1Likes
  • 1 Post By famous1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
2018 Goldwing

This is just my thought on the new Wing. On another forum a member had seen and tested the seating on the new 1800 and he found it disappointing and he wasn't fond of the loss of storage. I guess like me, he likes a 'Land Yacht'. Then I commented they reduced the 1800 to the size of a 1200.
The new Wing may be attracting new riders, my guess is it could be women as HD has put many women on motorcycles for years. I have seen women riding GL1200s in the past. Honda may be after the market had by HD by offering something better.
This is just my thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I know the 12s are too tall for most women. Haven't seen a speck sheet on the new 18, but it would have to be pretty short to get labeled a "chick bike".

That's why most women ride cruisers, I reckon.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I got the pdf download from Honda https://powersports.honda.com/brochu...e_gl1800bj.pdf
29.3 seat hight, sounds low compared to a GL1500 trike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:32 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
People mostly buy HD for the name, no other reason. They may buy something else that looks like a harley if they are not brand loyal but want to make the impression, that's why all the other makers make V-twin cruisers. Making a bike of any other name rideable by any certain kind of person is not going to attract them, maybe Honda doesn't know that but I doubt it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 PM

This past weekend my wife and I went to see the new Goldwings, they (Del Amo Motorsports O.C.) had all types and colors. I was excited to get a new version of the Goldwing, although my 2006 ABS/Nav/CB/6-Disc CD, etc. runs and looks perfect. I have been waiting for a change in power and the addition of a 6th gear. As a bonus, it appears they added better suspension. Unfortunately my wife did not like it compared to our 2006. It is not nearly as comfortable for her. What she did like was the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental. I confess I liked it too. The new smaller less comfortable (for my wife) Goldwing is not in our future. We have ridden the BMW K 1600 GTL together and I think if I set it up with passenger floorboards and armrest that could work. Then again there is a myriad of reliability issues and many complaints I have read from BMW riders regarding how BMW treats them when they try to solve manufacturing/warranty issues. They had the Raspberry Metallic Transcontinental in stock and when they get the Granite Grey version in, I suspect we will purchase it; despite the fact that we love our Goldwing. The new Goldwing just isn't as comfortable for the passenger, in our opinion.
MalcolmX likes this.

ƒamous1
2006 Goldwing/Nav/ABS/CB/6diskCD
2009 Husqvarna 510 TE
2006 Big Bear Chopper Venom
2004 Kawasaki ZZR 1200
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Real feedback from folks on the street giving first hand info is good. Glad your sharing your feelings. If the passenger isn't happy then the rides are not as enjoyable. I wish you the best with whatever your next machine is . Please do stick around and periodically give us your thoughts/comparisons on the new ride.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
from what I am hearing, the 2018 is best for solo riders.

See you in Galena, I am here, where are you?

Are we there yet???
Yup, we made it...

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500 Interstate
We've all seen the video/interview with the Honda engineer who describes the development of the passenger perch? Happy wife = happy life? (I don't want to look up the date of that)
It def looks more scrunched, front to back, on the 2018.
If Honda is appealing to men making more decisions (F6B is badass)....... They are trying to catch the pendulum on the way back?!? 8-)
MGTOW!!!! Ha,ha

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page