1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveO430

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1200
Garage
Starter issue with my late Dad's 1800 trike

Hi all,

A couple months ago, my dad suddenly passed away. While at his place deciding what to do with all his stuff, I tried to start his gl1800 with a roadsmith trike kit. I believe it's a 2004. I found that the reverse button was stuck in and got it unstuck, and heard the reverse disengage, but it won't start. The relay clicks and the lights go out, but the starter motor doesn't do anything. The battery had also gone dead at some point but is charged now. Could there be some easily fixable issue from it sitting for at least 2 months with the reverse button in, or am I looking at putting a new starter in it so we can sell it? I've got a valkyrie and a gl1200 that I've worked on a fair bit, but I don't know much about the 1800s.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Hello . You say the battery was dead and now charged. I might check the voltage across the battery terminals while pressing the starter button. The starter load may drop the voltage back to near zero. If the voltage remains 10vdc minimum with no cranking , then I would move to the starter solenoid. There, check for battery voltage into solenoid, if present press the start button and check the out going post/cable . Its possible the starter is good but the solenoid contact is not making good connection. At that point you could run a positive jumper wire directly to the starter lead at the solenoid and see if the starter spins.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Make sure the kill switch is on and it's in neutral.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page