• 1 Post By Cornpone
  • 1 Post By trike lady

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1991
Make: Honda/Motor Trike
Model: GL1500A Trike
Let's talk about rear shocks

So after reading through the manual for my trike, (thanks again Trike Lady!) I see it mentions "optional shock absorbers." How do I tell if I have stock GL1500 shocks or some aftermarket version? Also, what servicing should be done to them? At 76k miles, I'm sure they're due for something. And while I'm asking questions, what air pressure should I be running in them? At 6'5" and 275 lbs, I'm no small man. And for that matter, my wife isn't petite either and she'll be on the back seat.
Thank you all SO much for all the help, no idea what I'd do without it! Oh, almost forgot to mention, it's a '91 gl1500a Lehman.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
If you have stock shocks from a GL1500, the left shock will be a spring shock and the right will be air. I'm pretty sure that some one changed your shock's when they did the trike conversion. You probably need to ask Lehman what shock they use with the rear end. Good Luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
My '97 SE with '98 Lehman GTL conversion has Progressive Series 416 Air / Spring / Shocks, my guess is they were optional upgrade. I always thought they were standard, but don't know what would be more so now I wonder if maybe regular were Spring / Shock units.

Maybe by '98, Progressives were standard. Have you looked at them?

If Progressive, may I suggest 50-70 psi in them at least for two up.

These are Progressive 416s:

2talltom likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:20 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
It would be hard for me to imagine a quality company building a trike rear end suspension using stock components as described above, one spring and one air, especially since the physics of a trike are very different than a stock bike (and, my $.02, that system wasn't a good idea to begin with.) You can simply look at the components from down on the floor and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that you have the dual Progressive Suspension air shocks. I put those on my '95 GL1500 and, other than the HID headlight system, it was the best money I've ever spent on a bike.
CrystalPistol likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Page #14 of the installation manual uses plural for the shocks "Connecting the air lines" that means both are air shocks and orientation of the "Fittings". But it contradicts itself by listing #7 "Box containing optional shock absorbers" page 4. There's only one way to tell what you have and that's to look under the trike. I cannot find anything that tells the installer to reuse the original shocks.
CrystalPistol likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1991
Make: Honda/Motor Trike
Model: GL1500A Trike
Well, I suppose when I tear into it on Saturday I'll find out what's there and will report back. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll probably have lots to say by the end of the day Saturday!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page