Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone. I bought a 2006 GL last year, now it did sit in a garage for about a year before I got it. The only problem I have had is the crazy speedometer and cruise control have a mind of thier own. I will try and explain this the best way possible. If going down the road, using the throttle, (it will not happen everytime out), but the speedometer will take a quick dip of 6-7mph, for about 1 second and will return to correct speed that I am going. The problem is when I use cruise control and it does this, the bike slows down those 6-7mph, the cruise will surge very stronge to try and resume the speed it was set at. First time it didthis about pulled the handle bars from me. I took a trip from Louisville Ky to Vir Beach, then to St Augustine Fl and back, it probably did this routine about once every hour. Bike has approx 21,000 miles. Please reply with your great knowledge. Thanks!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!
I'm not sure how the speedometer is driven on the 1800 but if it has a speedo cable might be simply rust in the cable. Lubing it might help.
Might be electronic driven?

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

OK matee,,go to the work shop page and look up adjusting the cruise control,,or do a search..there lies the problem,,it needs adjusting:waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome tdkruse[/align]
[align=center]I'm with pinkpork[/align]
[align=center]on this one.[/align]
[align=center]Sounds like the cruise [/align]
[align=center]control needs [/align]
[align=center]adjusted.[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Misadjusted cruise control will not cause it to suddenly drop rpm every hour...it will just cause a lag (3 or 4 seconds) between the time you set it, and the time the cable slack from the cruise unit is taken up and you can let go. Once it is set it will hold steady, or do what cruise units do in their attempt to maintain rpm. The speedo has no cable as it is electronic. Don't know what is causing this but neither of the above seem to make sense to me as causes.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I t is a rare problem, one that I cannot find an answer to. Just got back from another ride, did not use cruise control, the speedo did it's usual, that 6-7mph dip and return to normal. You have to be watching it to see it happen. But with the cruise ON, you know when it occurs.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

MichiganWing wrote:
Misadjusted cruise control will not cause it to suddenly drop rpm every hour...it will just cause a lag (3 or 4 seconds) between the time you set it, and the time the cable slack from the cruise unit is taken up and you can let go. Once it is set it will hold steady, or do what cruise units do in their attempt to maintain rpm. The speedo has no cable as it is electronic. Don't know what is causing this but neither of the above seem to make sense to me as causes.
I agree.

I don't know what the issue is either, but it is not with the cruise control. Some failure in the speedo unit or whatever sends the signal to the speedo (maybe).

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I not sure on that regulator, I have the official Honda shop manual. Will have answer when I can find the drawing

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

At risk of being totally ignored but will post anyway.
Your problem is either a bad connection to the speed sensor or the sensor itself. The sensor is located on the side of the transmission below the right cylinder head. Could be any one of the connections between it and the instrument panel but with your description of the problem I am leaning toward it being the sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
At risk of being totally ignored but will post anyway.
Your problem is either a bad connection to the speed sensor or the sensor itself. The sensor is located on the side of the transmission below the right cylinder head. Could be any one of the connections between it and the instrument panel but with your description of the problem I am leaning toward it being the sensor.
Why in the world would you be ignored?????? I never would!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

If bike sat for a year I'd also be checking for any signs of mice both in the air filter and generally throuhout maiking sure no wire has been chewed. Stranger things have happened.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hello TD,
Your cruise control issue is a common complaint of the 1800 from the factory.

It seems the factory sets the CC to dip or slow the bike down from your set point and then pick back up again with a surge. This is corrected by adjusting the CC cable at the long jamb nut under the false tank cover. I did mine two years ago when the air cleaner was replaced that year because this cover must be removed for it.

You will see on this site an instruction on how to do this procedure. Check out the threads that detail 1800 cruise control, you will find it.

I set mine up where upon triggering the set button the bike surges oh so slightly.

The speedometer issue may be a function of the bike slow down before the CC takes over. Don't know what else it would be.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the site too.
Ned

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.