Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Since I live in AZ, triple digit temperatures are not uncommon in the summer. But riding my 05 GL1800 Trike in AZ in the summer is becoming an uncommon occurrence due to overheating. I just got her out of the service shop where the mechanic changed the radiator cap and said everything else about the cooling system checked out normal. He said in jest: "Either stop and shut 'er down, or just go faster if she starts to overheat on you again." I'm not enjoying the joke. High temps combined with slow speeds or frequent stops (red lights) and/or climbing in high temps will send the temp gauge soaring very, very quickly. I've read some threads here about reversing fans and changing to Evans Coolant. Just wondering if any new ideas have surfaced regarding a remedy for this condition, and how many others are suffering from the same issue?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,796 Posts
imported post

Getting the 1800 burped right is a bit of a trick. Tomorrow I will try to find the thread where Kit Carson explained why they run hot, and how to burp them. .... can't find that link,

Here is a Fred Harmon link though, it is pretty good.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/coolant

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I just asked for help on this subject. my o4 1800 runs hot at slow speeds. just wandering if you have solved the problem. please let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Hey by the way, Where is Kit? Its been a long time i dont see him posting, is he ok? Traveling?
AZgl1500 wrote:

Getting the 1800 burped right is a bit of a trick. Tomorrow I will try to find the thread where Kit Carson explained why they run hot, and how to burp them. .... can't find that link,

Here is a Fred Harmon link though, it is pretty good.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/coolant

·
Administrator
26,996 Posts
imported post

The fans are supposed to go off at above 20mph to keep them from fighting the wind. One thing to check that I can think of right now is look inside the fairing to see if the radiators might be clogged with bugs and debris.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,796 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson is building a house and taking a sabatical for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.