Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to The Forum. I'm having a hard time with some Electrics. Bike is having a hard time starting and when it does if idles rough and will soon stall out.

The FI light says the TPS in the IAC are bad. I've been through the shop manual and test it everything out. The IAC had the light blue wire not showing continuity and ground. The TPS sensor had one wire showing ground and no continuity also.

I ran new jumpers for both sensors and they both seem to be working correctly. With the exception of the IAC, showing 9v when plugged into the ECM and 11 volts to 12 volts unplugged from the ecm.

My TPS sensor is showing 4 to 5 volts between yellow red and green red. And then it showing .4 volts from green red to light blue.

I cant get the bike to idle on its own so the running to temp ecm reset wont work. Ive tried the wire jumper at the plug you use to get the mil codes but they keep coming back.

Is there anyway to test out the ecm and see if this is the root of my problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Im using a 05 manual for wiring on an 06 bike so some stuff doesnt match up but i figured it out and i now have no fi codes but bike still doesnt want to start.
I have the airbox off right now, could there be to much air? Or would it run with the throttle body exposed?

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Update. Im using a 05 manual for wiring on an 06 bike so some stuff doesnt match up but i figured it out and i now have no fi codes but bike still doesnt want to start.
I have the airbox off right now, could there be to much air? Or would it run with the throttle body exposed?
It will run with the throttle body exposed.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
If you check the output of the TPS does it change as you slowly move the throttle? A rather common issue with those symptoms can be the Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor. If that is out of range it won't start. Imagine the faulty temp sensor says the engine is 180 degrees. It would not get enough fuel to start.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Did you try a little spritz of gas down the throttle body? Did you check plugs for spark? A spritz of fuel and hold the throttle open slightly? (IAC???)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery was a little low so ive got her on charge til she hits 12.6-13. While she id's charging I'll the tps for a voltage increases while turning, i would assume its fine since my lights are finally off

·
Administrator
24,404 Posts
What did you do to clear the codes? Will it start if you give it a little throttle?

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
Battery was a little low so ive got her on charge til she hits 12.6-13. While she id's charging I'll the tps for a voltage increases while turning, i would assume its fine since my lights are finally off
You could be right but it doesn't have to out right fail to cause issues. It has to fail to set a code. If a sensor is just out of range it can cause an issue as I talked about with the engine coolant temp sensor. Imagine the engine is 40 degrees the sensor says the motor is 200. It sure won't get enough fuel to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.