13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Gettin' her ready ....

Thursday & Saturday I spent time in the basement catching up on maintenance on our trike with the idea of getting an inspection this coming week. Trike's mostly been just "sitting" since 2016 except for a couple short rides in the yard, and I have run the carbs dry after each run session. I also pumped the treated gas out of the tank last year and again this Spring, replacing with fresh (used old gas as mower gas, mower liked it).

Anyway, checking records, oil & filter & over sized fuel filter (I rerouted the fuel lines, put the larger all metal filter under the rear of seat area but it has less than 1,xxx miles on it) were all changed just a few hundred miles ago, just before that last real ride in 2016. Coolant (it's Honda premix) is not much older either. I guess it was last week I changed brake & clutch DOT4, and I've been under her looking but NO leaks. was maybe 2-3,xxx miles ago she got new timing belts, and front brake pads when I put the Avon on front in 2015. Did some waxing, etc. Checked gas cap, looks like a new one still (it's OEM).

Then I decided to have a look at the air filter, forgetting what a chore that can be. It has a K&N that was on it when we bought it, I cleaned & re-oiled it a few years ago. Surprised me that it was still pretty nice, still passed air, and I had forgotten how much metal was in the framework of it. Nice filter. I looked, got filter oil all over my hands, then reinstalled it. I realized then that I made a mistake removing all 7 screws, should have just backed the two on the far left & far right out part way, because putting them back in . lost two in the dark depths below. Neither magnet nor flashlight helped. I had spares, but I worried about where those two went. Throttle is smooth, no sign of them near alternator area, so I guess they'll just fall out one day.

Just rambling here I guess, nothing really good to add. I did order some longer seat bolts (10) for like $9.xx that are SS and long enough that I can bevel or point the ends. Tires are all great, no low ones. She looks ready for ridin'.
DBohrer and BLUTHUNDR31 like this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Sounds like you are ready to fire her up and ride. Not much room to access those screws you mentioned. You will probably see them when removing side panels
for other maintenance sometime. They won't hurt anything where they landed. Magnetizing a screwdriver can help. I use JIS screwdrivers. Sometimes I just slide my index finger down along the shank of the screwdriver and hold the screw to the driver until the screw is in the hole. Usually works good....!
CrystalPistol likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Sounds like you are ready to fire her up and ride. etc
I think so. I'm feeling "ready" anyway. Yesterday we went to our chapter meeting (last one at GC as they are closing, been meeting there for over 20 years) and it was good, even if we did 4 wheel it.
I was using a finger alongside the screw driver that is some magnetized, but maybe not enough. I even bought a set of JIS drivers last year too & was using one. I might use air jet nozzle from below just to move them? I don't need them now, but would like to know where they went. I recall now that those two holes are unlined, just snug holes in plastic cover where as others were metal lined with a loose fit. I guess Honda meant that I should leave those screws threaded in the cover and while I likely knew that years ago, I maybe forgot.

Oh well . I'll know better next time!

Did notice that the rear tires are down to about 4/32nds across the middle so I'll be shopping for new ones. I put them on in 2005, got about 30K on them, no checking or cracking at all, look new except for tread depth. Don't need no hydroplaning. They were cheap "Lemans SR" RWL tires, P215/70R15 and I used them because they just looked good on the trike, and Lemans is almost Lehman like. Can't get them now, will have to find something else, like Firestone Indy 500s (same tire, different name, they may not be available either?) or maybe Cooper Radial GT in RWL? I may have to go to a total black wall, but I liked the RWL look. Oh well, gotta buy new tires for my '07 FX4 too, 275/55R20 and it needs 4 (likely to be near $7-800), so these two for the trike will seem cheap in comparison.

I might even drop back to a P205/70-15 or P215/65-15 just to maybe make for easier removal & install under the fenders. When new, the trike had P245/60R15 Dunlop Radial GT Qualifiers that were huge and a bear to deal with. Then I swapped to P215/70R15 to lighten tire weight yet maintain OD & overall effective gearing and they were easier to get under the fenders until I added 1/2" spacers (&longer studs) to put the sidewalls back nearer the wheel opening (just for looks). Going to P205/70-15 or P215/65-15 will only slightly shorten the tire, and improve low speed "oooomph" I think, we almost never get on interstate anyway and be easier to remove for service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15X7 ASA Lemans SR 215-70R15 tire & spacers.JPG (158.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 15X7 ASA Dunlop GT Qualifier 245-60R15 tires.JPG (116.9 KB, 5 views)

...(Candy Spectra Red )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Those tires look good on your Trike.

I just put 4 new Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (225/50R17) tires on my 2010 Honda Accord EX (961.50). Had 81,000 on the OEM Michelin's....!

Its possible you might get lucky and blow those screws loose from where they are resting.

We might be rare exceptions (using a tread depth gauge) to monitor tire wear.....!!

Dave
AZgl1800 and CrystalPistol like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:16 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Gauges? We don't need no stinking gauges!

If jou can still see some tread, jou are good to go. And if jour boot bounces off the tire when you kick it, jou have enough air.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 PM

You probably also have a "calibrated" wrist.

You don't need no stinkin torque wrench.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
If I loose a screw I never have any trouble finding it. Because they always end up in a tire.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I use a Calibrated Ball Peen hammer for tire pressure

~ John

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Where does the week go? Something everyday this week, and today is Thursday and due to circumstances beyond my control, still haven't gotten it done. Gonna be Friday (tomorrow) at best now, but Trike's ready. Hope my helmets fit still.

Got in a batch of 10 longer socket head SS bolts, took 4 and cut (1/2" longer than OEM) and pointed them (place bolt in drill press, use angle grinder with flap sanding disc to point) to make a set of some easier to insert seat bolts.

Never had an issue with the Vacuum Petcock, but looking last night, but considering that it is 1997 OEM and I have a new unopened kit and two spare working examples. I took a P2 short bit and cut 1/4" off hex end, it fits in a small 1/4 X 5/16 ratcheting battery wrench well and looks like I can access the lower screws with it so I'm inclined to service it with the kit. This winter, if all goes well, I will be doing another oil & filter change and I'll change cruise & sub filters as well as coolant.

Was very pleased last night when I turned the key on and LCD lit up perfectly. I keep reading of failures, but it's looking good. I replaced all of the dash lights a few years ago as some bulbs had died. Looked over records again, I see that I just changed oil & filter a few hundred miles ago with Delo 400LE 15W-40. I seen two timing belts hanging up and so I wondered . looked and looks like they were just changed only 14,000 miles ago (Gates).

Today also, I recalled that I had an all plated brass Curtis key zip tied away under a rear fender. It was in a place that I had to lay on my back to reach, so I decided to move it. But then I decided if I'm moving it, why not just get another key for stashing, keep my current OEM pair (one is my use key, other is unmarked & unworn) on their interlocking key rings, and make a gas door knob with the all brass one. So I first determined that the key goes in deeper inignition than other places meaning that my new knob would not start the trike. For a knob, I settled on a plain black serrated cap off a old brake fluid bottle, it's like a cap off of a oil quart but a little shorter. I cleaned it well and removed the paper seal. I measured my key, made careful cuts and took the excess top part, fitted it to the cap innards, and soldered the key part at 90 degrees to it, then set it in the cap in JBWeld. Used up an already open set of JBWeld tubes. I left maybe 1/16" in the cap unfilled in case I need to fit it further by trimming, but in dry trials, it's right on the chrome accent surface.

I ordered two new keys from a fellow guaranteed to work using year, make, model, and key code, but they'll have rubber like top parts (brow he called it?). I'll zip tie one of them in a secret place (or toss into a soft covered compartment?), and maybe hang the other on a hook in the shop with a tag (after trying them).

I never imagined I'd be feeling like this just about taking the trike to town for an inspection, but it's just been so long (3 years) and so much has gone on . it's strange. I've had it in the yard (near 3 acres) but that ain't "on the road". I know I'll be OK, but still, I wonder about that left foot's nerve damage from shingles & all.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Those tires look good on your Trike.

I just put 4 new Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (225/50R17) tires on my 2010 Honda Accord EX (961.50). Had 81,000 on the OEM Michelin's....!

Its possible you might get lucky and blow those screws loose from where they are resting.

We might be rare exceptions (using a tread depth gauge) to monitor tire wear.....!!

Dave
81,000 huh? WOW!
My truck I'm gonna be shopping for is a '07 Ford F150 with 275/55R20 Perelli Scorpion ATRs (I think), the OEM ones went over 52,xxx and I thought that was great (can recall when 40,xxx was almost unheard of). What's on it now still have good tread, but two on driver's side are showing cracks near the bead. I was thinking of Goodyear Wranglers. A buddy puit Michelins on his '11 F150, same size, he loves them. I was gonna shop Walmart, but that's not gonna happen now.

Back in 1965 my Dad bought a new '65 Plymouth Satelite Station Wagon. He joined in with a bunch of fellow engineers at GE mobile radios, ordered Michelin X tires from France, Mom was livid for awhile, he took near new tires off the wagon. But they sure wore good, rode good, handled too he said. In 1968, we traded the '65 in on a new '68 Satelite Sport Wagon, 383-4bbl, factory tach, no clock, HD susp., trailer tow pack, dual exhaust, it was a beast. He removed it's new 8.55-14s (big tire then) and put Michelin X radials on it too and a set of Gabriel Silver E shocks, it would handle well for it's day.

Anyway, being this is a MC site, let me say the jury is still out on what I'll put on the trike's rear. With 4/32nds, I got awhile. Winter coming on too in a few short months.
Hah, I ain't got it inspected yet . but the day is young yet.

...(Candy Spectra Red )

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Trikes, Trailers and Sidecars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page