Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Coming home from an overnight stay camping. About 20 miles from home, (all 4-lane) I noticed a little growling, it got louder as I got closer to home. It is slower than the wheels spinning, so I am ruling out bearings. I am assuming the drive shaft turn "X" amount of times in comparison to the rear wheel. It sounds like a caliper dragging, but the rotor was not warm at all.

I have a '10 trike final drive ready to slap in there, but I wanted to make sure I am on the right track before tearing into it. I was a little low on "differential" fluid, but I didnt think that low. I put some fluid in there, and took it out again, no change. I put it on the center stand and rotated the front and rear wheels, its definitely coming from the rear. I did drag around my camper all weekend.

2nd question within a question. How long for the final drive install? I'm a fairly decent wrench, just haven't done one of those yet. Without sticking my head under there: Remove wheel, remove caliper, shock, and four bolts for the drive unit? I also have the swing arm from the same trike kit. Should I go ahead and install it while I'm there?

I am the 2nd owner. Bike is an 02 with 171K on it. Bought it with 151K. Doubting anything has been changed other than tires and oil.

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts
imported post

Final drive change is pretty simple, like it looks. Swing arm is a little more difficulty but not bad. Sounds like the final drive is the problem anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I thought I remember somewhere that the drive shafts are different between my 02 and the 10 rear stuff I have.

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts
imported post

I put a 2010 final on an 03 last year, no difference other than the brake hose bracket.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Started disassembly tonight. Got the tire off (laydown method). Caliper bracket off. Right side exhaust off (although in retrospect, I may not have needed to remove it). I should have loosened the outside two bolts off the drive first though. With it laid over, its goofy to get to the two right side bolts, and them dudes are on there. Off to sleepy time, continue tomorrow evening.

So to anyone attempting this, Pull the two right side bolts loose (might still have to have the right exhaust off just to get some leverage), lay it down to pull wheel off, pull the caliper bracket, then do the two left side bolts. I should have about 2 hours in doing this, can probably shave 30 minutes off next time. Fairly simple so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.