Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Besides honda and yamaha oil is there a generic 10-30 or 15-30 nonenergyconserving oil out there <nonsynthethic>.i to run in the winter. 10-40 is a little heavy for my liking in the winter. Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Valvoline 10w40 is non energy conserving, but the 10w30 is, so you might go 10w40. Otherwise Shell Rotella T has a 10w30 that is non energy conserving. Walmart sells Rotella, but rarely has the 10w30. You need to be in farm country or cold regions to find it.

·
Banned
30 Posts
imported post

Honda recommends 10-30 on all GL1800

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You might find it very interesting to know two things.

One both the oils you have mentioned are based on a standard 10 weight oil, and at cold temperature are the exact same. Oil does not obtain its maximum viscosity until at operating temperature, they do this with polymers.

Also if you use synthetic oil the engine will run backwards. :D Kit

HowStuffWorks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I've used Valvoline 10/30 or 10/40 in all my bikes since multi-viscosity oil was invented. Never had a problem with either one.

Q

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
You might find it very interesting to know two things.

One both the oils you have mentioned are based on a standard 10 weight oil, and at cold temperature are the exact same. Oil does not obtain its maximum viscosity until at operating temperature, they do this with polymers.

Also if you use synthetic oil the engine will run backwards. :D Kit

HowStuffWorks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"
I read the link and it is one of those things that i dont always believe everything i read.Not being agrumentive anddefinitly not a scientist but my experience tells me a 10--30 oil pours much quicker when cold than a 10-40 because its a lighter weight oil. JB

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

in my clymer maual for 1993-1995 gl1500 it rates the different weights for use as:

sae 10w30 for 10-90f

sae 10w40 for 10-over100f

sae 20w40 for 30-over100f

sae 20w50 for 30- over110f

& other info i have read all say that cold 10w30 & 10w40 are the same but the 10w40 is a little thicker hot.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I've worried over the "best" motor oils to use in my motor vehicles because I tend to be over-the-top in maintenance. I'm an old-school 3000 mile oil change interval and don't know that I will ever be able to completelychange, but I have been trying it on my wife's car doing the factory recommended 5000 mile change. So far all appears to bewell. There's a lot ofscience and technology behind these new-fangled engines along with significant improvements over the years in motor oils, so I will always use the factory recommended oil viscosity.

As long as I can afford it, I'll continue to use Honda's synthetic blend and change it every 3000 or less (so far it's been well less). I think I'll be okay. I might try going 5000 in my newtruck because I baby it...maybe...

DeDub

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.