Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good evening all

I have an 82 GL1100A that I have been working on. I think I have all the problems solved except for the last one, which is the gas consumption. I had the carbs clean just a few weeks ago the jets were all clogged up. She runs fine, good power all through, idles fine, starts up with no problems, no signs of any leaks; just the mpg is in the teens (half a tank for about 45 miles). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

biggbass wrote:
I'm thinking around 35 or so
Mine is at 37 mpg at interstate speed (70+).

At casual cruising (around 50) she does about 42 mpg.

The gas guage is correct a full. Every where else its a poor estimate. Plan on buying gas within 40 miles after she hits reserve.

Write your mileage down on your next fill-up. Then record it again the next time you fill and use the miles travelled and gallons purchased to determine you mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Don't know about 1100's, but my 86 1200 gets high 30's low 40's.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

how are you finding 1/2`tank. The fuel gauge realy is a joke on most goldwings

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Yeah... if your going by the fuel guage forget it. The way I found a 1/2 tank by the guage is watch my mileage knowing how much fuel I consume in a tank.. divide that in half.. next time you reach that mileage(half used tank) check your guage.. that will be a true half tank used(per volume).

I get about 34 with my 1100. Its always been that way..and from what I gather is about average or just slightly low for the 1100...

My 1800 gets about 40mpg..but those have only 2 carbs and EFI too.. alot changed in those areas over the years.. fuel consumption got better each year I think.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

fill your on 2 whels. Dougtank , set your odometer and run the bike until you are near reserve, fill the tank to the same level and divide the miles by the number of gallons. I usually get 40-42 mpg

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sorry to say I have been going by the guage Saturday I will go by milage and see what I get and let everybody know . Thanks for all the advice.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I must have a strange beast then as I am getting no less than 47 MPG at motorway speeds and have had it up to 50 MPG whilst riding as marshal on a pedal cycle ride
Mind I suppose it depends on how much is in your gallons as I have a reccollection that the american gallon is less than the british one

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

I must have a strange beast then as I am getting no less than 47 MPG at motorway speeds and have had it up to 50 MPG whilst riding as marshal on a pedal cycle ride
Mind I suppose it depends on how much is in your gallons as I have a reccollection that th american gallon is less than the british one

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I just rode 72.8 miles after a carb sync and valve adjustment, and new plugs. I used 1.45 gallons. Roughly a little over 48 mpg on my 83 Interstate. Im happy with that. Finally. David ps The best milage Ive ever gotten was 53 mpg on my old 83 aspencade. It has a better highway gear. Lower rpms. I really miss it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

My 82I gets 30-31 mpg which I believe is very low. It starts with little or no choke but runs fine after that. Is the carb setting too rich? When I rebuilt it, I installed a Jardine exhaust. Do I need to rejet? Carb synch is dead on.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I finally rode my bike for the first time after she sat for a long while and had the same problem as biggbass ( although I figured out mpg based on actual miles ran, and not the guage). I am getting 19 mpg right now... I haven't heard any of you guys diagnose the problem... Does anyone one have any thoughts? As always thanks to all who contribute here!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

Check your plugs to see if it is running rich and on what cylinders. When left to sit there are all kinds of small passages that tend to get plugged in the carbs. The idle jets are obvious but the main jet holder can be a problem too. It is like a tube that holds the jet at the bottom and needle seat for the slide needle at the top. It has a number of small holes in the sides that allow air to mix with the fuel being drawn causing an almost foamed fuel mixture going into the carb throat. if they get plugged pure fuel is all that will be drawn causing rich mixture. and of course poor mileage. the small passages from the air cuttoff valves feed the air to here, and can be plugged too but not as often. pretty much means removing the carbs to fix as they are mostly air passages Seafoam and such won't help them.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

I must be very fortunate went for a ride last Sun. riding 2-up put 201 miles on her stopped to fill her up and she took 4.3 gal not to bad I'd say for a 29 yr. old bike :coollep:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Wow 46... I'm jealous! I have been averaging 33 on this trip up to michigan now. better than my 19 to begin with.... but I'd love to get up to 46!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Anything in the 37-42 margin would be deemed "normal" with these bikes.

It means that all is well, carbs and ignition are tuned. Anything more and you may be running lean (performance would suffer a lot) and much less and there's a problem somewhere between the tank and the pipes.

I get 40mpg (avg) out of my '81 GL1100.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Here we go again, imperial gallon is larger than US gallon, that said 1980-1100 gets 60-65 at 60 MPH constantly for the past 6 years with all the crap that is put in Ontario gasoline at regular, 87 grade.

The worst mileage is the tank that is stored over winter with age and oil and Seafoam in the gas, average 55 MPG until all that tank is burned the new gas put in.

Findings that have helped performance and MPG:

Do not baby the bike.
Keep tire pressures up, no lower than 31 front, 41 rear
10W40 JASO spec oil
Spark gap, kept at minimum spec range
Timing right on
Advance verified working
Let cold bike warm to just past blue in gauge then rev
Shift at 2500-3000 or higher
Do not lug the engine
Run at 7000-8000 at least 1x per outing
Never over heat