Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1500 trike build IRS unit

69K views 255 replies 18 participants last post by  glennuk 
#1 ·
:waving:hi , i have triked 3 gl 1200 s last year , there all had solid axels, with air shocks, , this is my first atempt at an independent rear suspention trike , i bought this bike on the 17 th december , i work full time so i only have the odd night time and the weekends to work on the build, i will keep the pictures comming and would like and idea s that you s may have , i cannot afford a real fibreglass body at the moment ,so im trying to make it work with the side panniers still on , , so here goes

#203 ·
imported post

Hey with one of thosei'd be able to get wing in shed at back of house.But buggar of a job taking body and axle off after every ride:cheeky1::cheeky1:

#204 ·
imported post

boy have i been busy ,it feels like i have been away from the forum for a long time,but im back on the build at last , well i will be tomorrow, im going the stay late and get a steel sheet welded onto the large extention , that i have made on therear of the lift , i have only modified one of the lifts at the monent , as im planning on building another two 1500 trikes over the winter , i will have to make a mold of the body , for the other two trikes,

also had to extend the front of the lift to carry the front wheel

this next one still needs a diagonal piece welded in

#205 ·
imported post

WOW, that shop is looking GREAT!
2-Lathes?
2-Jack platforms? With ext. mods!
Good welder!
Check picture below for "?"

#206 ·
imported post

this pipe conect s onto the exhaust manifold and the other end onto the air box , guess its to make the bike run better when is cold ,honda musthave a reason forit,

do you not have this pipe on your model 1500 ?

oh the round black bit at the bottom is the horn

#207 ·
imported post

Barry nunn , wow when you do it you do it up good .
congrats on the new shop have lots of fun.

#209 ·
imported post

i got the table extentions finished

ok i took your advise skip and droped the backend another inch, the axle s are sitting level now, and it may make the steering abit easyer?, to do this i have had to remake the top mounts for the shocks, the 2"x1" box steel is now turned side ways, this has redused it by 1 inch

here is a closer look

also i squared the backend up , it should be a perfect triangle now, i took the wheels off and measures form edge of the wheel hub to the edge of the piviot for the swingarm, but not with a tape , i used a long narrow piece of timber and marked it with a pen , with a stick you can get a straight line , tapes tend to bend and flex

#212 ·
imported post

Excellent workshop and facilities now Barry,build should be a breeze now:cheesygrin:

#214 ·
imported post

had it out for a test drive today , runs fine , it was loud though, only problem was them old brake disc s were binding on so i cleaned them up and freed off the two calipers , it seems alot better,

heres a picture of the propshaft and also i welded in some extra suport onto the bottom of the diff

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]
[/align]
[align=center][/align]

#215 ·
imported post

im having a right job trying to bleed the front brake , the two calipers are now linked together with a link pipe , and opperated from the front brake leaver, with no risidual valve fitter yet! there blead , but the leaver is very soft , theres nothing there,

anyone got any ideas???????????????:?

#216 ·
imported post

had my first ever atempt at fibreglassing today and it's not easy , when i got this body off skip , he had cut this part out ,to clear his chassis, but i have a little bit more clearance , so i altered it and glassed it back in, also skips shocks stood proud of his body ,so he made two square resesses , i have cut these out as i don't need them and when i make a mould ,it will be easer to get apart with out these in the body

this is a piece i trimed off , but it fits nice in the gap, so i started to glass it in place

#218 ·
imported post

barry nunn wrote:
im having a right job trying to bleed the front brake , the two calipers are now linked together with a link pipe , and opperated from the front brake leaver, with no risidual valve fitter yet! there blead , but the leaver is very soft , theres nothing there,

anyone got any ideas???????????????:?
I hav'nt done this modification yet,but i wouldsay you got air trapped somewhere.Fill resovour with brake fluid pump lever many times,loosen left bleed nipple, pump lever a few times,see if trapped air is being expelled.Tighten bleed nipple,continue pumping lever,loosen right bleed nipple to expell air.It may take a few goes to remove air lock.What sometimes works is when resovours full loosen left bleed nipple pump lever till fluid comes through, continue pumping till pressure is felt then lock bleed nipple,repeat on right caliper.Good luck!!

#221 ·
imported post

i have mad a wooden frame to carry the body,while i repair it , also it will be handy for the mould making process,

also painted the back end black , just need to make up an exhaust , thing is i can not go under the wishbones as the backend is very low, so i need to go over the drive shafts(axle s )

#222 ·
imported post

:sadguy:Barry, Where are you?:sleepy:

#223 ·
imported post

going over shoulnt be a problem wish you had goten tail pipes of a dual ehaust at pull aparts the you would have the bends ready. but I have faith in you.
looks good so far.

#225 ·
imported post

how does it ride with the stock honda shocks? is it stiff with the 2 coil overs on it?

#226 ·
imported post

Hi Barry.I joined the site today(wed 10th nov). Ive just bought a GL1500 to trike & Im very interested in the fixed axle trikes youve built using the air suspension.I presume it was the trusted Reliant Axle which ive already bought.I got so much greif from other users on lesser sites over the fact that "you cant use a solid axle with suspension without it seriously affecting the handling.It has to be hard tail". I dont suppose you have any plans i could use or even a few close up pics i could get some ideas from. I would be forever in your debt. Wanna make it a bolt on to get round the MSVA laws. Regards,Tink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.