Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2002 GL1800 and was given a seat from an 07 recently. Looking to have a heated seat and was wondering if it is possible, and or what I need to do to have it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Hello Chris14 and welcome to a great site. I have a 02 1800 also and looks like it could be a bit of work involved. Wiring ,relays, switch etc. Someone with way more knowledge on that subject should be along shortly. Again welcome Tony:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

There is a lot to this and it's probably going to cost a lot. Much cheaper to fit the DIY heater kits available under the saddle covering, a lot of people have done this instead.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'm not worried about price I just want it to look proper and be functional. Has anyone ever done this before? Will it work? I've been told I have to buy an ECM, relays and switches etc etc... I was really hoping for someone to tell me what it involves, what I have to order and get it done.

Any help would be reatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

This is very possible and does not cost a lot of money. You have to simply purchase a relay with a diode in it, a couple passenger heat controllers that have the heat thermister within them and a bit of wire and some time.

I have never had occasion to do this but if you want help and some details you need to go to www.GL1800riders.com and sign up and post that you need help. Some of those guys are very good with electronic things and can tell you in detail what to do , and how to do it and it will work when you are done. More than several of them have done this.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

I take it the elements ar ein the seat you have been given, i know they they work with the heated grips as well and if one goes off the others go off as well. Normal heater strips work by putting on 12V and they heat up, you put a resistor in series to limit the power going through to get heat adjustment, thats the basic elements, now for example heated gloves etc have a control unit that could be rigged up to control the seat elements, there will be a way of doing it but not the ecm route or you will be off buying the heated grips as well

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

it isn't really all that difficult at all. i plan on doing this conversion on my 1100. i already have all the goodies for it too. i'll need to really go through it thoroughly with excellent pictures to show you but that can wait for tomorrow, i'm so sleepy tonight :(

basic idea. tap wire off of main power, preferably 10 gauge just to be on the safe side. put inline fuse in wire. i'm assuming you know how relay's work so have 10 gauge going from live power to relay, then out the relay to seat. the next thing you want to ask yourself, do i want an on/off switch? or do i want a timer like in a car? if you're familiar with Mercedes heated seats this is the switch they use. it has a high and low setting and eventually turns itself off. when i do it, i'm pretty sure i will just have an on/off switch though. for the on/off switch tap another smaller wire 16g or 14g from power with small fuse and link this to your switch then to the remaining terminals on the relay, these are the trigger. in my head it's so simple but i'm sure this all looks like garbled mess. once i take pictures and get the info down i'm sure it'll all make sense. until then!

chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.