I say - dont trust anyone in repair shops is my motto!!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Who the heck cares?

Model: 88 GL1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
,,plus recall work pays less to the dealer than regular customer rate...
Was Service Manager in couple of Honda Motorcycle Dealers in the past.... up until 2004. Honda pays the exact same rate on warranty work as a customer pays. The dealer has to apply for an equal rate but is nothing more than a form made out by the Service Manager and submitted to the District Service Manager. Process takes approx. one month. If a dealer is telling you something different they are 'full of it'.
The big difference is the billed hours. Honda mandates that the hours billed on a specific job be the Flat Rate Time in hours. Traditionally these are less than the hours required to do the job. Because a warranty job might be done once a year it's hard for a tech to be proficient. On the other hand.... lets say a recall done on many units... the FRT times will be easier beat.
Example: some years ago Honda had a warranty recall on their personal watercraft. Required replacing the throttle body and intake injectors. Every personal water craft had to have the recall done. Honda was paying over 3 hours... I was doing them in under 1.5 hours. Because every PWC was exactly the same the process got easier and faster to do.
Smurfhawk likes this.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Banned

my bad then,,,my past was in auto repair, and back in the day = warranty work was a financial bummer~
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800
The rest of the story as Paul Harvey use to say . Got the bike back from the Honda dealer after the recall fix 1. The front wheel wasn't wiped off full of fingerprints and rag wipes and we know not a good sighn. 2.Took the bike for a ride and went to step on the rear brake and it wasn't high and hard it was a sponge till half way down then I had to pump it , next stop same thing. Very upset talked to the manager and they want to take it in and make it right . We shall see stay tuned...rrrrrrrr

Last edited by Smurfhawk; 03-09-2016 at 09:01 AM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM

I had something similar to that when I took my bike in to have the rear tire changed. Headed out of the parking lot and couldn't stop, the back brakes didn't work. Went back in and bitched and was told to pump the brakes a couple times and they'd be fine. And they were, but it would have been nice if that was taken care of before I headed out of the parking lot. I guess I thought a test ride would have been done before it was returned to me.
Smurfhawk likes this.

Bob Simon
St. Paul, MN
'98 Goldwing
'86 Wing
'79 Wing
GS650 Suzuki
500 Enduro
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page