Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 01 1800 that has had this intermittent problem for years. Every once in a while, like every 6 months, it would light the FI light and blink one long blink with the side stand down of course. But recently it has been doing it every couple of days.

I'm just throwing this out for discussion because in the past I've removed the shelter, cleaned the contacts on both the baro sensor and the ECU and that would hold for 6 months like I said. I did again just a few weeks ago and now it is pretty persistent. Seems like every other day but certainly the FI light is on more than it is off now.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone heard of this with the early GL1800's? I think my only recourse is to get a new sensor. My thinking is that the sensor is marginal at best and I've noticed my mileage goes way down if I ride with the FI light. But a new sensor is about $130 and before I spend my money I'd like a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I don't know a flippin thing about an 1800. But I do know fuel injection.

As a general rule, the ECU will randomly switch a solenoid to monitor between manifold absolute pressure (engine vacuum, or map) and barometric (atmospheric) pressure. It does this to determine fuel needed due to changes in altitude and engine load.

Just because the light is thrown for the sensor, it does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad. Merely that the ECU didn't like, or understand the reading it saw when shifting over to baro monitoring mode.

When in baro mode, the ECU is "expecting" to see something close to atmospheric. But if the solenoid is told to shift by the ECU, and doesn't, or has a plugged line, or...the reading will remain the same as manifold and the trouble code will be set.

But like I said, I don't know a flippin thing about an 1800.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

A bad exhaust sensor can also make the FI light stay on. Does it give shorter flashes after the one long flash?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:

As a general rule, the ECU will randomly switch a solenoid to monitor between manifold absolute pressure (engine vacuum, or map) and barometric (atmospheric) pressure. It does this to determine fuel needed due to changes in altitude and engine load.

Just because the light is thrown for the sensor, it does not necessarily mean the sensor is bad. Merely that the ECU didn't like, or understand the reading it saw when shifting over to baro monitoring mode.

When in baro mode, the ECU is "expecting" to see something close to atmospheric. But if the solenoid is told to shift by the ECU, and doesn't, or has a plugged line, or...the reading will remain the same as manifold and the trouble code will be set.

That makes a whole lotta sense for a guy that doesn't know anything about an 1800. Nice explanation gl.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
glhonda wrote:

That makes a whole lotta sense for a guy that doesn't know anything about an 1800.  Nice explanation gl.
+1. Good post.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you all. Reddy no there are no other flashes just the long one which equates to an error code 10 baro sensor wiring or sensor.

Nice explanation about Fuel Injection glhonda but I don't really see how that applies to my problem or are you suggesting the ECU is bad? There is no mention in the manual of a solenoid to switch back and forth between the BARO and MAP sensors but there is a separate code for the MAP sensor and my bike has never shown any other code other than baro sensor.

I take it so far no one has had this problem with their GL1800... just my luck.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
are you suggesting the ECU is bad? There is no mention in the manual of a solenoid to switch back and forth between the BARO and MAP sensors but there is a separate code for the MAP sensor and my bike has never shown any other code other than baro sensor.
No. I'm suggesting that just because it throws a code for a component, it doesn't necessarily mean the component is at fault.

I also qualified my statements with "as a general rule" and "I dont know diddley".

Does the 1800 have a seperate map sensor? Or is the map/baro sensor one unit?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yes the map sensor is mounted directly on the Throttle Body. This "BARO" sensor is mounted in the air box to read ambient air pressure. As for the solenoid, yes there is one but it is actuated by the ECU for the MAP sensor only. No mention of a solenoid for the BARO sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

I'm going to bow out of this one John. I don't have a schematic, or a bike to look at.

Be very careful (as I posted in a previous thread) about the names of sensors. The MAP is a manifold vacuum sensor and does not require a solenoid unless it is doing double duty as a baro sensor. Because it is a vacuum sensor, it doesn't need to be mounted anywhere. It merely needs a vacuum source(hose).

The MAF (mass air flow) sensor on the other hand, needs to be inline with the throttle plates to monitor the amount of air being introduced to the engine. The MAF sensor doesn't require a solenoid either, so I'm at a loss as to where to take you next.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I appreciate your knowledge of modern fuel injected engines. FYI Honda doesn't use a MAF on the 1800, or any car engine I can think of for that matter. I am familiar with automotive MAP, MAF and IAT sensors but thanks for the reminder. But it does use the MAP and Ambient air pressure sensor (BARO) I can only guess to know when it's up high in altitude to it can believe the O2 Sensors readings?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have a 2001 1800GL that did the same after 70 miles and gradually got worse at 27 mile trip. The right knock sensor code was flashed 2 long 3 short. Replaced the ssensor and it continued flashing as before. Replaced the ECU at $750.00 and it cured the problem. Yes, the flashing code made me finanically!!!!

Phantom

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I found a used BARO sensor on eBay for $15 and I'll try that. As for the ECU they are on ebay as well starting at $150. Now these are used parts off of running GL but you still never know.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

the $15 baro sensor from eBay did the trick. No more FI light and it runs great so far. Only put about 30 miles on it but with the old sensor the FI light came on immediately. New sensor no FI light. I'm happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.