Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/)
-   -   Adaptive Cruise Control - It's time (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/9-feedback-hondas-goldwing-team/664849-adaptive-cruise-control-its-time.html)

Efriday 09-03-2018 03:48 PM

Adaptive Cruise Control - It's time

To keep Honda at the leading edge of design, the 2019 Gold Wing should include an Adaptive Cruise Control. The technology has matured enough in cars, and application to a motorcycle should be well within the capabilities of the few vendors now supplying General Motors, Ford, Honda, etc.
Managing following distance and avoiding slow speed fender benders would be welcome. But first, Honda should straighten out the confusing button direction choices now used to control the 2018 system.

tamathumper 09-03-2018 05:04 PM

Following on to that - the Goldwing should have sensors that indicate when you're stopped, and a vehicle is approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed, and it should flash the brake lights, beep the horn, and send a small thermonuclear missile shooting out the tailpipe to avoid a rear-end collision.

I've got a Raspberry Pi and a soldering iron, who's got experience with sonic or radar ranging?

DaveO430 09-03-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamathumper (Post 5787055)
Following on to that - the Goldwing should have sensors that indicate when you're stopped, and a vehicle is approaching from the rear at a high rate of speed,

That is called rear view mirrors.

Pure Texas 09-03-2018 09:19 PM

Our new semis with auto tranny also have adaptive CC and wil scare the crap out the driver if at highway speeds there is a very slow car in the lane you are in,it sees the vehicle and starts to slow and the if the distance is closing too fast it will start to downshift and braking at the same time and if there’s another vehicle in the other lane and you get over,it gets exciting,espically at nite and the vehicle has no back lights.

AZgl1800 09-03-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Texas (Post 5787177)
Our new semis with auto tranny also have adaptive CC and wil scare the crap out the driver if at highway speeds there is a very slow car in the lane you are in,it sees the vehicle and starts to slow and the if the distance is closing too fast it will start to downshift and braking at the same time and if there’s another vehicle in the other lane and you get over,it gets exciting,espically at nite and the vehicle has no back lights.

Holy Cow!!!

I did not realize that tech had been applied to the big rigs :surprise:

Pure Texas 09-03-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5787213)
Holy Cow!!!

I did not realize that tech had been applied to the big rigs :surprise:

O yeah,they even let us know if someone is on our blind spot on the right side even if we don’t se them and the Volvo’s even honk the horn on the truck.

Bike...and Dennis 09-03-2018 11:55 PM

I have adaptive cruise control. It's a simple matter of turning the cc off in traffic, paying attention to what is going on around you and driving defensively.

Is driving cutting into your phone time?

AZgl1800 09-04-2018 12:22 AM

saw an interesting fender bender today in Siloam Spring, Arkansas.

4 lane traffic, traveling at 25 mph or so....

4 cars all stopped in an intersection.....

one of the cars has a severe amount of left rear fender damage.... none to the rear, so he did not get Rear Ended......

the driver was frail with snowy white hair, and he looked very pissed while running his hands over the newly modified fender.

it appeared someone just decided to change lanes without looking and " crunch, what is that?? "

claydbal 09-04-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Texas (Post 5787221)
O yeah,they even let us know if someone is on our blind spot on the right side even if we don’t se them and the Volvo’s even honk the horn on the truck.

i saw a documentary of self driving trucks a couple years ago. i think it was done in death valley? short story is the trucks would do as you stated and still needed a driver as a backup! think of those giant farm tractors that plant or harvest according to the gps programming you write to their eeprom or maybe hard drive.

Bill-UK 09-04-2018 12:32 PM

I think Dennis is right, don't trust something that you cant be sure works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44439523