Avon Cobra Trike 130/70R-18 Front Tire ??? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredman View Post
I ordered the Avon Trike Tire last night. I have just about 23K on the MPA and noticing some cupping and a bit of vibration when slowing. Time to change before we take off for another 3000 mile trip in June.
I have little doubt but that you'll be thanking yourself over and over throughout that 3,xxx mile trip ....

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500SE Trike
Now that you've had another month riding, are you still happy with the tire? I've always heard "never use a radial on a trike" so this is new ground to me.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by welmack View Post
Now that you've had another month riding, are you still happy with the tire? I've always heard "never use a radial on a trike" so this is new ground to me.
I love it.

I had heard same as you but that was when the radial being discussed was designed for a motorcycle. This tire is a newcomer on the scene and is a different radial designed just for TRIKE use, it even states as much on the sidewall. It is not a radial intended for a BIKE. Just judging by the way it dampens and steadies the steering ..... I'ld guess it would probably make a BIKE feel heavy in the steering department.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500SE Trike
I'm glad to hear you are happy with it. We aren't too far from needing a new front tire so I believe I will try it. I've always had trouble getting one of the rear tires mounted backward because of the liability situation so I for one am glad to see a trike specific tire. Thanks
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Put another 250-260 miles on it yesterday .... still so pleased with how it sets a corner well and softens the thumps when the front tire hits those bridge expansion joints and pavement edges at filler spots.

Much smoother than MPA even with the 39-40 psi I have in it .... vs the 36 I ran in the MPA to soften it some.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update with regards to tire wear ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
... etc ...
I measured several places with two depth gages, looks like 6.5 / 32nds to me.
... etc ...
Installed the Avon ... etc ... odo showing 92,154 miles on Trike
... etc ...

Today I was cleaning bugs off of the Trike after a three day trip down and back on the Blue Ridge Parkway, checking it over, etc. The BRP is a gorgeous ride but it's a road in need of constant maintenance and there are nice smooth sections as well as many not so smooth sections, and pot holes, frost heaves, bridges that live above the roadway, course pavement, and smooth pavement. One section down south of Boone is under repair .... the milled portion that was freshly milled last week is smoother than some other parts .... and it has warning signs.
The BRP is also ..... a lot of curves, many banked good, some not so much. It's a roadway that screams for attention.

The Trike's odometer reads 93,556 now 1400 miles later and there's exactly 6/32 tread on that Avon Cobra Trike Radial where it was 6-1/2 thirty-seconds measured with same tire depth gage .... so at current rates, that's about 12-13,xxx miles wear to 2/32nds which is when I'll likely pull it off. All but maybe 200 (at most) of that 1400 was on curvy back roads, BRP, etc that wear tires most. The other maybe 200 miles on Rt 11 or Interstate for short ways. Looking at plans, likely more highway miles ahead so maybe I get 15,xxx out of it?

If I do, it's what will go back on it.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
I might try the Avon out, once I get the BT-45 on my trike worn down some more. So far from what I've read, it is well liked. Just waiting to find out what kind of mileage people are getting out of it.
Gene
CrystalPistol likes this.

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Just wanted to give an update on this tire.

First tire came off the bike with a little over 7k. Would have got probably 10k out of it but took it off early since our vacation would be going over that I put a new on. That tire was smooth riding and quiet, with excellent grip.

Second tire was noisy on concrete roads but quiet on asphalt. Like the first one it handled excellent. The really bad with this tire was at 7200 mile it developed a bubble on the side of the tread that contacts the road. The bubble was both on the outside and inside so I assume it separated between the ply's. No vibration was felt and luckily I stopped where it could be seen. Tire has 7200 mile on it with about 4500 mile of slab riding and the rest riding in the WV mountains. I wanted to take pictures of it and write to Avon to show the problem, but sadly an hour later the bubble was gone and I didn't mark where it was, and can't find it now.

Third tire is on now with 1500 mile on it. Like the second tire it is noisy on concrete roads but quiet on asphalt. By noisy I mean it sounds like bacon frying in a pan. This tire will see more mountain roads than slab riding, so I hope it doesn't give me problems.

So that's my observations with this tire so far. Hoping the third tires the charm.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500SE/ Trike
Ordered one today based on the good reviews. Time will tell.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM

Year: 1990
Model: GL1500SE/ Trike
WOW. what a difference. I should have replaced all the tires a long time ago, Cadillac now.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page