CSC Escapade Air Shocks Leak? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pure Texas
  • 1 Post By Pure Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2004 GL1800 Lehman Trike
Question CSC Escapade Air Shocks Leak?

Hi, I have a 2004 CSC Escapade trailer which I purchased new back in 2004. I have a slow air leak somewhere and can't find it in the oem Progressive air shock lines. I tightened the lines and checked all the fittings and valve stem with soap & water....... nothing. I'm hoping that it's not a shock seal issue, but it's starting to look that way. If its the Progressive shocks, I heard that they are around $400.00 for a pair new......... Yikes! Maybe they can be rebuilt, if not I may have to look for an alternative. Have you experienced this problem? If so, did you find a fix? Any help and/or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:16 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Maybe contact CSC.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
14 years sounds like a reasonable lifetime for a shock absorber.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Maybe contact CSC.
Thanks for the reply....... I'm going to contact them this week. I'll report back once I have a definitive answer. Thanks again, Ray
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPaula View Post
Hi, I have a 2004 CSC Escapade trailer which I purchased new back in 2004. I have a slow air leak somewhere and can't find it in the oem Progressive air shock lines. I tightened the lines and checked all the fittings and valve stem with soap & water....... nothing. I'm hoping that it's not a shock seal issue, but it's starting to look that way. If its the Progressive shocks, I heard that they are around $400.00 for a pair new......... Yikes! Maybe they can be rebuilt, if not I may have to look for an alternative. Have you experienced this problem? If so, did you find a fix? Any help and/or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
If it is Progressive,they are easy to reSeal,the seals are readily available,
They are most likely 416 and hereís the part number.oops sorry bout the sideways pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5BCBD7AB-05D0-4F4F-AFE8-29171BE90073.jpg (111.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg B1D2FF7E-2AF3-4B83-9644-896CCC59EF6C.jpg (98.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 31168A83-7F7F-4A9A-92A6-2E5F27234211.jpg (100.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg DB000873-6906-48B8-8F9F-CFAEA911C52B.jpeg (94.1 KB, 8 views)
CrystalPistol likes this.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
If it is Progressive,they are easy to reSeal,the seals are readily available,
They are most likely 416 and hereís the part number.oops sorry bout the sideways pix
Thanks for the help! I'm going to contact Progressive this week. I will ask about the seals along with how to tell what specific air shock it is. I'm assuming that the air shock is part #416 as you mentioned. I'm not exactly sure how to check if it's the shock seals or not. Removal shouldn't be too big of a problem but, getting air to them while performing an under water test would be a challenge due to the lack of a normal valve stem. Do you know if they are fairly easy to rebuild yourself? Are special tools needed? Also, if you have any tips for rebuilding, removal, etc. I would sincerely appreciate it. I.M.O. it would also be a good idea to change out all the lines, fittings, etc. as well. Thank you again for taking the time in forwarding this information along with the pic's. Ray
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPaula View Post
Thanks for the help! I'm going to contact Progressive this week. I will ask about the seals along with how to tell what specific air shock it is. I'm assuming that the air shock is part #416 as you mentioned. I'm not exactly sure how to check if it's the shock seals or not. Removal shouldn't be too big of a problem but, getting air to them while performing an under water test would be a challenge due to the lack of a normal valve stem. Do you know if they are fairly easy to rebuild yourself? Are special tools needed? Also, if you have any tips for rebuilding, removal, etc. I would sincerely appreciate it. I.M.O. it would also be a good idea to change out all the lines, fittings, etc. as well. Thank you again for taking the time in forwarding this information along with the pic's. Ray
Itís fairly simple,get the rubber cover off and thereís a ring holding the seal in,remove it and blow the seal out with air,it takes a lot of air and have it pointed into a bucket cause it comes out with a bang,I used a piece of pvc to drive the new seal back in,the problem is the oil is gone and thatís what keeps the air in,I was skeptical but CWN assured it would be fine.youtube has good instructions,donít count on Progressive to help,just google that part number,I think Amazon has them,I got mine out of Canada.

CrystalPistol likes this.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
Itís fairly simple,get the rubber cover off and thereís a ring holding the seal in,remove it and blow the seal out with air,it takes a lot of air and have it pointed into a bucket cause it comes out with a bang,I used a piece of pvc to drive the new seal back in,the problem is the oil is gone and thatís what keeps the air in,I was skeptical but CWN assured it would be fine.youtube has good instructions,donít count on Progressive to help,just google that part number,I think Amazon has them,I got mine out of Canada.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-S.../dp/B0081XZDHS
Thanks for the help...... I'm not sure if I want to tackle the job or not. I did receive an email back last night from Progressive in which I asked them the following questions;

1) How can I tell what the actual air shock part number is?

2) Does Progressive offer any instructions for rebuilding?

3) Do you carry the air lines, connectors, etc.?

Response from Progressive;

Hi Ray,

We offer a rebuild kit for 26.00 but we are out right now. You can do it yourself. If your shocks are out of the year warranty, we do not rebuild them any longer. For the airlines, we sell them, but there is about a month lead time right now.
If there is not a sticker on the shock with the part #, you will have to call CSC. I need the part # of the shock to give you the connectors, and tubing you need.
 I have attached the instructions.
We do not have fitment for trailers, we sell CSC a private label shock, so give them the model of trailer to see if they offer it.

I'm a little concerned about part availability and/or shock replacement. I.M.O. it's a little odd to have everything on back order. I'm going to contact CSC for a response. Hopefully there is another shock out there for us CSC owner's for an alternative. If there is, I haven't heard of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind an adjustable shock without air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Shock Instructions.jpg (143.2 KB, 5 views)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

The following is an email I received today from CSC. "Now I'm really concerned"

Raymond,
We do not rebuild shocks nor do we have any rebuild kits. Progressive use to rebuild them but no longer. Progressive, two weeks ago told us they are no longer building our shocks. We do not have an alternative yet. We do have an airline kit that sells for $33.00 plus shipping.
Best Regards
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I think those airline kits have been about $33 for a long time now.

This thread did get me to order a seal kit 76-5041 (off ebay) for a pair of 416s & also good for GL1100 / Gl1200 shocks as both mine have Progressive 416s out back. All of them are 20 years old and no issues.

They came today, https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL110...53.m2749.l2649

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page