Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/8" thick lexan...Can I use this thickness for a windshield on my '87 interstate?

Hello! I have an opportunity to pick up a piece of lexan for dirt cheap. Problem is its 1/8" thick and the current windshield on my bike is about a 1/4" thick. Is it possible to safely use this thickness?

Thanks!

·
Large Member
787 Posts
I'm thinking not because of the flexing it will do at high speeds and at crosswinds. However, if you add a brace across it that may stiffen it enough. The next concern would be rocks hitting it at freeway speeds. Not sure about that..

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks for the reply! I was thinking I could brace it across with just another strap. The sheet im picknig up is 1/8" thick, 62"x47" 9030/9034 lexan plexiglass for $30. On jpcycles.com (I did the research afterwards of course) the windshields that are coming up for my bike are 3/16" and my current windshield is 3/16" or 1/4" measured at a quick glance. On that note, anyone make a windshield and use the old shield as a template but make it much larger? Im thinking of adding some height to mine.

·
Administrator
21,860 Posts
The original screen is between 1/8 & 3/16 of an inch. I think you will be fine as long as you make the shield a reasonable size.
Do you have a way to form the shield though? That's where they get their strength.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Hello! I have an opportunity to pick up a piece of lexan for dirt cheap. Problem is its 1/8" thick and the current windshield on my bike is about a 1/4" thick. Is it possible to safely use this thickness?
Thanks!
If your using it as a standard size windshield? From my experience, flat out NO!
If you're max size is going to be approx 16" square with a molded curve, it will suffice but with reservations. A small rock at speed "WILL" crack it.
Nearly all bike shields are 3/16, give/take several thousands.
My first shield was out of 1/8" Lexan and was about 24" x 28" with a molded curve. It vibrated wildly above 50 mph and the first/only bird strike it bent back to my nose then forward and split in two JUST missing my forehead.
Hope this info helps.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your using it as a standard size windshield? From my experience, flat out NO!
If you're max size is going to be approx 16" square with a molded curve, it will suffice but with reservations. A small rock at speed "WILL" crack it.
Nearly all bike shields are 3/16, give/take several thousands.
My first shield was out of 1/8" Lexan and was about 24" x 28" with a molded curve. It vibrated wildly above 50 mph and the first/only bird strike it bent back to my nose then forward and split in two JUST missing my forehead.
Hope this info helps.
Awesome thanks your words have been on my mind all day. Im really leaning towards no now. But, in the interest of not letting a possible $30 windshield go by the wayside...If you had doubled layered it, and had the two screwed together, do you think it would have worked?

Thanks again! Also, I have yet to see how to remove the windshield from my '87 wing right now. Im about to look it up. If its crazy like remove the whole fairing, I my leave it the opaque way it is :p

Ben

·
Born in the USSR
300 Posts
I would not suggest to use such a windscreen. It's too thick and it's not safe. Why not buy an aftermarket one but 3/16" on eBay for $60-65?

As we say in Russia:" Avaricious man always pays twice!"

Regards,

Sergey

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not suggest to use such a windscreen. It's too thick and it's not safe. Why not buy an aftermarket one but 3/16" on eBay for $60-65?

As we say in Russia:" Avaricious man always pays twice!"

Regards,

Sergey
Ok! Ill take all of you alls word for it. No 1/8" lexan for me, doubled up or nothing. I mean, thats why I came here, for advice right? Thankyou!

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
The sheet im picknig up is 1/8" thick, 62"x47" 9030/9034 Lexan plexiglass for $30.
If I had a chance to acquire this sheet, I'd take it. Too valuable as safety glass replacement for doors. I use this stuff on my garage windows, thwarts break ins since the thief will have to make a lot of noise trying to bust it.
Bad part is storage. Longer it sits the brittler it gets.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
If I had a chance to acquire this sheet, I'd take it. Too valuable as safety glass replacement for doors. I use this stuff on my garage windows, thwarts break ins since the thief will have to make a lot of noise trying to bust it.
Bad part is storage. Longer it sits the brittler it gets.
That would be another concern. UV rays from the Sun will make Lexan brittle and craze. From there it's only a matter of time before it simply disintegrates from wind pressure while you're going down the road. My windshield is 27 years old-you will not get that from Lexan.

·
Large Member
787 Posts
Oops, my mistake. I thought Lexan was the stuff taillight lenses were made of and that stuff breaks easily. In that case, my shield is Lexan and original but is considerably thicker than 1/8".

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
'UV rays from the Sun will make Lexan brittle and craze'
yah... I wanted to chime something but figured you'd catch it.
I my younger days, my dad bought Acrylic for storm doors cause it was much cheaper than Lexan, but the Acrylic yellowed, faded and cracked easy after a couple years.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Now that we've decided Lexan (polycarbonite) is the stuff. How do you form it. My only ideas are heat guns.
Screw it to fairing, arched board n clamps on top, n just keep waving heat gun ALL over, till you can grab the top board and twist that extra top lip(flare) into it Hose it off or air coolit?
From those of you who tried how many sample windshields did it take???

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Just went through this

It will work okay but had a friend do this and it lasted about three years then recently a person walked by it in a parking lot and bumped the Plex and it broke right up the entire length.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
If you choose to try the Lexan, you need to coat it with wax or some other sealant. I didn't do it on my Baggershield which is Lexan. We got caught in the rain, and I could barely see through it. That was a very stressful ride.

Ride Safe,
rich

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally wouldn't have a problem running 1/8" lexan...

We used 1/4" thick lexan for the half-windshield on an older enduro car to stand up to rocks/debris/rubber etc at the racetrack and it never had an issue.

Lexan has some ductility and it will deform elastically/recoverably when loaded. I've had some friends of mine shape Lexan wind screens and even a "hood bubble" for a car. The times I've seen Lexan fracture and fail are when it is struck with something pretty violently, or when the cuts on the outside edge are jagged and allow stresses to be increased in that area.

I'd grab the Lexan just because that's a good deal on that big of a sheet. But if you don't want to make a shield out of it, just sell it later or repurpose it! ;)

If you want to make a shield out of it, make sure that you smooth the edges once cut, and that you try not to heat it irregularly. Cut out the size you want, heat up the whole sheet, and then bend it to the contour you want. If you only heat up a small spot, it may deform or fracture a tiny little bit while it cools. Think leaving sunglasses on your dash on a hot day.

-Travis

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I tryed a similar attempt once, had no luck bending it with a heat gun. no luck bending plexiglass either, have to heat the whole piece at once. (lots of heat lamps).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.