Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:clapper:

I need some help, I am frustrated with the BMW K 1200LT prices and that NOTHING is standard (i.e. intercom system) and that EVERYTHING Is an option. I priced an '05 K1200LT with all the toys added and the cost was over $32K I just recently visited a Honda store and a '05 Wing with CB added (excluding GPS) was significantly much less.

I am new to the Wing but have owned a 750 Shadow (ACE) and even more recently a ST 1300 A (with elec windshield and ABS) but sold it cause I did not like the "sport riding position"

I want to tour and tour with the "toys" but want some educated and logical arguments about buying a 2005 Goldwing. I would plan to put the CB and antenna, a 12 volt aux plug and the volume and push switch for the passenger. I would then see about adding and wiring a GPS (one that I already own) to the bike.

I am sincere, can someout on this board help me and guide me since I am not as familiar with the Wing as I am the BMW K 1200 LT.

Signed,

HELP

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum

I would choose a wing for the following reasons.

1. Horizontally opposed 6 cylinder. Very Smooth.

2. The bike is much more likely to go the distance and maintain resale.

3. Rider comfort in my opinion is unequaled.

4. The Goldwing has proven over time to be a very reliable, comfortable and popular motorcycle.

5. 1200 vs 1800

However, Unless your in a hurry I would be sorely tempted to wait another 6 months for the 06 wing. All sorts of rumours abound about what this bike will actually be like. But is half of them are true then it should be spectacular.

Andrew

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Baron!:waving::waving:

It's simple choice, one is a Goldwing and the other isn't! What's the difficulty?

Try a test ride on both. I like the Wing for it'slow speed handling, the center ofgravity is a good bit lower without having the fuel tankso high, mounting it under the seat was a greatidea. There aremore Honda dealers so help is easier to find if needed. Accessories and parts aremore readily available and cheaperfor the Honda. You don't have to drink wine and eat brie. It's legal toride a Honda without a factory approved riding suit.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Let's see:

BMW Ride off stand

GL Everything else.

The BMW has some rider niceities such as heated handgrip, nice if you tour at 30 F. Electrically adjustable windscreen, nice if you want to impress someone, you'll find that once you get the winscreen set, you'll rarely move it.

And a few other things.

What the Gold Wing offer is reliability, the proven ability to go the distance no matter how fae that is. The engine is smoother, has a much larger amount of torque (pulling a triailer or passenger and luggage).

As far as handling I also like the low speed handling of the Wing, on the highway it's a toss up.

As for GPS, I wired mine in. I've always been one to not buy the TV with the built in VCR for a reason, same about a GPS built into the tank, the screen will fade and the weather (water) will get in.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
imported post

I had a list of bikes to consider before I lumped for the Wing (98 SE) and the BMW was up there along with the ElectraGlide. The BMW has the best accessories, is better handling and good power to weight. It was also a bit bland, didn't appear to have the luggage capacity and felt very tall. I would put it up against an ST1300 in real world situations.

The Wing is more of a pose, but a very usable workhorse (I commute to work every day on mine - 10 miles each way) and apart from the tank range (200 miles max) I have sat for 6 hours (440 miles) got off at home and then hopped back on it and popped into town.

The 1800 is meant to be more 'usable' than the 1500 in the 'popping into town' sense but, in common with the 1500, you may have lots of people wanting to talk to you where-ever you stop!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

Also consider the cost and frequency of the service required. I've long since lost the info but when I last looked at the Beemer the cost of the services ran about 100% more than the GL.

Take a look at the availability of BMW dealers too. If you're stuck in Podunk on a BMW can you get parts or even find someone who is willing to work on it?

Don't get me wrong, BOTH are fine bikes. The extra cost and lack of dealers finally put me off the K1200.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Baron, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this board to choose a 1200LT over a Wing. We all really like our Wings and even though mine is a 1200 I still lust for an 1800. As an ex Bmw owner(K100Lt) I would say that the LT feels alittle more nimble and has somewhat of a sportier ride, but it's amazing how nimble the 1800 is given it's size. A good friend of mine owns a BMW dealership and the maintenance and repair costs of these bikes is pretty high. Definitely check into the cost of owning one of these before you make yourdecision just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Baron, my 1500 is just costing me a small fortune to get up to scratch, but I don't mind, just because I love wings and always have, they are definately the ultimate tourer. There is however one big down side to riding any model of Wing!!! You will never be able to get anywhere quickly. They have a reputation of being very slow. This has nothing to do with the bike or it's manufacture, it is simply, because everyone will want to talk to you about it!!:goofygrin:. If you find that life means you have to live in the fast lane then get that BMW, because you will not be surrounded by admirers when you want to ride it. Even little old ladies will chat to you in the street if you are standing by your bike, if you have a wing.

So, to summerise:

Quiet unasuming guy, likes his own company, in a hurry. - BMW.

Outgoing, social, friendly, half mad, not in a rush. - Goldwing

Pete.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Actually the GL1800 is the first wing to be able to challenge the Beemers and Guzzis across the board. It has the sport handling and agility in the european touring style that made the market for the Beemers and Guzzis. It, like all Wings, far surpasses both for long ride comfort. On high speed highway driving, the Wing in all it permutations has always reigned supreme.

I would recommend it over the Beemer and this is coming from one who would actually go Guzzi if it were not for my preference for two up riding. Of course my Guzzi vs Beemer decision is simple economics, Beemers are a good product, but you pay too much additional for the name.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Baron wrote:
:clapper:

I need some help, I am frustrated with the BMW K 1200LT prices and that NOTHING is standard (i.e. intercom system) and that EVERYTHING Is an option. I priced an '05 K1200LT with all the toys added and the cost was over $32K I just recently visited a Honda store and a '05 Wing with CB added (excluding GPS) was significantly much less.

I am new to the Wing but have owned a 750 Shadow (ACE) and even more recently a ST 1300 A (with elec windshield and ABS) but sold it cause I did not like the "sport riding position"

I want to tour and tour with the "toys" but want some educated and logical arguments about buying a 2005 Goldwing. I would plan to put the CB and antenna, a 12 volt aux plug and the volume and push switch for the passenger. I would then see about adding and wiring a GPS (one that I already own) to the bike.

I am sincere, can someout on this board help me and guide me since I am not as familiar with the Wing as I am the BMW K 1200 LT.
Eric, that is a tough decision to make.. I have ridden the new K-1200 LT & it really fly's. At 116hp that thing has guts. I have also ridden the new Wing but it belonged to a friend so I didn't push it hard enough to find out what it would do. The newK-bike is great at 100 mph & seems to go straight as an arrow on the freeway at speed.

After riding both bikes I would personally take the K-bike for a commuter bike as a single rider. It doesn't have the luggage space of the Wing so the wing would win out there I would also say (just guess here though) that the Wing would be superior for 2 up riding (more room & extra space).

The brakes are great on the K-bike, can't say how good the new Wing brakes are but my friend never complains.

One thing that really impressed me on the BMW was that power windshield.. That thing is great.. I basically ride all weather (all except snow or ice) so end up commuting in both cold (down to 12°-15° or so) and rain. I like a high windshield for the cold but a high windshield in the rain if down right dangerous. Being able to have a power windshield that I can lower as I enter a driving rain storm would sure be nice.

The re-sale value of the K-bike would be higher after a few years but the initial cost of the Wing would off-set that somewhat.

Personally if I had the money I would own both, given a choice just based on the bikes merits themselves I would probably go with the K-bike as I ride mostly single & like to push the edge. Based on a value for what you pay I would have to make a decision after some careful research.

My best advise would be to ride (maybe rent for a day or two) both bikes & see what you personally like & dislike about each.

As a last point-- When I (& my friend) show up at various bike events that contain mostly Harley's it seems my friend on his K-bike is pretty well accepted as one of the group pretty fast,, it usually takes a while for the group to warm up to me & my Wing. I do have a Harley dresser that I take to a lot of events but there are times I am on the Wing as I ride that daily as a commuter bike.

Let us know what to decide to get & why?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

wellI have been having the same thoughts about the LT. But over here theLT is alot cheaper.I don't like the build quality of thegl1800 compared with the gl1500every thing seams more flimsy and smaller. theres not as muchload space on the gl1800/lt1200 as the 1500 plus theres the frame cracks on the gl1800 .Over here the lt1200 devalues very quick which put me of buying one.So for me it's my trusty old gl1500 in till Honda come up with a new wing.

PS been a Honda lover for over 25 years.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

My experience is very limited, but I'd say the BMW is a better bike until it's not - and then it's REALLY not. Besides the high initial price and the (mistaken) idea that all things German are just naturally primo-engineered, the BMW will really soak you when you have to replace parts, and you'll have to replace them much more frequently than on a Honda.

I was riding back from Columbus Ohio to my home north of Baltimore with my son last fall when we met up with a nice guy who was heading home to NYC from Wyoming. (Fellow like myself of Irish ancestry.) His bike and mine were of the same mileage at that time(80+K miles), and I hadn't changed out ANYTHING except wear parts (timing belts, tires, brakes, air cleaner, plugs . . .) He was happy that he'd only replaced the radiator, the drive shaft and one other not too small part (do they have bolt-on alternators?) Of course, our were two very different bikes, but the longevity of components is hardly an issue on Hondas, and it is on BMWs. I'm fairly sure that parts aren't cheap. I can't report from experience (not to gloat, much.)

I've enjoyed riding an LT, felt really sporty, very sharp feedback, solid ride. I think they look better than a wing, not so heavy looking. They have a problem with the rear drive going south without warning, and nothing aftermarket fits them - you almost have to buy from BMW.

I like my Honda because is is very dependable, which I need because I use it for transportation (commute to work every day.)

Jack

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Baron:

After reading all the reply's the gang has done a good job of putting out info as they normally do, they have helped me alot in the past.

All the plus and minus's aside, ill give my 2 cents worth like a guy told me years ago when i was looking at bikes.

ride them both. picture them in your garage, which one would you get up at midnight to make shure she was ok, give once last look at and wipe that tiny bit of dust off. then buy it

No matter what you decide. the tech info here is some of the best anyway period. And im shure everyone would agree, ride safe and enjoy what ever your riding

Troy

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Baron, I came across an article that you might find interesting. The October 2004 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News did a shoot out of the 05 wing vs. the new 1200LT. Actually by the slimmest of margins the LT took the shootout. But, personally I'm still goin to get me one of the Wing things when I get alittle change in my pocket.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey, we're Wing men, an unbiased opinion is going to be hard to find around here and if you do find one, it's wrong!:tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

No bikes are cheap to service and keep up but if you call "BMW" dealerships at get their prices to service and do minor repairs , tuneups etc you may have a Heart attack!

Unless you have huge cashflow and money is not an issue keeping a "Beemer" up can be exhausting !

I still love them but can't afford them !

Best bang for the buck, Ride, Power,Comfort,Upkeep,etc is the "Wing" !:clapper:

and you getto useThe "Worlds Best Bike Website" as a bonus, that's priceless!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I have owned both and I think the Wing wins hands down. It is great to have a huge bike when riding distance and they are both huge bikes. However the wing has a much lower centre of gravity and feels a lot smaller and lighter. Consequence, more fun to ride. I think that the BMW wins on build quality and it definitely has better brakes, but if you want a great bike to use in town or country the 1800 Wing wins for me.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I had the opportunity to look at and sit on the BMW and was not impressed.. I'm 6' tall and the seating position made me feel like I was leaning over and forward... Not too comfortable for an old fogy like me.. I did enjoy the Bose stereo..

The BMW price alone scared the s__t out of me and I still have my eyes on the 06 Wing..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.