Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been restoring a 1980 gl1100i and have gotten to the point of starting it. After some small issues that I quickly fixed I got it running but very rough. Since I completely rebuilt the carbs i figured that it just needed to be adjusted and synced. After attempting this it was obvious that something else was wrong. It seemed to be missing on one cylinder. I checked for spark and got it on all cylinders but then I noticed that the #1 plug looked just like it did when it came out of the box new. It was not wet from gas either so I suspect a fuel issue. The others show typical signs of use.

What could cause the #1 cylinder only to not get fuel?

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Loosen the drain screw on the #1 bowl and see if there is gas in the carb.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Ok this is funny (sort of) I had the same problem on my 1100 after i rebuilt the carbs. Found out the problem was ME!!!! I some how put the float in my # 3 carb upside down.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I've had similar issues with mine and I suspect something is not right in the idle/pilot circuit. The bike idles fine & has lots of get up and go but when I try & turn in the pilot screw on #1 it doesn't slow the rpms down like the other carbs will. Hence something not right.

The bike can be hard to start and that's when I notice the plugs will be dry not wet. I replaced the fuel pump last week & the bike seemed to start better but I haven't really had a chance to play with it. Too cold up here and takes too long to heat up the garage.

I am in the process of replacing this set of carbs.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I unscrewed the float bowl screw a little and gas did come out. I'm not sure how much there is but it dripped for quite a while until I tightened it back up. I can't be sure there is anything going wrong with the floats so I will probably have to remove the carbs again. I wanted to solicit some input before I had to resort to that.

I forgot to mention that the bike does not idle very well at all.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

If you could catch and measure how much gas comes out of the bowl there should be 1 1/2 ounces. You could also have a vacuum leak at the o-ring where the intake runner bolts to the head.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did have to take the carbs loose and slide them over to remove one of the vacuum chamber covers (forgot to install seal ring). I very well may have gotten the manifold o-ring on crooked. I will check later today and report back.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Hello Babo,

I feel your pain! You might take out the screw in the intake runner where the synch gage connection is and squirt a shot of fuel or carb cleaner to be sure it is just a lack of fuel. Then I guess you should be sure the bowl is getting adequate flow (comes from #3 bowl via a cross-over tube.) If so, then look at the float, again.

I redid my carbs and wound up pulling mine again to recheck the slow jets.

There are great photos and tipson the Randakk website.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

One of my cylinders was running rich after my Randakk rebuild. Turns out the float level was way off, and I suspect your's is stuck shut or something.

Did you verify the jets wereclear when using the carb cleaner? You did use carb cleaner, right? Boiling water doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

babo4 wrote:
I did have to take the carbs loose and slide them over to remove one of the vacuum chamber covers (forgot to install seal ring). I very well may have gotten the manifold o-ring on crooked. I will check later today and report back.
Let us know how this pans out. Air leaks at the manifold will definitely make the cylinder miss.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK, I have finally been able to get back to my wing after a busy week. I took the carbs off the bike and found a couple of things. First off I found one of the manifold gaskets was completely mutilated. It was off the #2 cylinder which was at least fireing. I then took the float bowl off the #1 carb and found it bone dry. I meen you can tell that it never saw any gas. This is the carb to the plug that looks like it is right out of the box. I did make sure that the float itself worked freely and is not stuck.

What would keep gas from getting to that carb? The other three seem fine.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Re-check the gas cross tube between #3 and #1.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

There are two tubes. Which one supplies the gas? Big one or little one?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have re-installed the carbs after replacing the float bowl gasket and the manifold o-ring that I found bad. I also adjusted the valves which were really not off by much if at all. I cranked it up and at first things seemed better but now it is back to where it was before. The number one cylinder is dry. I have hooked up a set of vacuum gauges which shows #3 carb has good vacuum but #1 is very low. I can't adjust them close to each other or the engine will die.

What is keeping fuel from the #1 carb/cylinder? I am at a loss.

·
Administrator
26,195 Posts
imported post

Did you take the float valve seats out and clean the screens?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I did check the micro filter both when I replaced them with new ones during rebuild and when I pulled the carbs off the second time. It did not appear to be dirty or clogged at all. I still am not sure which cross over tube carries the fuel, big one or small one?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the clarification. I think at this point I will have to take the carbs out AGAIN and go through both #1 and #3 to see what is going on.

Does anyone know if there are any good cut away drawings of these carbs? The ones in the shop manual don't go into that depth of detail. I would like to know where the passages that you can't see go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.