Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gear ratio or 6 speed gearbox

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
One of the biggest improvements Honda could do on the Goldwing is to introduce a 6 speed gearbox or at the very least raise the gear ratio... No need for the stump puller first gear (something between the current 1st and 2nd gear would do well) and how about a much higher gear for the highway... 2000 RPM would be fine at 65 mph...
I had modified my old 1987 GL1200 with a 1989 final drive and rear wheel... It made that bike's gear ratio near perfect and it still was able to drag race next to the GL1500's rather well... Heck, I got to over 85mph in 3rd gear !!!
So, mother Honda, how about you just modify the final drive or make it an option for us current owners ???

#2 ·
I used to think that myself, but if you just don't worry about what that tach says, you have more than enough speed capability with the current setup.

But, I do agree that a better final drive ratio would probably result in a better MPG result.

But, once you start pushing a lot of wind in front of you, it takes horse power and the need for sucking down that liquid gold, regardless of final gear drive ratio.

#4 ·
I believe the '87 GL1200s as well as all GL1200s and GL1500s share the same 2.88:1 final drive ratio, 1500 parts are mo0re robust however, .... and a decent 1200 will already or certainly should out accelerate a GL1500 if ridden in anger using all that is available power wise .
Any slight change in RPM to road speed relationship noted after the swap would be due to different tire sizes and that ain't a lot of change.

1500s do have more off idle grunt due to 25% greater displacement, low speed tuning, and 6 cylinders delivering the power smoother. 4 cylinders of a 1500 still have 1000 CC ....... ;)

1500s make superb trikes ....

#8 ·
I don't doubt that an 1800 will pull a taller gear, but I wonder how "happy" it would be doing it loaded up long grades, etc? :wink2:

1500s do well, they pull at low rpms like an old tractor.
ya know, while my 1800 does very well from low rpms in 5th gear, my memory seems to think that the 1500s were more willing to pull hard from 10 mph in 5th gear than my 1800 does.

not that I try and do that very often, but I can remark that I have made a ton of "take offs" from a dead stop in 3rd gear and the 1800 can do that pretty darned good.

in fact, just did that yesterday when I picked up a 40# sack of dog food, was up on the loading dock at the feed store, they brought out the sack, set it behind me, and I let off the clutch and head for the down ramp.... still in 3rd gear.

#10 ·
Leave first gear alone. My town is very hilly and the 1200 needs lots of clutch slipping as it is. What do you guys think about a CVO transmission like Subaru puts in the Outback? Six speeds would be nice.

#14 ·
I have always been an advocate for a 6th gear, however the argument against it was a 6th gear would just dog the engine and make your MPG worse. I disagreed till I tried an experiment. I already know that at 3200 RPMs my MPG sucks (keeping it under 3000 is better on MPG), The above statement is based on highway driving, 5th gear, one up, towing nothing. Then I drove a couple of tanks at 3200 RPM's in 4th gear and walla, gas mileage was about 6 MPG better. I have a trike, maybe that makes a difference with the extra 400 lbs of weight, I don't know. But if your just looking at RPM's, why does 3200 RPM's get better fuel mileage in 4th gear than 5th? What would that be like in a 6th gear?

#17 ·
I have been guilty of running long distances in 4th gear with the cruise control set and didn't notice the tach.....

I thought "aw crap", there goes the wallet..........

but no, took the same amount of fuel to top it off, just like before...

I run lower gears a lot when running the hills and in the twisties, it is just simply easier to back off on the throttle in 4th to scrub off some speed, than it is to use the brakes.... and it keeps the rear tire under full control for easy manners thru a tight turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.