Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My GL1200 -84 suffers from a 125mA current drain from the battery when everything is switched off. No ignition on, nothing at all...
Triedto remove the fuses one by one, still 125mA leaving the battery.
As I do not have a shop manual available for the moment, is there more connected to the battery than the charging regulator with the ignition key "off"?
As 125mAmeans draining 3Ah per 24hI have temporary solved the problem by disconnecting the +cable from the battery. A good solution but not good enough :baffled:
Where should I look for current leaks?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hi StigRand welcome to the forum. 3amps per day is a lot, most bike alarms only draw about 1 amps max per day. There always is a drain of sorts on the gl1200, the radio memory etc., but 3amps is too much. I'm not an expert on the 1200, one of the ladsa will probably advise you better later on. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

StigR wrote:
My GL1200 -84 suffers from a 125mA current drain from the battery when everything is switched off. No ignition on, nothing at all...
Triedto remove the fuses one by one, still 125mA leaving the battery.
As I do not have a shop manual available for the moment, is there more connected to the battery than the charging regulator with the ignition key "off"?
As 125mAmeans draining 3Ah per 24hI have temporary solved the problem by disconnecting the +cable from the battery. A good solution but not good enough
Where should I look for current leaks?
StigR, a 125mA draw is mighty high. I would expect a good system to be wellunder 20mA.

Did you pull the radio in line fuse that's under the L/H fairing pocket? That feeds part of the radio system & is known for causing a high parasitic drain. (pull the L/H fairing pocket cover then pull the screws & remove the actual plastic pocket)

If it isn't that fuse try pulling the radio all the way out of the fairing pocket.

If still no problem found pull the upper fuel tank cover & unhook the voltage regulator as a test.

Twisty

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey StigR :waving:Hoor mor dubh. :stumped: Thats spelt wrong but im sure you know what im trying to say. :grinner: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Hi !

My Clymer handbook for my GL 1800 at page 333 says that the key-off drain will be 5mA or less. If it´s more there must be a repair. I think 5mA will be equal to any bike.

Regards

Thomas / Sweden

:18blue:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Thomas, I think 5ma is for USA models. It's supposed to be about 7ma for European models and I think this is down to the HSS security system drawing an extra bit of power.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

englishted wrote:
Thomas, I think 5ma is for USA models. It's supposed to be about 7ma for European models and I think this is down to the HSS security system drawing an extra bit of power.
Checked my Honda Manual and found nothing about "stand-by leakage". The 7mA as mentioned earlier is OK, it equals 0.17Ah/day or 5Ah in a month. Quite reasonable.
I have no extra stuff, the radio is disconnected, no electronic gadgets, nothing. Guess I have to do it the hard way by disconnecting things until the current reaches normal level..

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I think this is down to the HSS security system drawing an extra bit of power.
Hey englishted :leprechaun: No such security system on my neighbours :18red:but he says that it has a H.I.S.S. fitted. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Nowit is even worse..
The current from the battery is now back to normal, <0.5mA. (0.3mA)
And I haven´t done ANYTHING!!! :baffled:
It is not a heat problem, the bike has not been used in two days and everything is now back to "normal"and I left the bikein my garage with the batteryconnected.
Battery status tomorrow is..?? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

A small update...
I guess I have found the cause now - at last..
Some amateur electrician have installed some electronic stuff. Six relays without any visible function and a small DC-DC converter, probably remains from a homebuiltintercom system!!!
Plus six switches, four without any function. (Intercom??)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

StigR I too had a parasitic drain, after much searching and frustration I put a battery disconnect switch [ harbor freight $ 2.99 ] on my bike. Now for over two months, the battery checks out at 12.8 volts every day. I dont use the radio much so reseting the dial does not bother me, also I use the clock as a stop watch to tell me how long I have been riding [ I have a watch on my wrist ]. Been very happy with the install.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ain't it fun to have a bunch of electrical junk added by POs and no documentation. That seems to be par for the course and a good reason not to add a bunch of stuff without keeping records of the new wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.