85 GL1200 Aspencade Home built Trike conversion project - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Post imported post

Closer to the shocks, they take a lot of beating back there.
Maybe add a 2x2 in the midway going the other way.

Also you need to preload the shocks.

USMC, Vietnam Combat Vet. 69-70,
GWRRA 78111
PGR 255645
1st Bike Honda Dream 150 Dream Bought in \'68
1st GoldWing GL1100 Interstate
1989 GL1500/6 (NEW)Still have runs GREAT
Now:1993 Gl1500SE Future Trike

To many projects to finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I was finally able to get to the shop for a few minutes lastnight.

I got the driveshaft in place for the first time.

I was a little concerned about clearance around the outside edge of the F150 driveshaft thatpenetrates into the driveshaft tunnel on the swingarm about an inch or so.

I need not have been concerned there is plenty of clearance all around, I could detect no issues even when I flexed the swingarm to the maximum limits of its travel while rotating the driveshaft by hand.

The next test will be when I start it and run it to see if there are any alignment or balance issues.

Hopefully I will be able to get a little work in this weekend and work on the extra supports for the upper shock mounting frame.

The kids and grandkids will be here for the weekend so time to work on projects will limited.

Peter

75 GL1000
81 GL1100
85 GL1200A
75 550F
post #23 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 PM

Model: 1993 trike i built Mine all Mine.
Post imported post

i cut the flange off on mine and that way all you have going into the tube is a the honda shaft.

just do it and ask questions later. if you never start you\'ll never finish.

PGR # 190570
cc permit
1988 1500 trike to be
1980 cb900 custom
gl 1988 1500 trike sold
2003 flhtuci sold
gl 1986 1200 trike sold
gl 1984 1200 trike sold
first bike cb 160 honda
to many to list in between
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I was finally able to get back to the shop lastnight, with the Kids and Grandkids safely shipped off to Disney world for the week.

Skip,

I thought about your suggestions and looked at the framing.

I liked the idea of going off the lower mounts for strength but I wanted to retain the passenger floorboards.

I also did not want to cut or otherwise compromise the original frame.

So I mounted the passenger floor boards for a visual and realized that the aluminum billets that attached them to the bike would provide the needed strength in that area.

So I cut all the pieces and tacked everything in place.

With the new cross piece and the tabs bolted to the frame, I think I have mounted everything pretty solid.

As you can see in the bottom rendering I also plan to add some wings for strength out to where the shocks mount.

As to the shock Preload, I had already mounted the shocks pretty solid so I will see how it rides before I cut all that apart to make the adjustments if necessary.

I am really not sure how the dynamics of this will work with the swing arm mounted as one pivoted piece, it should pivot up and down and compress both shocks at the same time as the original Motorcycle tire did. The only place where there should be any give is in the rubber bushings.

There could also bea small amount oftorsional twisting of both the swingarm and upper shock mount.

Peter

75 GL1000
81 GL1100
85 GL1200A
75 550F
post #25 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 PM

Garage
Post imported post

It's looking good. Can't wait to see the finnished project.

Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

1985 Goldwing Aspencade-114,000 miles - Best bike ever
Previous Bikes:
1977 Kawasaki KZ400 - My cost me nothin\' bike
1978 Suzuki GSXr750 - Craziest bike *wicked fast
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400 - Funnest bike
1975 Honda CB360T - 1st bike
post #26 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I got the extra wing supports in place for the upper shock mounts.

This should be strong enough to take the battering from the shocks.

The rear body mounts, trunk and trailer hitch will all be attached to this piece as well.

I have yet to determine the design for the body.

With a little luck I should have it up on all three this week.

Peter

75 GL1000
81 GL1100
85 GL1200A
75 550F
post #27 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM

Post imported post

Hury hury the anticipation is killing me

Was guckst du, ok Feuer im Loch.
post #28 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dmays
Post imported post

Awesome build!! Peterbylt you have some skills!!

Ride, Ride, Ride!
post #29 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I finally got around to replacing the rusted through subframe, this was surprisingly easy. I was expecting rusted bolts and the piece to be almost welded in place with rust but all the bolts came lose and the piece just came right off like it was placed there yesterday instead of 27 years ago. The only rust was on the Subframe itself.

Thank You to ZUKIMON for selling me the replacement subframe.

Since the bike is now a Trike I decided not to reinstall the Kickstand but I will probably keep the centerstand for changing tires and working on the brakes.

After pulling the Upper shock mount off and welding everything up solid, then priming and painting.I bolted everything back together and finally bought the tires.

The original Rear tire had an outside diameter of 25 ½ inches, my tire guy figured out that with the 15 inch rims off of a 99 ford explorer a tire size of 215/60 15 would give me exactly an outside diameter of 25 ½ inches.

So I finally assembled it all together and here she is standing on all three for the first time.

WOOOOHOOOO

I test fit the stock muffler and found it would fit if I lowered it down about two inches it would just clear the bottom of the rear axle in its fully extended down position. The muffler is rusted through on the connection pipes between the Header and muffler so I acquired a couple of replacement pieces.
(you can see one of the rusted headersand the replacement pieces in the back of the Subframe picture)

I learned my limitations after instantly blowing a couple of holes in the muffler with my arc welder so I turned it over to my professional welder friend Keith to weld in the new pieces with his TIG welder.

I should have the header pipes and muffler back today or tomorrow and should be able to install the muffler (or at least the header pipes) and take my first ride.

Then on to the rear brakes and deciding on what to buildfor a body.

Peter

75 GL1000
81 GL1100
85 GL1200A
75 550F
post #30 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

IT’S ALIVE.

I got the repaired header pipes back from my welder friend Friday evening and installed them. I fired it up and drove it around the parking lot without any mufflers, what a racket.

A Harley with loud pipes has nothing over an unmuffled Goldwing.

Felt good to finally Ride it……

Saturday the Muffler was finished being repaired and installed, if they had a show called Americas Next best Welder, Keith Would win it, he did an awesome job welding the repairs and filling in the holes.

I had to fabricate mounts to lower the muffler an inch and a half. It just clears the bottom of the swingarm at full downward extension.

I was going to ride after I got the muffler on it, but once I got it started it ran out of gas.

It was late and I had a ride Planed ride early Sunday morning so I left things as they were. (Lately I’ve wanted to work on them more than ride them)

It wasn’t until Sunday Evening that I was able to get some gas and start it up Quiet, and drive it around the block a couple of times,

Seems to ride and track good, steer easy, doesn’t pull to either side and no unusual vibrations. The only issue is because I don't have any fluid in the shocks so there is no dampening and it was a little springy.

During the time I had the bike apart one of my newly cleaned carbs seems to have clogged up and is now misfiring so I guess the carbs will have to come out again.

Peter

75 GL1000
81 GL1100
85 GL1200A
75 550F

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page