Tires on Voyager trike, radials? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
Tires on Voyager trike, radials?

I've had some issues with front tire wobble on my 85 Ltd, with a Voyager trike. Just put a Pirelli on the front, seemed to fix those deceleration wobbles, 35-45mph. But now I notice the trike tires bouncing. Put 1oz balancing beads in both, better but still bounces a bit. Good at 60mph though. Have more beads on the way.

Question is, the trike tires are radials, which according to Voyager's website they come that way, but has anyone used anything different with success? I was always under thw impression to never mix bias and radial tires.

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: Gl 1800 Roadsmith trike
The first question that comes to my mind if you have wobbling issues are the forks. Are they a raked fork or still Factory? Typically wobbling front ends indicate Factory Forks in most cases a trike conversion they highly recommend raked Forks. Second thing is balancing beads my opinion there a waste of money a set of balancing weights on the Wheel Old School method is the best.
As for front tire I've been using Avon cobra tire that is specifically made for trikes I highly recommend this tire you will not believe the ride you get with it. I'm on my second Cobra trike Tire and got 18K out of first Tire with no issues.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricycleman View Post

Second thing is balancing beads my opinion there a waste of money a set of balancing weights on the Wheel Old School method is the best.

a lot of difference of opinion with this.

Beads will always keep the tires in balance, whereas solid weights will not.

Beads will pretty much prevent cupping, whereas it is obvious that weights don't.

I have 3 oz of Dyna Beads in the front E3, and 4 oz of Dyna Beads in the rear Michelin RF tire....

most folks think that is 1 oz more than needed for either tire.
actually, it don't make any difference, as the beads will balance out completely regardless of the amount, provided you don't:

1) not enough to counteract an imbalance

2) put in so much, that there is just a solid lump of something that can't balance anything.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I'm a solid lump of something and I can barely balance myself, let alone a wheel.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Limited Edition
Model: GL1200L
I've done everything but replace the swing arm bearings and rear tire. New front tire helped tremendously, I use beads in all 4 tires. When I added some to the trike tires it helped even more. Before when I changed the stem bearings, rebuilt front forks with progressives, front bearings, it didn't change, although the suspension is awesome. I constantly check my PSI, so that's out.

I know for a fact the right trike tire has issues because I can see it bounce a little. The beads helped, and adjusting my trike preload to 1" really made a difference in handling.

Just still feel a bit of wobble at around 40-45 mph. Bugs me. My Shadow Aero is smooth as glass, wish my big girl was too.

I'm thinking about changing tires on the trike, and wanted to know which tires to get, radial or bias, and if that makes a difference.
Thanks

PS, Dennis needs to ride, he's going stir-crazy sitting around. Me too come to think about it, argh!

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks. Daniel Boone
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1500 Aspencade
You need to make sure that the Voyager trike is set up according to the instructions. If not you will get a bad wobble at low speeds. Had a Voyager on my 92 Gl1500se.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM

Also with your Voyager kit watch your outriggers tire pressures.

Old age is like fine wine,you just get better.
Honorary Rhino
Nassir 5
Nassir 7
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:34 AM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
try a steering damper. it help my gl 1500 when i put the sidecar on. i take my sidecar on and off when i feel like it i had a little wobble the damper took it out.

life is good.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page