Need trailer wiring advice - simple to flat four - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
Need trailer wiring advice - simple to flat four

Equipment: 2013 GL1800 w/Nav, E-trike with hitch, harbor freight tow pod

Since we will not be adding any additional light kits or accessories, I was hoping for a simple plug and play type wiring harness. Do the tow pods put much of a load on the main system? I understand the preference of having the relay, but not sure if I need it just for my little tow pod. Would love some input on this.

Is there any trailer wiring setup that doesn't require disassembling the bike? I read the installation instructions on the Kuyakyn 7676 and 3230 combination, which seems to be the preferred setup-(plug and play with the isolated relay, generation 2) but they are using the same location that my hitch bracket is presently installed to fish the wiring. More learning curve - always install everything before re-assembling your bike. (ugh).

Thanks so much - I have met some very nice people on this forum already (we've owned the bike only a couple of weeks) and I appreciate the time that you take to share your knowledge with us newbies.

Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Hi again Sheila,

While the trailer isolation harness is the preferred method of wiring, if your trailer tow pod is using LED lights, you can probably wire it direct to the bike taillights, turn signals, etc... The LED lights draw so little current, the effect on bike wiring is negligible...

For what it's worth, my LED lights on my trailer and the Tow Pac are wired directly to my bike's wiring harness... I was using an isolation harness but it didn't work out with my Tow Pac lighting mods where I used one light for running and brake functions...

For wiring jobs like this, a 12 volt test light is worth the investment in finding what wire goes where... They are inexpensive and available at any automotive store, Walmart, etc...

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...IOmVhKubDw_wcB

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Les:

My E-trike has no lights whatsoever - just some reflectors. I'm not sure how to tell if I'm running LED lights on the pod - I'll ask hubby tomorrow - I read through the manual and they don't specify.

So tell me more about your harness - what brand did you use? Is it "off the rack" or still a specialty type? Sounds like it plugs in under the passenger seat....?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Hi Sheila,

IIRC, it was a Plug and Play by Kuryakyn

http://wingstuff.com/products/26923-...?from_search=1

If you turn the pod lights on and they are LED, you actually can see the individual LED's in the light assembly...

I added lights to my Insta Trike using LED clearance lights and I designed a little circuit that permits me to use a single red light for both brake and running light functions...

rsz_dscn1798.jpg

I have the Tow Pac lights on a plug that plugs into the bike's lighting harness...

Look at the link below and you can see an example of how a LED light looks - you can see the individual LED's in the light itself...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...s/STL22RB.html

BTW - referring to your initial post, I know of no trailer harness, or for that matter, a way to wire trailer lights, without disassembling the bike to some degree... I'm not sure how the back panel on your 2013 bike comes off, but on mine, I have a panel between the two saddle bags I remove to get to the wiring for the rear of the bike...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We've decided to purchase the Kuryakyn 7676 and 3230 harnesses and do it right. Hubby sent me an article about the new Canbus system in the wing - and it clearly indicated the issues with wiring direct.

I have photos now, and will post them in my etrike post as well as on the site.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 AM

Model: 1989 GL1500
Garage
Nice looking setup you have there!!

When I wired up my E Trike lights, I tied into where the previous owner had 'hacked' into the wiring under the trunk. I know my 89 is totally different than yours, but I also found TWO trailer plugs of different styles zip tied to the hitch.

After digging further, I found a 'U Haul' 5 wire to 4 convertor wired in there also. So, I removed all his mess and rewired that convertor to just a flat four plug in case I ever pull something and then wired my LED stop/tail/sequential turn signals(one above the license plate on the bike and one each on the fenders) into the GW harness. I used flat four connectors to hook up the LED'S on the trike wheels also.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Install on 7676 and 3230

We put in the 7676 and 3230 today, actually pretty easy. A little fishing of wires, a little crimping here and there. Only used the socket set once, and the screwdriver to clamp the wires to the battery.

Seems like a bit of overkill but the harnesses will allow us, or a future owner to expand the lighting options later on.

Going five wires to flat four was a little strange - but a pigtail on the blue wire allowed for a quick split for brake lights to work.

Almost ready for a trip to Shipshewana with the tow pod -- just have to reinstall the seat (which is slightly delayed with a seat mount backrest installation over the weekend). Amish country here we come....
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page