Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've searched 'til my eyes are blurred, but can't seem to find a previous mention of my particular problem.
I purchased a Corbin seat off of "flea-bay" with the intent of giving myself a lil' more legroom. When the seat came and I went to install it, I noticed that the seller had failed to include the complete wiring harness and I had nothing to connect to the Corbin (Packard Electric Weather Pack) connectors. I was primarily interested as previously stated with more legroom, so when the wiring posed a problem, I just went ahead without it. I contacted Corbin with the usual "they could care less" response. Now I'd like to see this thing work to its full potential, but am not at all certain about how to go about it. The two Corbin connectors seem to need a hot and a ground, but from where?
I'd sure appreciate anyone who could shed some light in this dark tunnel! :?
It seems to me that the proper way would include a switched hot source, so that it would turn off with the bike, right? ( it has a hi/lo/off switch for both the front and rear seat) I know there are spares in the fuse panel and I will venture a guess that the harness pigtail should be no smaller gauge wire than that which Corbin supplied.
Here's a pic of the Corbin connector harness.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

:waving: :clapper:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Oops!
Guess I should've mentioned that it is an '04 GL1800

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I will try to help, not sure of the whole situation.

Your bike did not have the comfort package? The new seat has its own heat control with the lo/med/high range ?

I would wire direct from the battery through a relay and if the heat control does not have an off switch, then you will need two of those. Come off the battery with a typical relay installation and you can find that anywhere, most relays even show how to wire it on the package.

Through an inline fuse of about 15 amps and just cut the connectors on the seat off, and hard wire direct to the wires , provide a ground to the frame at some point(maybe one of the bolts under the seat)

Install your on off switches at some place satisfactory , also one for the passenger seat so it can be isolated.

You would naturally have to remember to turn them off and locate the on off switch in a place you would not bump it by accident and run the battery down.

Hope this helps.

I take back what I said about hard wire, small brain lapse, you have to take the seat off a wing to change a headlight(well not really but that seat has to come off often) so I would use just standard inline plug connectors.

Kit

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I would recommend that you make a quick check for continutiy of the heated seat wireing first. If the electric lines are open "broke" somewhere in the seat it's self, there will not by any heat regardless of how it's hooked up. I have found that I need to be just a bit more careful checking things purchased from fleabay.
The people at Corbin may also help you with a wireing kit and control's. Or at least a electrical schematic.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Kit,
Thanks for your reply!
My bike is a salvaged title (stolen recovery) 2004 GL1800. I don't know exactly what came on it originally. The only damage was a couple of skinned places under the bags (which I had fixed) and a broken shifter peg that was replaced with a rocker shifter, no prob. The original seat did not have a heater, of this much I am sure. There is a "suspect" connector in the wiring harness that has me wondering... it has two brown wires and two green wires which make me think it may be an accessory connector. I plan to check it out further before I get into all that relay stuff. I had hoped to wire it through the switch for the obvious reasons. I can get those Packard Electric connectors, but I have to buy a hundred of them to get two.... not my first choice. I'll post my progress as it comes and thanks again for the reply!
Don :waving:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Corventure,
I read you loud and clear... circuitry reads resistance that changes with the switch position, leading me to believe that it may indeed be functional. But, the proof is in the pudding, right?
Thanks,
Don

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

dat7 wrote:
Kit,
Thanks for your reply!
My bike is a salvaged title (stolen recovery) 2004 GL1800. I don't know exactly what came on it originally. The only damage was a couple of skinned places under the bags (which I had fixed) and a broken shifter peg that was replaced with a rocker shifter, no prob. The original seat did not have a heater, of this much I am sure. There is a "suspect" connector in the wiring harness that has me wondering... it has two brown wires and two green wires which make me think it may be an accessory connector. I plan to check it out further before I get into all that relay stuff. I had hoped to wire it through the switch for the obvious reasons. I can get those Packard Electric connectors, but I have to buy a hundred of them to get two.... not my first choice. I'll post my progress as it comes and thanks again for the reply!
Don :waving:
Not a problem, just hook to the acc lugs in the fuse box. They are on only when the key is on.

Take the left side panel off the one that is over the battery, take the fuse box cover off and top left you will see two screw lugs, made just for acc. Fuse number 10 serves this acc connector so if the seat pops a 10 amp, put in a 15.

That solves the problem of forgetting to turn it off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The heated seat from Corbin for the 2004 just get connected to the acc terminal and ground ,the seat has a built in switch for on and off and low and high for both passenger and driver .. Fairly simple to do , They are a super heated saddle ,I had one on my 2003 wing and you could cook a chicken in your back pocket :)It gets super hot ,So most of the time I had mine on low ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

I can second that, as I bought the seat from Wexy...

Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I see why you guys tires wear out so fast now. Riding around on cobblestones.

Kit

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Kit, Wexy & Orange1800,
Thanks all! You guys are great!
It sounds like a consensus on the ACC lugs.... and I plan on hookin' 'er up on the morrow.
Wexy, how many minutes do ya' think on that chicken? 'bout 90 mins at cruisin' speed and at sea level I'm guessin' ... should be fallin' off the bone by Chattanooga! :cheeky1:
I may have to adjust that recipe for roadkill too! I saw a black bear cub roadkill today that looked like it might be requiring a little more time. Perhaps by Florida, I would say. I have a die-hard Harley rider friend who's always givin' me grief about havin' a Cappuccino machine on my 1800, I can't wait to tell him about my new Corbin Cooker.
I love this forum!
I'll report back after the hookup with the "who shot John", and maybe a nice squab!
Don

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

my first suggestion is to call corbin and order the cable and related hardware you need, second if you end up needing the weatherpak connectors you can buy them in singles from any NAPA store,most have a small selection of them,but are not prewired and you have to buy the other parts to complete,
if you need these PM me and i'll send you the part #'s to look for

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks, neoracer for all your assistance! I didn't get the 411 on the NAPA Packard connection 'til after I had completed the mission.
The project went well with the possible exception of having to reverse the polarity after initial hookup to comply with the LEDs in the Corbin switches (Corbin's wiring had brown wire as ground and green wire as hot, go figger!) Anyway after reversing polarity both switches worked as expected and thanks to my own impeccable sense of timing, I got my heated seat made functional just in time for Spring! :dude:
Harness for Corbin Heated seat
Thanks to all who contributed and especially Ciaran, who changed everything for me by showing me how to now plan all my future trip meals on roadkill! Mmmm, pocket possum!
Let's ride!
Don

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

For chicken ,leave it in your back pocket for around 10 mins at 70 MPH ,For fish .5 mins at 70 mph..

For all other foods ,potatoes ,cabbage,carrots etc ,please read the corbin user guide :cheeky1::cheeky1:

PS ,never wear plastic trousers while using this seat :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem, and tried to contact Corbin to buy the connector. Not helpfull at all. In fact, down right rude. Not impressed with thier customer support. They refuse to sell parts for used seats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.