Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Gold Wing started making a noticeable hum at around 2,200 r.p.m. this past weekend at the New Hampton Rally. Friends of mine at the motel wondered if they were vacuuming out my room already. No overheating, and is charging normally. Had a dealer I trust listen to it with a stethoscope. NOT the a.d.g. I had feared. Seems all alternator years 2001 through 2008 have the same number. And a new one is........$830.00. WOW. Since it is still charging, I would like to take it out, and have my favorite alternator shop check it over. Has anyone here pulled their alternator on a 1800? Gold Wing has 96K now. I have taken the alternator out many times on the 1500 series. Pretty much the same thing? Disconnect battery, take out 3 bolts, disconnect wiring, and slide it back out?
gumbyred

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, you got wet too!!! several guys have pulled and rebuilt the OEM alt. Some have failed after the rebuild and some have survived. Most folks don’t risk engine damage from an attempted rebuild, and just put new oem in again. Aftermarket cheapies come apart too and again damage the engine internals.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
The upper bolt is hard to get to without a special wrench, other than that no problem.
This guy has a method that should work.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
I recently bought a replacement alternator for my 07 just to have on hand. I don't have an extreme amount of miles, 78,000 but it's also not getting any younger. I bought a brand new OEM on ebay and it was the best price I could find. I had some kind of special at the time through ebay that saved me $50 and that pretty much made the tax and shipping a wash so I payed just under the selling price. Although the ebay $50 deal is gone, the price is still decent. They still have one left.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
I have the Special Tools to take it out and put it back in, total time about 20 minutes flat.

they are not hard to make, several people have copied the ones that I have.

The bottom tool is a Ratch end Wrench that has been cut off just back of the rachet head.
You push/pull that tool to take out the bolts.

the top tool is a solid piece of rod, with end wrenches cut off and welded to the rod at the angle shown. that allows you to use it as a "Break over" tool, use it to break the bolts loose, then use the Push/Pull ratachet to spin the bolts out.

I Paid about $90 for the set several years ago from this guy

GL1800 Alternator Tools

Business Card:

Jay LaCase
22 Lake Aaron Dr
Pineville, La 71360
318-308-0643

To me, I feel like what you are hearing is a bearing that might be going bad.
Remove the Alternator and have a shop replace both bearings.
clean the brushes, or replace as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a bearing to me also. I will take it out, and have alternator checked out. The way I understand it, there will be a ratchiting sound, followed by a dead battery soon if it is the A.D.G. Ridden 600 miles since I noticed it.
I did not get too wet at the Rally. Stayed at the old South Gate. Have camped in the park many times since 1991 though.
Thanks for everyones help.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
Sounds like a bearing to me also. I will take it out, and have alternator checked out. The way I understand it, there will be a ratchiting sound, followed by a dead battery soon if it is the A.D.G. Ridden 600 miles since I noticed it.
06 on didn't have any ADG problems, apparently they are few and far between in 01-05 models.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
06 on didn't have any ADG problems, apparently they are few and far between in 01-05 models.
I have an '02 and have only read of maybe 5 total with that ADG problem.
Knowing that is a Potential thing, is the major reason that I switched over to 5w40 Rotella T6 as it has a much reduced friction level at startup, relieving stress on the ADG.

once the Alternator is spinning, no problem. my '02 has about 117,000 miles and no ADG issues.

One last comment on the ADG.
Do NOT touch the throttle after engine start until the alternator is up and running.... the ECM will increase the Field voltage slowly until it is up to normal strength.... you can hear that happening, the engine slowly lowers RPM after the startup....

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
And don't lug the engine. I know it will pull from 1000 RPM but best not to do that, the engine pulses cause the gears to beat on each other.

Reactions: AZgl1800
1 - 9 of 9 Posts