02 CSC Cobra Trike rear brakes. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Cobra Trike
Garage
02 CSC Cobra Trike rear brakes.

I have done alot of riding so far this season just got home from another week long trip on the bike 5k+ miles. I found my rear brakes very low in pads. I have contacted CSC and the brake pads are $7.50 each and they say i need 8 pads. I have done a quick search on youtube and found nothing on replacing pads. This is just my thoughts but why would you need 4 pads per caliper and is there any videos out there showing how this is done? Any thoughts on this or directions would be a great help.

The brake pads are $7.50 each ( will need 8 ) (4 per caliper) You can call our Part's Dept. to place an order. (434)263-6500 ext. 28 Part # BRK-42104.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:13 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I think I would take a look first. 8 pads does sound abnormal. Probably you could find something locally that would fit as they usually use brakes from some car.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Banned

Year: 1986
Make: honda
Model: gl1200A
why would they sell them as "each"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
CSC lists their brake calipers as proprietary, below is from their site and they also have an upgraded braking system. They may contract with Wilwood for the calipers or maybe make them in house. https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperListLanding

Quote:
DISC BRAKE SYSTEM

Our braking systems surpass all others in efficiency and safety with truly confidence-inspiring braking performance.
COBRA XL brakes are completely integrated with O.E.M Linked Braking and fully ABS Integrated.
Application specific, proprietary, patented, CNC machined, four-piston, aluminum alloy brake calipers.

Our performance upgrade offers drilled & nickel plated rotors with vented and red anodized calipers for improved heat dissipation.
Check their list of brake pads and see if any match yours: https://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/BrakePads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the great info. I will get the tires off and get to looking at the style of pads and go from there. Thanks RT.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have successfully found and changed the rear brakes on my CSC Cobra trike. The Pads turned out to be EBC FA175 pads. Here is a quick how also for anyone to keep and use maybe archive for future reference.
I found it very easy to get the trike up on the center stand with a car jack to lift the rear end as far as jack can go to remove rear tire 1 at a time to help with balance. My trike kit requires that I remove the air from the tires to clear fenders as they drop out the bottom. There is 2 14MM bolts on the caliper that are required to be taken out. Once they are out then you can remove the caliper up and inspect the pads. There is a very small retaining cotter pin that needs to be removed then the pin with a needle nose pliers to push out the rear. The 4 brake pads per wheel will then just fall out. Remember to compress the pistons while the old pads are still in position. Then for reassembly pads and pin then retaining pin slip back on to brake rotor and tighten bolts. I did find that if the bolts like mine are corroded I used some WD40 and inserted them from the front to help clean it up for easy of installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180810_185709.jpg (51.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20180810_185534.jpg (44.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180810_185519.jpg (70.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20180810_185514.jpg (63.1 KB, 18 views)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:06 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Aha, I finally see what they did. Made a caliper to accommodate the linked brake system.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it is a 4 piston caliper with a pair on each side or front to back. The system is really easy to figure out but the lack of info from CSC that you have to buy their pads is bunk. I did however while the tires are off greased all the points 2 up and 2 lower. I still have a squeak when I hit a bump. That is a different topic later just need a ride today.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page