Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/98-trikes-trailers-sidecars/)
-   -   Triwing Trike Conversion. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/98-trikes-trailers-sidecars/376796-triwing-trike-conversion.html)

fysty-1 09-25-2011 06:42 AM

Triwing Trike Conversion.

For those of you that would like to convert to a true trike but cannot afford the 12-14 grand for the conversion there is help out there in the name of Triwing industries from Victoria, B.C., Can.the kit is under 6 grand (which is less than I paid for the Voyager).This kit is a true trike kit and is complete with the exception of Wheels, tires & Paint. They do not do the work for you but from what has been posted here, the kit is straight forward & a relitively simple instal. It is a true bolt on. Triwing does not charge for crating. Here is a link to one of our members post with complete install with pics. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/82569.html here is the link to triwing. http://www.triwing.com/components.htm Hope this is of some help as there has been a lot of interest. If I had of known about them before I bought the Voyager kit, I would be riding a true trike insted of a wing with "training wheels":D:D:D:action::action::action::action::acti on:

John Goodell 09-25-2011 08:26 AM

imported post

fysty-1 09-25-2011 05:00 PM

imported post

I would like to see this as a sticky.:?

Anim8or Earl 09-26-2011 03:35 PM

imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Quote:

I would like to see this as a sticky.:?
You know the routine Angela, PM the wingnut and it will happen. :)

tfdeputydawg 09-30-2011 08:17 AM

imported post

As a comparison
$6495.00
1. Drum brakes
2. No wheels or tires
3. Solid axle
As a comparison:
Average cost of "other" solid axle models:
$6845
1. Includes packaging and crating
2. Includes wheels and tires
3. Includes disc brakes

fysty-1 09-30-2011 03:36 PM

imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Quote:

As a comparison
$6495.00
1. Drum brakes
2. No wheels or tires
3. Solid axle
As a comparison:
Average cost of "other" solid axle models:
$6845
1. Includes packaging and crating
2. Includes wheels and tires
3. Includes disc brakes
I'm sorry ifI have given erroneous info as I was under the impression from what has been written over the years that all the others like Champion cost 10 grand or more & are difficult for the layman to install. The way that the 2 members here discribed this kit is that anyone with average mechanical skills could install. Also I was not attempting to compare to Champion or any other outfit you are a dealer for, I was comparing 3 wheels costs to 4. ie Voyager, Tow-pac etc. Also something I did not mention is that the stabilizer wheels may not fit with the local MOT laws. whereas a Trike is completely legal most everywhere. :byebye:

tfdeputydawg 10-05-2011 07:31 PM

imported post

I am not bashing anyone for giving info they find and think it's worth passing on.
All I'm doing is showing that for just a few hundred more you can get a lot more!
Champion is one of the few kits an individual can buy for a self install.
Your comment of the $10K or more is a realistic figure when one considers a few "extras" that are normally purchased and the cost of having the unit painted.
If you have to have the unit installed the cost can be even higher.
Not trying to sell anything here. My aim is to only make people aware of what is available out there.
Something that extraordinary inexpensive is usually that way for a reason. Such as the unit suggested doesn't not include tires and wheels.
But, that is also why there are many units at many different prices so, that one can satisfy one's own self.

fysty-1 10-05-2011 08:26 PM

imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Quote:

Something that extraordinary inexpensive is usually that way for a reason. Such as the unit suggested doesn't not include tires and wheels.
But, that is also why there are many units at many different prices so, that one can satisfy one's own self.
The reason for my suggestion here is the same as your's. I want to show that there are products out there that are reasonably inexpensive , easy to install and look good. Maybe Triwings leave certain items out to reduce cost. Like shocks but the you would have a very good pair of shocks taken from the wing. Wheels & tires? Well for me that is a no brainer. I have a local fellow that is my cage mechanic that can get me good looking rims & good tires for less than 200 bucks Cdn. I know that the solid rear axle makes for a bit rougher ride but it is verry easy for any shadetree mech to work on and if you want disc brakes, any place like Summit for example can supply kits for the Mustang 9"rear. Now as for paint. Every company out there makeing Trike kits (including Triwing) offer painting of their bodies @ a price. I am not trying to sell this kit, I am doing as you claim you are.....trying to show that there are products out there that are reasonably inexpensive etc etc. I don't give a darn if anybody buys this or not. I only asked to have it placed as a sticky to make it available to those who want more wheels but don't want a Quike. All you need to do is read the posts that I haver place links to to see satisfied members from this forum who have bought & built. And in Bigf Al's case he had the unit shipped from Victoria, B.C., Canada To Manchester, United Kingdom & was very pleased & surprised with the shipping cost. If you respond I will read but I will no long fall into the discusion with you as I learned my lesson with situation that ended up haveing the result of my leaveing a favorite forum & all evidence of my membership of that forum. But in that case I made the mistake of disagreeing with the Admin. I'd rather lose this post than loseing this forum. The end.:waving::waving::waving:

tfdeputydawg 10-05-2011 09:28 PM

imported post

I did notice your comment about shocks off the Wing. That's when I checked thier sight out again and found these are for 1500's. None aval. for 1800's????

Sorry to have upset you. Don't want you to leave another forum. Will not respond any further.

Have a nice day.

Let's ride.

GYMPY 10-23-2011 08:59 PM

imported post

Deputy dog. You are right. I have worked on a lot of TRI=WINGS here in Ont. Canada. They look nice but that is where they stop. They are 1980's technology with rear swing arms mounted on the outside of the frame. The passengers feet ride on the swing arm which has plates welded to them. As the swing arm go up down, so go their feet and legs. The swing arm pins are only screwed from the front outside of the frame and only go through even with the inside of the frame. They are not long enough to be able to put a locking nut on the inside to stop them from rotating in the the frame threads as the swing arms go up and down. I had one which it wore out all the htreads in the frame. Those threads are the threads that the short stock swing arm pins bolt into to hold the stock swing arm in place.
They use no bearing at all, just oil impregnated brass bushings which eventualy wear in an oval/egg shape form and create more looseness in the swing arm causing the trike to wiggle down the road. The swing arms are a solid peice of steel, not tubing and weight about 20lbs each. The only thing that keeps the diff in place is those swing arms with no bearings so that is why it puts so much stress on those brass bushings.

The ones that I installed had no tires/rims as stated, no wiring harness for lites, and the most important thing no drive shaft. Do I see a macine shop in the future, you better believe it. There goes all your savings plus a lot more in waiting time for parts being made. This kit is from the early eighties with a new more fashionable body style. All the other trike MFG, no matter who they be, are centuries ahead of a TRI-WING. Roger