Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Talked to a fellow rider yesterday and he has an 06 1800 and he was telling me that the rear air adjustment is flauded on the 1800. I have looked though the forum but haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone know about this problem? :?:stumped:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

I don't believe there is air for any of the shocks for the 1800. I thought its a nitrogen filled shock that is adjustable with an electric system. Set with the memory controls on the lower left hand panel.
Maybe his has gone bad?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

No air adjustment on the 1800 Grant. It's an oil filled shock, adjusted by an electric motor.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was told there's a problem with a hose and that it's a regular problem with the 1800. :15white:

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Only concern is under filled pumps for the preload adjustment.
Also, no air shock on an 1800.
No issues w/the hose. There are some claims the hose "expands" over time! Never seen it but, possible.
Make sure the pump is full-run the preload up to the max 25-leave it there-go ride. You might can a big surprise as to the smoothness!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

There is an issue that can come up on the 1800's with the electrically adjusted hydraulic rear shock assembly.

When you set the preload adjustment it will sometimes not start moving the rear suspension until the number gets between 6 and 11. To correct this you have to disassemble the unit, clean it, push the piston all the way down into the reservoir and reload it with fresh hydraulic oil.

Here is a set of instructions with some pictures for performing the service on the pump.

Servicing the rear shock pump.

and here is a how to from our very own Rayworx:

First thing... and this is important...
reduce the preload setting to zero before doing anything else.

Then remove the right saddlebag... you don't have to remove the cable if you hang it with a bunji cord. It just has to be out of the way of the preload pump.

Then crack loose the banjo bolt that holds the hose to the pump. Don't remove it now... wait till later.

Disconnect the 2 electrical connectors that attach to the pump. You'll need to depress the locking stay on each one and then pull it apart.

Now remove the 2 bolts that hold the pump onto the frame. You'll have to wiggle it out from the frame. Note the angle the hose is facing in relation to the pump. You can make a mark with a felt pen or scribe a mark. Just as long as the hose goes back onto the pump at the same place it came off. If it's not at the proper location the pump won't fit back onto the frame.

With the banjo bolt facing up... remove the bolt and secure the hose so it's above the height of the rear shock so it doesn't leak any fluid. Be careful that you don't lose the crush washers between the banjo bolt and the hose. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE THOSE CRUSH WASHERS ARE DIFFICULT TO REPLACE.

Where the threaded hole is... where the banjo bolt went... use a small screwdriver to push the pump plunger down. Normally it'll depress at least 1/4"-3/8". Make sure that you hold it in the UP position so it doesn't leak.

Now.... pour a light weight oil (5wt fork oil works good) into the hole. There's nothing that really says what kind of oil to use but I've done dozens of these and the 5wt fork oil works fine.

Replace the hose and banjo bolt onto the pump. Make sure to line up the hose with the mark you made on the pump.

Reassemble everything back together in reverse order.Last edited on Sun Oct 17th, 2010 12:41 pm by rayworx"

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

grant wrote:
I was told there's a problem with a hose and that it's a regular problem with the 1800. :15white:
You were also told it's air operated. Best bet is to spend a couple bucks on a service manual and get to know your bike personally.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

No time busy riding, working FT, running a business and coordinating charity rides, O ya and being head chef. If I had some time I would love to read everything about the bike/s that I own but I thought thats what this forum is for, helping others that may not have reading time. Maybe I'm wrong,,, sorry. :whoops:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When I first got my '01 the rear shock adjustment didn't do anything at all until the shock adjustment got to about 16. That meant the total adjustment I had available was 0-9 which left the rear end pretty soft. I hadn't heard about this 1800 quirk butOregonwinger showed methat therein the cylinder and purged it. It isn't a difficult job. He demonstrated how easy it was to check the suspension for this fault. With the key on and the engine off, the bike in a fairly quiet location, run the suspension down to 0 then listen to the pump as you increase the pressure. You can hear the hydraulic pump running and you'll hear it as it picks up the load under pressure. Note the setting on the LCD when the pump begins to labor. It should be pretty close to zero when it does, if it's much than a point or two above 0 there's air in the system and the suspension system can't be set to maximum load. I check mine every month or two but so far after a year and a half it's still picks up the load around the 1 mark.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks exavid for the good word, all I need now is to figure out houw to purge it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Very nice write-up there Hanko.

Running back from NASSIR-4 this year finally did the rear shock in due to very abrasive dirt on the shaft. The seal leaked out all the oil. (bounced all the way from Denver to Atlanta)

Yes, there was a dust seal in place but this dirt mixed with water set up a really good grinding compound. Doesn't take much.

Rebuilt the system and good to go with supposedly a better seal.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bigmick, Old age also teaches you what you should try and do and what you should leave to others. After looking at the pictures in the link that you included I have made a very important decission, either sell the bike or have someone else do work. I know my limits and this sure exceeds them.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Grant unless you have an issue with it operating I wouldnt worry about it. I know many an owner without any problems with it. I have almost 43,000 on mine,99% of the time 2 up and no issues with it. If yours starts to have an issue the quick and dirty way to fix it would be purchasing a trike take off from Ebay or one of the forums.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

grant wrote:
Bigmick, Old age also teaches you what you should try and do and what you should leave to others. After looking at the pictures in the link that you included I have made a very important decission, either sell the bike or have someone else do work. I know my limits and this sure exceeds them.

Oow, get the service manual and or print Hanko's report to make this a great winter project. Not that complicated if you take little bights and organize each step. This forum is only too eager to help.

Change out the air cleaner while your at it.

Ned

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.