Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1982 GL1100I

I have intermittent neutral and oil dash lights. When the lights are out, the temp and fuel meters show zero. The turn signal lights and the high beam light work just fine. Bike starts and runs normal, I’m just occasionally missing half the dash lights and the meters.

I have traced the wireing diagram and see that all the non-working lights and the 7v reg for the meters are all fed by fuse #2 where as the working lights are not. So it could be an intermittent open on fuse #2, except that fuse #2 also feds the spark units. I guess I could pull fuse #2 and see if the bike runs without it, which I will do tomorrow to confirm.

My question is - could the bike run without power to the spark units? I suspect not, buy maybe the experts know different.

If the spark units require a good fuse #2, then the cause of the intermittent open must be in a wire or connector somewhere. Sound about right?

·
Administrator
24,372 Posts
No, there is no fuse to the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!

I value your sage advice. You have more GL1100 knowledge in your pinky finger then I'll ever have. What's confusing me thou, is if you look at the wiring diagram I've attached, it shows the black/grey wire connected to fuse #2 as feeding the lights I'm having trouble with AS WELL AS the control unit and both spark units. so if my fuse is bad, shouldn't that take out the spark/control units as well? I'll test this theory after dinner tonight by pulling/testing #2 and seeing if she'll start. If the fuse is good AND she does not run with it removed, then the fault must be somewhere on the left side of the diagram.

Maybe my diagram is wrong??

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,372 Posts
Trust me, it will run with no fuses at all in it. That wiring diagram is obviously wrong. The one in the Honda manual shows different.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, you are a GOD!

You are quite right, the wiring diagram I posted is NOT for an ‘82 GL1100I. The diagram in the manual shows that the spark units are indeed NOT fused. Reading the diagram in the manual also showed that fuse #3 is the suspect. Sure ‘nuf, shorting across #3 caused the dash to light up like a Christmas tree! I popped in a fresh 5a fuse and took ‘er for a test ride.

Hello Neutral!

·
Administrator
24,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Having the correct wiring diagram helps find the trouble, eh? :wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having the correct wiring diagram helps find the trouble, eh? :wink2:

Yea, it do. The diagram I have isn't worth the paper its not printed on!:laugh:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,185 Posts
Before I changed mine out to auto fuses rolling those glass puppy's around in their clamps and squeezing the clamps together was almost part of the start up procedure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts