Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997GL1500 Aspen
Make: Honda
Model: 1997 GL 1500 Trike
Garage
Rake

How hard is it too put a 4 1/2 in .Rake on a Honda 1500 Goldwing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
It's not "hard" (as I understand the word) but it is "time consuming" and it's a great opportunity to do some other "maintenance" chores while the whole front end is apart (not the fairing .... just handlebars to wheel axle and all in between).

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997GL1500 Aspen
Model: 1997 GL 1500 Trike
Garage
Thank you CrystalPistal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
These are the instructions for Champion's EZ Steer: http://www.championsidecars.com/uplo...steer_1500.pdf also have a service manual for your bike on hand.
CrystalPistol likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Aspencade 1500
Garage
Getting ready for fall...😂

Only a biker knows why a dog puts his head out of a window of a moving vehicle.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank1953 View Post
How hard is it too put a 4 1/2 in .Rake on a Honda 1500 Goldwing.
Funny you should ask Hank

I just finished installing one in my 1800... Just a bit different from the 1500 but close enough for comparison... I installed a Traxxion 4.5 degree billet aluminum triple tree with All Ball tapered roller bearings...

As others have said, if your a "competent wrench" it is not a difficult job... A bit time consuming, but not difficult... Probably the most difficult part for me was the lower race... Being able to work while standing on your head for this item is a definite plus...

Driving out the old races is not hard and installing the new bearings is not hard... Put the races in your freezer over nite to shrink them down a bit - that helps too...

BTW, the price for the Traxxion 4.5 degree was $600 - best price I have seen anywhere and it is a beautiful piece of machining and then silver anodized...

Les

DSCN0271.jpg DSCN0272.jpg DSCN0273.jpg DSCN0274.jpg
DSCN0275.jpg DSCN0276.jpg
AZgl1800 likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Model: 1999 goldwing se
I would love to put one of these rake kits on my 1500 trike, however they seem awful expensive for what you get. It's just 2 pieces of machined aluminum and 2 ball bearings. I realize that is an over simplification of what it is, but to me it's a lot of money that I wished I had . I guess I will continue to put more effort into turning the trike than you lucky guys do. Hey anybody got one laying around they want to get rid of real cheap??? You know it's the giving time of the year.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:52 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKB53 View Post
I would love to put one of these rake kits on my 1500 trike, however they seem awful expensive for what you get. It's just 2 pieces of machined aluminum and 2 ball bearings. I realize that is an over simplification of what it is, but to me it's a lot of money that I wished I had . I guess I will continue to put more effort into turning the trike than you lucky guys do. Hey anybody got one laying around they want to get rid of real cheap??? You know it's the giving time of the year.
That is a lot of machining for something that is not really mass produced, that price is not surprising at all.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
If all you see is "2 pieces of machined aluminum and 2 ball bearings." .... and if you never try one out .... you'll never miss it and you'll save the $$$.

Our '97 was triked in 1998 by the dealer / buddy that I know, it was their personal ride, their first GL ever actually .... he retired USFS and started building trikes. In 2004 when we bought it, it has NO rake kit and they (he and his wife who also rode) did not recommend rake kits as a habit nor did they ever consider one for the '97. Not tight, they spent $$$ on a lot of extras like X=tractor Exhsuat, Comp-u-fire alt., chrome doodads, several windshields, several seats at near $900 + a pop, electrical upgrade like BackOff, etc .... but never a rake kit. Soon, she was the principle rider of the trike and he often rode a Valk. She had never rode one with a rake, she was strong for her size .... but very petit .... and she had to reach to steer tight.

I had the trike a couple weeks and then one day on a group ride up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, was offered a ride on one with 6 degrees added. Before I was out of the parking lot at Whetstone Ridge, I was hooked. I had my buddy / dealer order me a Champion EZ Steer 6 degree kit the next business day. It was a few days later when he called, it was in.

We drove to his place (80 miles one way) and we all had supper and I brung it back and the next weekend, I had the trike on the patio and doing my install. Soon, I got both him and her on the old familiar ride that now had a 6 degree kit.

From then on, they pushed rake kits and had one on every single personal trike they owned. Often their personal trike got extra "chrome" or "mods" and often, a potential customer would make an offer they just could not refuse.

You usually get the upper triple tree, the lower triple tree with steering stem, two tapered roller bearings, and two fork extensions .... and a lot of engineering and precise machine work that return years of added pleasure to your trike riding.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKB53 View Post
Well, I can understand your thoughts - kind of... Because I have some experience on a CNC milling machine years ago, I have a feel for what it takes to produce this item... I also just like finely machined parts, so I don't feel that the 600 dollars is that bad a price... Sure, I would rather have it be 200-250 dollars but that is unrealistic considering the machining, anodizing, and design that went into this item...

Here's the other side of it... I stopped at a local well known trike shop a few weeks ago to get a price on converting my 09... It was a Roadsmith conversion and had a few extras on it including a 6 degree rake kit... The out the door price was $17,300 dollars!!! YIKES!!! Now THAT seemed a bit pricey to me for what it is, especially considering that I paid "only" 18K for my bike!!!

So, for me, and I recognize that everyone's opinion will vary, I paid 3K for my Tow Pac conversion, 400 dollars to have it painted, and about another 50 bucks for LED lights... Considering the 600 dollars for the rake kit, it seemed like a bargain!!! So I have a grand total of $4050 in my bike that rides nearly as well as a conversion (IMO)...

BTW, Traxxion is only about 90 miles away from me, so I went over there and looked at their operation... The place is immaculate and you could literally eat off the machine shop floors... Super nice people that stand behind their product, and are more than willing to help with advice... I also have Traxxion springs in my front end so this was not my first experience with the Traxxion people...

My bike with the Tow Pac, rides nearly as well as the 17K conversion, and I have the distinct advantage of still having the original Honda power train on my bike, so if it ever fails somewhere I am riding, I can drop the Tow Pac kit and ride it into a Honda dealership for service...

I haven't tried riding it yet on 2 wheels with the rake kit on, but I will try a cautious ride in the future and see how it handles... I expect somewhat different handling but something that is still manageable... I will report back here with that after I make that ride...

Oh, the other thing is, I also haul my trike in the back of my 3/4 ton pick-up with a Rampage Bike Lift... Being my age and my wife is a bit younger than me, we now prefer the comfort of the truck on long trips, so we just put the bike in the bed of the truck, drive to destination, unload the bike and ride locally... I've been riding for over 45 years, and have ridden thru rain, sleet, hail, tornado's, and snow, and at this point in my life, have nothing to prove... So I acquiesced to my bride's wishes and bought the Rampage to haul the bike, and I must confess, that air conditioned cab is pretty nice when it's 95+ degrees outside... I had to modify the Tow Pac fenders to be quick disconnect, but that was a pretty easy task, so I really have the best of all worlds... Hopefully, all these mods will keep this 70 year "young" rider on the road for a while longer...

And finally, the 600 dollars from Traxxion is the absolute lowest price I have ever seen a rake kit for... This also included the fork extensions and All Balls bearings... Most others are from 700 to 1200 dollars so again, I thought the Traxxion was a great deal... The 4.5 degree seems to be just about perfect for me... I always thought the 6 degree kits were a little too twitchy at highway speeds - again - just my personal opinion and others will disagree I'm sure...

The bike is an absolute pleasure to ride with the 4.5 degree rake kit, and I have the Tow Pac dialed in to what I consider to be near perfect ride...

600 dollars is a lot of money to be sure, but again, considering the alternatives I have looked at, I thought it was the best deal for me...

Regards,
Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page