Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The bike runs great in every respect.... except i never know when it's not going to start on me.... This has been going on since April. No FI light comes on, I have forced it on by holding the starter in for 10 seconds, side stand down but no FI code light feedback.... long and short flashes. Checked battery draw, doesn't drop below 10.5 volts. Bank angel sensor is good, starter relay is good. I have read only a couple of threads that sound similar to my problem. Have any of you had this issue or read of such an issue. One reader had his cam positioner changed out of frustration and has had no problems for a couple of years now. I have no confidence with the wing.... I ride to work and straight back home, so when it doesn't start I'm not stranded at a gas station, grocery store or wherever.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Does the engine turn over when you have the issue? Figuring no, I would start by making sure the switches needed for starting it are making good connection. When it doesn't start, can you put it in neutral and start it then? There's a few switches that come in to play with what I'm thinking is going on. There's the ignition, the start button, the kill switch, the clutch, and the neutral safety switch. I think your start button is OK, but I would still check/clean it to be sure. You can test them with a multimeter for continuity. Further, you say that your battery draw doesn't drop below 10.5 volts. Is this when it's not starting (doesn't start, but still draws on the battery)or when it's starting?

Figuring that the answer to my first question is yes, then checking the ignition is where I would start. There could be a plug with an intermittent connection causing your problems.

Either way, get back to us with what you find out. :)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry I wasn't more clear.... It turns over great... every time the non-start issue comes up, hence I'm able to turn the motor over for 10 seconds to force the FI light to come on.... With that said, sometime the bike will start up and run while waiting 10 minutes, sometime days. I have tried starting in neutral, in gear, rocking the bike in gear and redoing the process over again. Talking to my friends they have brought up the other switch issues as well. I have not checked them all out yet, but i guess i will. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,352 Posts
imported post

I would think the CPS would definitely set a fault code. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? I am thinking maybe the fuel pump relay may not be contacting sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Darksider- CPS??? When I turn the key on I do hear the fuel pump and all the various relays come up as normal... FYI... Its been 3 weeks since my last dissapointment. All is good for now- just a matter of time:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Well, don't give up on it. I'm glad for you that it has been a while since the last time it happened. CPS I believe is Cam position sensor. I'm now certain that it's not the switches because mine won't even turn over if they are not in the right place. :) I'll have to do some testing on my bike to give more ideas, but like I said, I would start with the ignition if it was turning over without any problems. Maybe an intermittent short or something. When was the last time you looked at your plugs or anything like that? If/When it has the problem, you can take a plug out and set it next to a ground (on the frame, etc...) to see if it's getting spark. I'm sure you know what to look for with that. While your at it, check the plug wires for any wear or cracks, etc... I don't know that these alone would cause your issue but it's possible. Oh, another thing to check is if the grounds are good. Sometimes corrosion on the connected grounds can wreak havoc on the bikes systems. A multimeter and a test light can go a long way in helping troubleshoot an intermittent electrical problem. Just a few ideas to hopefully help you along your way. :)

·
Premium Member
6,739 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure where you measured voltage drop but if it is at the battery that night or might not be good. If you have 10.5 at the battery but only 8 volts at one of the ignition components that could be a problem. Might be as simple as the ignition switch. Those intermittent problems are the worst. Good luck. It might take some persistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.