Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1500 homebuilt trike project using Mustang and Jag rear ends...

145K views 638 replies 43 participants last post by  trike lady 
#1 ·
Cut the bag braces off and the driveshaft tube flange.

cut the tube off on maybe a 35 degree angle in the middle of the belled out area.

Steel purchased and in the shop. 30 ft of 1 1/2 in x 1/8. want need 30 ft but he gave me a deal on it.

Already have the sheet steel in the shop. Fenders ordered form JC whitney and will be here in about 3 days. Will pick up the rear end tomorrow in chattanooga, 1996 mustang 273 ratio 5 lug.

Already spotted the wheels i want.

so everything should go pretty quick on this one, once i get the axles back.Should start lining everything up monday. we're on the way. hang on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Come on, get it finished & drive over here.
Will still be working on mine.

#3 ·
imported post

well i hope not. but i hope i will be done quicker with this one. i'm hoping a month. heres what i started with.

Attachments

#5 ·
imported post

yea it's going in the cabnet. it only takes once for this old boy.

#6 ·
imported post

back with the rear end. will measure everything up and send the axles out monday.

Attachments

#7 ·
imported post

Bump.

#9 ·
imported post

axles away. when they get back it's on. took 3.5 in from the left axle and 11.5 from the right axle. will make it with my wheel and tire combo about 55in's. unless i change my wheel combo again then maybe about 53" wheel base.

this looks real familiar to me.

Attachments

#11 ·
imported post

well yes and no. i'm getting lazy in my old age. but this keeps me going.

#12 ·
imported post

I know what you mean about keeps you goin ,am like a kid with a new toy and sure has given me something to aim,for thought my motorcycling days were over last year;)

#14 ·
imported post

We start anew.....Take lots of pictures and keep me slobbering on my keyboard....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:.....

Claude....

#15 ·
imported post

i think i'll be making a fiberglass mold of this body as i plan to make a few more 1500 trikes. if there is any interest i will sell some bodies so if you are following this and if you want a body to fit your like mine trike. keep it close to my specs and it should fit yours, or make your own body. my bodies will not fit the factory trike kits as they have wider rear ends.

again depending on your wheels and tires you may have to cut your rear ends different then mine to come up with the correct width of 53 to 55 in overall. i think i'll be using the grand cherokee wheels again. they are plentyful and cheap and i think look classie on the trike. if i use the cherokee wheels the wheel base will be closer to 53" wide.

#16 ·
imported post

well fenders came in just like they said. looks better already.

can't do much till the axles get back. but have everything lined up and ready to go. don't want to be waiting on me.

Attachments

#17 ·
imported post

Skoto 1 Gald you got your fenders and was able to get started. dont know if you got my message or not about the fenders I been a t hospital with wife since friday she is still there dont no when she will come home got to get back to her just came home for shaving gear and more clothes Have fun on your Build

#19 ·
imported post

Hope the wife gets better soon, just gotmine out on Saturday after her being in there for a week with double pneumonia.

I'll be drooling over this build like the other ones :applause:

#20 ·
imported post

did get your message and paryers going up for her and you,

just got new fenders the last ones took me 2 days to straighten up. wasn't worth the saving the last time. but if i heard you right that's a killer deal on the fenders if they are in good shape.

these are 60 vw fenders a little higher but less work to do on them and they have the big flare in the back. no bump for the tail lights and very small holes to fill unless i use the vw lights on them and then they are a straight bolt on.

#22 ·
imported post

I guess again I was asleep at the wheel????? I just read where you used Jeep Grand Cherokee wheels....I kept looking at the pictures of the finished product thinking "Nice wheels" yeah they looked familiar.....I have four on my 96 Jeep GC....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:.... So if I ever went to trike out either of my Wings, I already have the wheels.....It's been a long two months....So Jeep wheels are a direct bolt on to a Mustang rear end??????How cool is that?????

I kinda wish I still worked in the chemical plant where we had these Taylor Dunn electric carts...They used cut down 9 bolt Ford rear ends...I had on my parts shelves ring gears and pinion sets for several gear ratios....Axles, bearings, everything to rebuilt these puppies with....Bad part is they wouldn't fit in my lunch kit....:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:....Two of these carts were 72 volt with a body width of 62 inches...Now that one might have been spot on as to the right size for using it on a trike....Axle width would have been close to 54 inches??? 14 in tires under the body...Makes me wonder??

Claude......

#23 ·
imported post

yep all there is to it you just bolt them on.

ok cleaned off the brackets with the torch today and cut the tubes but not to length yet. will wait for the axles and make sure they cut um right. looks like i'll come in a 55 in's with these wheels and tires. which are the one i took off the 1200.

this build may be boring because if you watched the 1200 build this one is going to be very close. doing it the same way with just a few twists.

still gathering a few parts for the build. axles want be back until maybe next tuesday.

Attachments

#24 ·
imported post

no not boring at all , it's all good stuff , im blown away how you cut the backing plates off and manage to get them back on true and square,:applause:, and them vw mudguards are a real good idea, gives it a nice sloping curve, keep it up , im watching every day :)

#25 ·
imported post

yea the best way i'm told is to drill the welds out of the tubes. then work the axles out of the chunk and cut them on that end. i've tried that and was never able to get the big spot welds drilled all the way out. so i had to do it this way. has worked out good the times i've done it.

getting them true is no biggie. i just measure from where they go into the chunk in four places around, then to the back of what i cut off. north south east and west. tack um up measure again and then weld. rotating the welds so i don't pull the backing plate to one side. but if it's tacked good i have no problems with it drawing.

#26 ·
imported post

you guys are talking about the front lights for clearence and law requirements. i'm going to put strobes on the front of mine in the running light or fog light position and run them in the daytime so no one can use the excuse they didn't see me.
although they may still use the excuse, if they don't see me it'll be because they didn't look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.