11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Avon Cobra Trike 130/70R-18 Front Tire ???

The Michelin Pilot Activ rea tire that is currently on our Trike is only about 1/2 worn, but it has that "buzz at 30-35 mph and ..... well, I've been looking at the Avon Cobra TRIKE front tire which is a radial, 130/70R-18 .... # 90000020646. It is reputed to work great on GL1800 and GL1500 as well, it's some different from a regular "Bike" radial. I like what I've read but there's not a lot out there on it yet.

Looking on here ..... doesn't look like many here have tried it yet .... or just haven't posted results.

How about it ...... if you have one ..... "impressions"?

https://www.denniskirk.com/avon/front-cobra-trike-av71-130-70r-18-blackwall-tire.p544572.prd/544572.sku

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No one?

OK ..... I'll be a "canary" again.

Ordered one late last night, $154.00 give or take ..... should be here in a few days, certainly in time to get it in place before our planned ride to the "Highland Maple Festival". Throw in a couple or 3 ozs. beads and be a good time to slip in some new pads, change fork oil & brk fluids.

I didn't go in blindly .... I have been interested in this tire for a good year "plus". There is a web site where they talk about trike stuff (<<-->>) mostly only and I have been following some other canaries and their experiences there. Expecting good things from it like a long wear with a smoother ride coupled alongside better steering (even better than what I have) ..... ..... and NO low speed "buzzzzzzz" in my handlebars.
Just some excerpts from postings .... I know to take them with some degree of suspicion / speculation.

Quote:
Love the new Avon Trike Tire
Quote:
dealer/installer told me a few weeks ago that MotorTrike had been running tests on this tire and has gotten in the 35,000 mile range
Quote:
I put my Avon on awhile back and for the handling and ride if it lasts 10,000 miles I wont care. There is such a ride and handling difference between the Avon and the BT45 and MPA its like night and day.
Quote:
7,617 right now and show NO wear, NO cupping, and still rides and handles like the day I put it on
Quote:
little over 11,000 miles riding almost exclusively in the A**a**a* twisties which eats trike front tires. Bought another one because I'm so happy with the ride and handling of the Avon Cobra Trike tire (didn't say it was wore out)

...(Candy Spectra Red )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
it has to be better than an E3, and that is all it needs to be
CrystalPistol and Doug B. like this.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, come home today and there it was ..... on the carport. Ordered the 20th just before midnight, it's here today from Chaparral in San Bernardino, Ca.

Looks nice. Guess I'll get it on the Trike this week.

It's still got a rounded profile, but it's flatter in the center brand new than my half worn out MPA is ..... supposed to put a larger "trike friendly" footprint on the ground. I measured several places with two depth gages, looks like 6.5 / 32nds to me.

EDIT 03-01-16 ..... Installed the Avon in place of the MPA yesterday, odo showing 92,154 miles on Trike .... and I weighed out 2 ounces of balance media (Airsoft Red Jackets) and inserted through the bead before filling it with air.

As I was reinstalling the wheel with tire I noted that the right side brake rotor was about 5.2mm thick but left side was down to 5.0mm as I guess it gets more wear being hooked in with rear brake .... even though I use the front every time. So .... I swapped them left to right .... put the thinner one on the side that wears less. Checked runnout after torqueing the rotor bolts to 29 ft lbs. All is good. Pads like new as I just last fall installed new and I swapped them over with the rotors. Next tire change I'll put new rotors on it maybe.

Today I came home, slipped the battery back into it, put the seat back on and took it for a short test ride. Almost immediately I noticed that the ride was some smoother like pavement joints, etc with the new radial and it does steer "smoother" some how. It steered OK before, but now it just has a different quality. Not harder like before the rake and not really a featherweight like after the rake, still easy with no increased effort but now it seems like it has a damper that holds a line better. Hard to explain .... it's every bit as easy as before, just seems to be dampened .... a lot like tighter stem bearings might do. Ran it up to highway speed on some new pavement .... it's definitely a smooth tire .... and NO "Buzzzzzz" at 30-35 mph. Brakes got better with a little use.

Pleased so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022316 6.5-32nds 640w.jpg (184.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 022316 It's a Cobra Trike Radial 800w.jpg (264.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 022316 Broad round 640w.jpg (254.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCI0001 (640x594).jpg (337.6 KB, 31 views)

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Trike Master

Model: 06 levelIII/Hannigan
Many good posts on this trike specific tire on several other forums. This will be my next front tire
CrystalPistol likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 AM

I mounted mine in the spring of 2015 and purchased it from Chaparral motorsports also. Its amazing how smooth the ride is and how quiet the tire is compared to the MPA or BT45. To me even if it lasts only 10,000 miles I would replace it with another just because of ride and handling.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 PM

Year: 2014
Model: 2014 Gl1800 Motor Trike Razor
Garage
Nice, I am going to give that one a try next time. I have the MPA and it has 22K on it and still has lots of life left.

Jim's Motor Trike Razor
My YouTube Channel:

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After a real ride ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmick View Post
I mounted mine in the spring of 2015 and purchased it from Chaparral motorsports also. Its amazing how smooth the ride is and how quiet the tire is compared to the MPA or BT45. To me even if it lasts only 10,000 miles I would replace it with another just because of ride and handling.
What can I say ......
...... I love this new Avon Cobra TRIKE radial that I put on our '97 GL1500 / Lehman Trike. Before today I had only had the trike out for the one short 7 or 8 mile local ride on local roads at 55 mph or less and while it "promised" a good ride, that was not a great test.

Today, "Wife Unit" and I got up early, coffeed up, etc .... and by 8:30 am were on the road to meet up with other chapter folks about 45 miles from home on Rt 11, about 10 miles of I-81, and Rt 250 west to Churchville and from there, we lead the group over to Highland County for the "Highland Maple Festival" ..... then we rode up to Franklin, WV for a late lunch and then took Rt 33 back across the mountains to Va. and then the ride down 11 home. Total mileage for "Wife Unit" and I was near 240 miles. Speeds ranged from 65-70 on a super smooth portion of I-81, lots of 55-60 on good state primary highway, lots of 50-55 on not so smooth state secondary roadway in the mountains over ridges and along side creeks and "South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River". Lots of tight curves, sweepers, straights, smooth, rough, and some loose material thrown in.

I've ridden these same roads a bunch over the years and this radial soaks up the bridge expansion joints and roadway irregularities that accompany patches as found on these roads as a mild "nudge" instead of the harsh "thump" of the bias tires ..... and putting this tire on was like adding a steering stabilizer as well. That low speed twitch one feels as the rear wheels go over irregularities at angles, where the handlebars are pulled left and right .... that is diminished to the extent you don't even notice it. Likewise, when you go into a turn, high speed or low, the handlebars tend to stay where you intended with less shake when there's a ripple or dip or other rough spot running across the roadway. Owing to all of that, this tire is far less tiring on the rider on these not so smooth crooked mountain roads. I am sure that "Wife Unit" is tired of hearing me say how much I like this tire, but it's such a huge improvement up front.

There may someday be developed a better front tire for the "trike" but for now ..... no MPA or M-50 compares. I've had both ..... and as far as the Bridgestone option ..... judging just from riding other trikes with the Bridgestone, I'd say it beats that too. I know, $155 and up is not cheap, but when looked at in terms of added smiles per mile ... it's a good deal and even if I only get 3-4 years or 10-15,000 miles out of it, I'm sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredman View Post
Nice, I am going to give that one a try next time. I have the MPA and it has 22K on it and still has lots of life left.

You hang onto it another year or two maybe and then make the change ..... and I'll bet you'll soon decide there's more to it than just mileage .... and that you'll wished you had done it long ago.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:19 PM

Year: 2014
Model: 2014 Gl1800 Motor Trike Razor
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
What can I say ......
...... I love this new Avon Cobra TRIKE radial that I put on our '97 GL1500 / Lehman Trike. Before today I had only had the trike out for the one short 7 or 8 mile local ride on local roads at 55 mph or less and while it "promised" a good ride, that was not a great test.

Today, "Wife Unit" and I got up early, coffeed up, etc .... and by 8:30 am were on the road to meet up with other chapter folks about 45 miles from home on Rt 11, about 10 miles of I-81, and Rt 250 west to Churchville and from there, we lead the group over to Highland County for the "Highland Maple Festival" ..... then we rode up to Franklin, WV for a late lunch and then took Rt 33 back across the mountains to Va. and then the ride down 11 home. Total mileage for "Wife Unit" and I was near 240 miles. Speeds ranged from 65-70 on a super smooth portion of I-81, lots of 55-60 on good state primary highway, lots of 50-55 on not so smooth state secondary roadway in the mountains over ridges and along side creeks and "South Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River". Lots of tight curves, sweepers, straights, smooth, rough, and some loose material thrown in.

I've ridden these same roads a bunch over the years and this radial soaks up the bridge expansion joints and roadway irregularities that accompany patches as found on these roads as a mild "nudge" instead of the harsh "thump" of the bias tires ..... and putting this tire on was like adding a steering stabilizer as well. That low speed twitch one feels as the rear wheels go over irregularities at angles, where the handlebars are pulled left and right .... that is diminished to the extent you don't even notice it. Likewise, when you go into a turn, high speed or low, the handlebars tend to stay where you intended with less shake when there's a ripple or dip or other rough spot running across the roadway. Owing to all of that, this tire is far less tiring on the rider on these not so smooth crooked mountain roads. I am sure that "Wife Unit" is tired of hearing me say how much I like this tire, but it's such a huge improvement up front.

There may someday be developed a better front tire for the "trike" but for now ..... no MPA or M-50 compares. I've had both ..... and as far as the Bridgestone option ..... judging just from riding other trikes with the Bridgestone, I'd say it beats that too. I know, $155 and up is not cheap, but when looked at in terms of added smiles per mile ... it's a good deal and even if I only get 3-4 years or 10-15,000 miles out of it, I'm sold.

You hang onto it another year or two maybe and then make the change ..... and I'll bet you'll soon decide there's more to it than just mileage .... and that you'll wished you had done it long ago.

I ordered the Avon Trike Tire last night. I have just about 23K on the MPA and noticing some cupping and a bit of vibration when slowing. Time to change before we take off for another 3000 mile trip in June.

Jim's Motor Trike Razor
My YouTube Channel:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
I have the Avon trike tire on my sidecar rig. I love the tire, it's quite, handles good even on wet roads, and no cupping. I'll be lucky to get 14k out of it, but i think that has to do with the hack wanting to pull right on crowned roads and the roads and way I ride. I have a spare ready to be mounted and won't being going back to the BT45.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page