Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Gear ratio or 6 speed gearbox (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/648441-gear-ratio-6-speed-gearbox.html)

DaveO430 08-23-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesPal (Post 5309961)
Leave first gear alone. My town is very hilly and the 1200 needs lots of clutch slipping as it is. What do you guys think about a CVO transmission like Subaru puts in the Outback? Six speeds would be nice.

1800s first gear is so low it's almost useless. Taking off in 2nd is just fine. CV trans that I know about are awful, good concept but terrible in practice.

JamesPal 08-23-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5310137)
1800s first gear is so low it's almost useless. Taking off in 2nd is just fine. CV trans that I know about are awful, good concept but terrible in practice.

I know nothing abut the GL1800 but I have been driving a clutch for 50 years in the part of the country where more stops are on hills than not. On a hill creeping up to a stop sign behind 30-40 cars puts a tremendous strain on a clutch. I had a 2011 CV Subaru Legacy for about two months. In CV mode it would put the engine in the most efficient speed for the power/ driving conditions. Or it could be put in automatic mode and it would shift like a normal automatic. It had paddle shifters on the steering column, one for up shifts, the other for down shifts. It worked very well and was fun to drive.

Ken Bergen 08-23-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesPal (Post 5310297)
I know nothing abut the GL1800 but I have been driving a clutch for 50 years in the part of the country where more stops are on hills than not. On a hill creeping up to a stop sign behind 30-40 cars puts a tremendous strain on a clutch.

You make a good point Jim.:claps:

Flat Landers don't really need Honda's first gear whereas us Mountain Dwellers could use a Lower first gear.:grin3:

jobe05 09-20-2017 10:53 AM

I have always been an advocate for a 6th gear, however the argument against it was a 6th gear would just dog the engine and make your MPG worse. I disagreed till I tried an experiment. I already know that at 3200 RPMs my MPG sucks (keeping it under 3000 is better on MPG), The above statement is based on highway driving, 5th gear, one up, towing nothing. Then I drove a couple of tanks at 3200 RPM's in 4th gear and walla, gas mileage was about 6 MPG better. I have a trike, maybe that makes a difference with the extra 400 lbs of weight, I don't know. But if your just looking at RPM's, why does 3200 RPM's get better fuel mileage in 4th gear than 5th? What would that be like in a 6th gear?

DaveO430 09-20-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobe05 (Post 5356665)
But if your just looking at RPM's, why does 3200 RPM's get better fuel mileage in 4th gear than 5th? What would that be like in a 6th gear?

Because you are going slower. I once burned about 1/2 tank running 70 in 4th, didn't change the gas mileage at all.

Bike...and Dennis 09-20-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobe05 (Post 5356665)
But if your just looking at RPM's, why does 3200 RPM's get better fuel mileage in 4th gear than 5th? What would that be like in a 6th gear?

It's simply a matter of wind resistance.

AZgl1800 09-20-2017 03:08 PM

I have been guilty of running long distances in 4th gear with the cruise control set and didn't notice the tach.....

I thought "aw crap", there goes the wallet..........

but no, took the same amount of fuel to top it off, just like before...

I run lower gears a lot when running the hills and in the twisties, it is just simply easier to back off on the throttle in 4th to scrub off some speed, than it is to use the brakes.... and it keeps the rear tire under full control for easy manners thru a tight turn.