Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well we replaced the sensor and now the fan kicks on. :clapper:

But, now somethings up with the starter. Sometimes it just kinda grinds like its not engaging, but then itll start just fine. But we had it running and the starter started smoking.My dadthought since its the alternator too that its over charging?(I didnt even know they were one in the same, im just an amiture) So I guess its off to the garage tommorow to have it all checked out by a pro, it needed a check up before the big trip anyways.

---Eric

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984Aspencade wrote:
Well we replaced the sensor and now the fan kicks on. :clapper:

But, now somethings up with the starter. Sometimes it just kinda grinds like its not engaging, but then itll start just fine. But we had it running and the starter started smoking.My dadthought since its the alternator too that its over charging?(I didnt even know they were one in the same, im just an amiture) So I guess its off to the garage tommorow to have it all checked out by a pro, it needed a check up before the big trip anyways.

---Eric
Eric, the starter and alternator (stator) are two different critters. Sounds like you have a short or something wrong with the starter clutch system. There's a lot of info on this forum if you search for starter on the top of the page. One consensus about pulling the starter, keep the bike on the side stand so the sprocket and chain doesn't fall down into the engine.

:waving::waving::15red::waving::waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Are you sure the starteer button isn't sticking? This would make the starter motor keep spinning when the engine is running and will ruin the starter will wear out very quickly.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Im pretty sure the button isnt sticking. It seems like its over charging or something but I dont know for sure. Once we get it figured out as to what it is ill update.

---Eric

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Eric, bump start the bike and get a meter across the battery terminals to se if it's overcharging.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Did you get to the bottom of this problem Eric?When new problems crop up that I haven't heard of, it's nice to know the outcome. :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

unfortunatly no, we ended up taking it to the shop.

---Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.