Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been trying to decide which GPS to get using price, features, bike friendly etc as my measuring stick. I believe I have decided to get a new or refurb 2720 from Amazon but one little question still eludes me. Its a simple one to. Here goes. Does this unit have a audio jack so I can plug in through my FM modulator cord and get audio directions over my headset? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Oldshack wrote:
I have been trying to decide which GPS to get using price, features, bike friendly etc as my measuring stick. I believe I have decided to get a new or refurb 2720 from Amazon but one little question still eludes me. Its a simple one to. Here goes. Does this unit have a audio jack so I can plug in through my FM modulator cord and get audio directions over my headset? Thanks.
Contrary to what Mr. Bagmaster told you, the answer is yes, if you have the motorcycle mounting kit. Like the Quest units, the sound is output through the mounting jack, and the motorcycle mount cable has a headset jack.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1053

John

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

Yep, my 2730 uses the external power cable to provide external speaker audio out.

Fantastic GPS, just wish updates weren't so expensive.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Oldshack wrote:
Contrary to what Mr. Bagmaster told you, the answer is yes, if you have the motorcycle mounting kit. Like the Quest units, the sound is output through the mounting jack, and the motorcycle mount cable has a headset jack.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1053

John
good find, I didn't look for that on the Garmin site.

True, in the sense that you have to have that kit to make it work through the system on the bike.

True also for what I said concerning the unit it's self doesn't have a headset/audio jack output on it like My Magellan 3000T does. I only needed an eight dollar cable to jack my 3000T into the Clarion 2 system in order to hear the voice prompts through my headsets. Also mine's also an mp3 player whereas the Garmin he's looking at is not.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
True also for what I said concerning the unit it's self doesn't have a headset/audio jack output on it like My Magellan 3000T does. I only needed an eight dollar cable to jack my 3000T into the Clarion 2 system in order to hear the voice prompts through my headsets. Also mine's also an mp3 player whereas the Garmin he's looking at is not.
Garmin has designed it for the motorcycle, so they are expecting you to hook it to motorcycle power, and they are not expecting you to have a lighter/accessory jack, so the motorcycle kit has a power cable that is electrically filtered to help eliminate a motorcycle induced buzz and is designed to hook up at the motorcycles accessory connections at the fuse panel.

The MP3 player is a nice addition, but so far the units I've seen with them built in, leave a lot to be desired when trying to use both the MP3 and the NAVI features at the same time.

BTW, I didn't just find the info, I was answering as someone familiar with these units, as Oldshack was asking, not someone just pulling partial information off a website. ;)

John

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Yep, my 2730 uses the external power cable to provide external speaker audio out.

Fantastic GPS, just wish updates weren't so expensive.
I ordered the update map dvd for my Magellan this morning. Not cheap even at $65.67.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:

BTW, I didn't just find the info, I was answering as someone familiar with these units, as Oldshack was asking, not someone just pulling partial information off a website. ;)

John

:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey thanks guys for the input. I think I would like to go with that Garmin and get the adaptor as mentioned above. I appreciate your help.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Oldshack,

I have that exact unit--- a 2720 with the adapter. You should also get a multi input audio adapter that has override capability.

I listen to my Ipod through the Auxiliary jack and when the GPS or the Radar Detector go off they override the Aux input. When they are finished the sound switches back to the Ipod. There are a number of these devices on the market, I bought a Kennedy 2 input system....Motorcycle Switch Sets

There are even ones you can get to use your cell phone with your intercom system, but I prefer to leave that in the trunk until I need it.:)

Oldshack - The last 2 years I've made trips to Eufaula from Tacoma, WA. Both times the wind was pushing me sideways hard enough that it felt like I was wearing out the side of my tires on one side. I have to admit though I do like the area around Robbers Cave a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.