post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
My thoughts are:

Do NOT have the 2nd battery in parallel permanently.
Its' intention is to be an Emergency battery to get you "the hell out of Dodge" in case you have a late night party, and forget to turn off the Stereo and run the main battery down. That'll work too.

For me? If I felt the need to "keep it charged", I would use a relay triggered by the Accessory terminal. That relay could place the battery in parallel with the main battery. I thought about a relay.

I am betting that you use it to help a friend, way more often than for yourself. Likely.
been there, done that one. For that reason, you would want to be able to remove it easily. Oh, it's easily removed. Just release strap, remove a 10mm nut at neg end, then slide back toward door, remove (+) bolt and it's out if need be. Wrap the (+) cable end in something non conductive, stash it and shut door.

the series Diode idea has a major flaw:

the 2nd battery would never get a full charge owing to the fact that diodes have a defined Voltage Drop across the junction.
  • Silicon ~0.7 volts
  • Germanium ~0.2 volts
I too, have a spare AGM setting in my office...
use it sporadically to power up something that needs 12 volts while I play with it inside the house. What I was gonna do with the older Odyssey, but it left here in the 1200. I still got that cart with two big group 65 Batts. Might hang an inverter on it too, have a couple that aren't in use, both were gifts in past years.

as for a dedicated box? it does not need one, just pack the Saddle bag appropriately to keep it from bouncing around..... or, add a strap to keep it in place. Yeah, would not consider it with a wet cell but these AGMs are great for that. I wouldn't have put a regular one in the lower trunk.
Frogg Toggs and the bike covers should do the job adequately, that is how I hold the spare 1 gallon Jerry can for my "Get the hell out of Dodge" when I run out of gasoline. ( done that already once for myself) Buddy once bought a new 2gal. gas jug as he was gonna pull a trailer out west, so he thought for sure it was OK. Packed it in his trailer with thier clothes, etc. First night at motel he found out. No leaks he said, but every piece of clothing smelled of gasoline, so it had to leak fumes at the least. They had to launder the whole lot of them clothes. He gave the jug away, after dumping the gas into his tank. Was same trip a bison charged him.

Ooops, I see that supper is ready.

Later Les

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have written before about how well the Odyssey PC680 I had in the Trike from 2004 until this past Spring (2019) had performed for me, and it's still alive and well in the 1200 with new owner. I now have two in my '97 Trike.

But after I told a buddy how well it was doing "then", he bought one for his '96 GL1500 in April 2016. I know he didn't get to ride much last summer and he's been tied up with other stuff this summer. His PC680 died from lack of use. He tried charging it, and for two days I have tried with both my smart charger on AGM setting and a regular charger. Cannot get it over 15% charge. I've tried it at 2 amps, 6 amps, and 10 amps. My smart charger starts out like it's gonna charge, then goes into a desulfation mode, then real soon, it just aborts. I even suspected the charger, but it works perfectly on known good batteries, like a 2001 Motorcraft Gp 65 that was OEM in our '01 Merc that is in my battery cart for portable power (I swapped it out in 2006 thinking it was near end of life before we took a 21 day & 8,000 mile road trip west, it's had an easy life since then in the cart while the Merc has had a couple others) and my generator's new AGM. I think that his PC680 is defective or past "end of life", and out of warranty. Maybe he let it go too long dead?

But in other news, my two battery mod is working well. I have several maintainers that just put out 1.5 or 2.0 amps to charge, then float at what ever they float at. I checked them today, one seems to "float" at 12.8 vDC while a B&D one "floats" out at 13.11 vDC. (another "floats" at just barely over 12 vDC). I think that in view of my buddy's dead, deceased, kaput, & smootered PC680, I likely will use one of these maintainers this winter. Either one (12.8 or 13.11) will work to keep the batteries from suffering significant discharge due to memory requirements of the Trike, I think they'll be fine with both even, but I could alternate easily.

But what is this talk of Winter? It was 94 here today. Lots of great weather will soon be here.
Quote:
the battery chemistry is not what is at fault.

it is the total lack of proper battery maintenance during the idle periods.
I think you're right. This one is just too far gone. Oh well, I tried.
IMO,
to not dedicate a Battery Tender to a battery that sees infrequent use, is heresy. Might near.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:39 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
the battery chemistry is not what is at fault.

it is the total lack of proper battery maintenance during the idle periods.

IMO,
to not dedicate a Battery Tender to a battery that sees infrequent use, is heresy.
This is assuming that battery is installed into a vehicle/RV and there is a slight amount of "monitoring current" going on with the electrical system.
It don't take much, just 5 mA will kill an AGM battery over 5 to 6 months.

My Pontiac Vibe has a monitor, it blinks every 3 seconds.
My 2001 Suburban has two monitors on it, the ECU and the RV Trailer Brake system..... ( I let it set for 3 months last winter and the battery dropped to 12.3 Volts ) started it up and drove it to town, all is well now.

If the batteries are disconnected, and brought inside to relatively warm temps, they can go a year or two and still perform adequately at startup w/o being charged.... far better though, to put a Battery Tender on any battery that has not been charged in months, even if it is inside.

I have an AGM in my office that has not been used in 3 years, I check it once in a while, and it stays at about 12.6 Volts. I think I will get the BT out of the garage and put it on that battery tonight.
CrystalPistol likes this.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
This reminds me, that my Auxiliary Generator has not been started since last winter, it has an AGM battery that is totally disconnected when the Switch Key is OFF.

it stays at 12.6ish year around, and the motor cranks over and starts in less than 2 revolutions...

This is because the gas tank valve is turned to OFF, and the engine allowed to run at full speed until it reaches fuel exhaustion.

I have to fuel prime it to start it up, it has a pressure bulb for that purpose. It works every time w/o fail. Putting that on tomorrows list of things to do.

oh my, the RV AuxGen has not been started since last summer when we used it coming home from Colorado...... it ran until it ran out of gas, keeping the doggies cool while we toured a museum in Pueblo. that is going to take getting some E0 gasoline for that one, both of them actually.
CrystalPistol likes this.

~ John

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Have followed this thread and its very interesting. I have recently acquired a 2012 VStrom DL1000, much lighter than my GWs, and while perusing the various forums came across a thread where the fellow installed an external alternator on his '05 1000. Excellent write up and fit. He sold the unit separately when he sold the bike and the fellow that bought it has a side car on his VStrom and uses the external alternator to power all the extras that are installed because of the side car. The OEM charging system operates the bike. Good concept. Here's the thread web site: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,15655.0.html

People who own motorcycles are very innovative. Cheers
AZgl1800 and CrystalPistol like this.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
Have followed this thread and its very interesting. I have recently acquired a 2012 VStrom DL1000, much lighter than my GWs, and while perusing the various forums came across a thread where the fellow installed an external alternator on his '05 1000. Excellent write up and fit. He sold the unit separately when he sold the bike and the fellow that bought it has a side car on his VStrom and uses the external alternator to power all the extras that are installed because of the side car. The OEM charging system operates the bike. Good concept. Here's the thread web site: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,15655.0.html

People who own motorcycles are very innovative. Cheers
He sure was!

I know a guy who once had a sidecar equipped with his home made AC that used a cooler with alcohol and dry ice to circulate air through via fan for his wife. I forget how he made that. It got hot in that bubble top sidecar I guess. An extra battery was also used, but I think he just charged it up often before rides and she had a switch to turn it on / off at her will.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yesterday I removed the seat and put a two conductor power lead (like a Battery Tender uses, it has a cap and long protected leg is +) with a regular cig lighter like power outlet (also has a rubber cap) in the right side pocket beside the co-rider, I wired the pair together and ran a 12 gauge red to a fuse holder at the main (bike's OEM location) battery with a 20 amp fuse in it, and a 12 gauge black wire to a ground stud I had installed years ago on the right side of frame (to rear of battery). I dropped wires out of pocket beside the rear volume control wires. 6 or 10 amps is likeliest the most current it'll see in use with my charger. Even less with maintainer use. Now, there are outlets in left front pocket, top trunk, lower rear trunk, and this one. There was one in the right front pocket, but I never used it so I used it today with the new setup. Now when I need to hook up, no stooping to get in lower trunk no unplugging XM to use one in top trunk, and that one in left front pocket is switched so it was out as well.

Using a B&D maintainer and a digital solid state volt meter at same time, the maintainer first went to 14.4 at the highest, spent some time bouncing around in the 13s and near 14 before charge light stopped flashing when it went into standby holding steady 12.7vDC now with steady light. I then "turned on" the battery in the trunk and after some charging again, it settled down to the same 12.7 vDC. Like I said, these two batteries are very near the same age, etc.

My buddy who's AGM battery is DEAD now (post 12 above) is closing on a newly purchased house that needs a bit of work, meaning he won't be riding much if at all. I told him to wait to buy a new battery until when he's near to riding. That we would use my pump to pump the old gas out, put in a gallon of fresh real gasoline, put this battery in & then jump it to start so he can move it to this "new to him" home's garage (5-7 miles). Then, we'll pull the vacuum line to petcock, run carbs dry, then pump off any fuel in the tank.

Quote:
This reminds me, that my Auxiliary Generator has not been started since last winter, it has an AGM battery that is totally disconnected when the Switch Key is OFF.

it stays at 12.6ish year around, and the motor cranks over and starts in less than 2 revolutions...

This is because the gas tank valve is turned to OFF, and the engine allowed to run at full speed until it reaches fuel exhaustion.

I have to fuel prime it to start it up, it has a pressure bulb for that purpose. It works every time w/o fail. Putting that on tomorrows list of things to do.

oh my, the RV AuxGen has not been started since last summer when we used it coming home from Colorado...... it ran until it ran out of gas, keeping the doggies cool while we toured a museum in Pueblo. that is going to take getting some E0 gasoline for that one, both of them actually.
Yeah, easy to let it go too long. My older / largest generator was bought new in 2006. It too has a fuel valve I added to use to shut fuel off to let run carb dry, then I drain the tank. Ran it a lot in 2012 when a derecho killed power for a week Has a AGM battery laying on it's side, it's battery finally give up last year. It takes a AGM same exact size as the PC680, but I had already bought a replacement last year so I didn't put the extra PC680 in it instead. It was only like $50-$60. Generator has a plug in maintainer that plugs into generator's control panel.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page